theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 27-02-19, 06:17 PM   #371
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_b82 View Post
That's true.... or maybe you do a lot of town miles?

I know that used to kill the ZS....

I'm hoping to have both poke and little smoke tho
The power is awesome and it is as quick as my 160 TF and that's quick.

I suppose double the torque sorts out the extra weight of the derv.

MPG has never bothered me as I just enjoy pushing it up to the red line

Old 28-02-19, 09:41 AM   #372
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
The power is awesome and it is as quick as my 160 TF and that's quick.

I suppose double the torque sorts out the extra weight of the derv.

MPG has never bothered me as I just enjoy pushing it up to the red line

Ah - that's why then, I've never really pushed mine up that way, I found it was faster to short shift and ride the torque, as the curve is so much in favour of the low end on the L-series....

As you say, it matters not if you can afford it & you have fun in the process!
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-19, 12:43 PM   #373
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Old 14-03-19, 12:38 AM   #374
gAZ

gAZ is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_b82 View Post
Ah - that's why then, I've never really pushed mine up that way, I found it was faster to short shift and ride the torque, as the curve is so much in favour of the low end on the L-series....

As you say, it matters not if you can afford it & you have fun in the process!
Quick question. When should I expect the turbo to be making max boost pressure?

If I was testing in 3rd gear for example?

Is there a recommended procedure for testing boost pressure?

I'm trying to adjust the actuator to 19psi but the readings from the torque app seem inconsistent. 17.9psi, 18.5 psi , 19.5 psi sometimes hitting 20 psi
gAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-19, 09:31 AM   #375
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by gAZ View Post
Quick question. When should I expect the turbo to be making max boost pressure?

If I was testing in 3rd gear for example?

Is there a recommended procedure for testing boost pressure?

I'm trying to adjust the actuator to 19psi but the readings from the torque app seem inconsistent. 17.9psi, 18.5 psi , 19.5 psi sometimes hitting 20 psi
A standard turbo will start to spool at about 1500 rpm, and should be hitting full boost by about 1800 rpm if my memory is correct (I've not had one fitted for many many years).

I found the best method was to stick in as high a gear as I could on as straight a piece of tarmac and just floor it for as long as you can, allowing the car to come on boost in the process. eg start with the car off boost and let it wind up, this avoids any spiking.

Using a higher gear will give you longer to get a more consistent reading as well - but has issues around top speed achievable if it is on the road.

It's ok to have a little spike of overboost if you just jam your foot on the throttle while on boost, but it should settle down quickly.

I don't know if the app you're using takes into consideration Ambient air pressure, but a half a PSI here and there is nothing to worry about on the diesel, and there are some out there now that think running over 20PSI is fine for the turbo too, so as long as it stays below 20 for the most time you should be ok.
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 28-10-21, 01:07 PM   #376
p_b82
Site Supporter

So been a hugely long time since my last update - and part of that was no news, part of that was bad news & another part has been the pandemic....

But.... There is progress!

Turned out the turbo was in a bad state; and was overboosting with the vanes wide open - eventually managed to get it sorted out by sending it off, but we had to wait post lockdowns last year for various factors - moral of the story, even a reputable tuning company can get it wrong, and worth budgeting for getting to checked after a first run - if it doesn't behave instantly as expected.

The controller is now in, and it's had a few sessions on the dyno in the very very very early stages of mapping both it and the ecu.

Don't want to mention numbers at this stage as it's so early still - but the shape of the torque curve is lovely - almost flat in fact, but a little to the "right" than we were hoping for... but again it's still very early stages so not a concern at this time.

Fingers crossed I'll be able to give some more frequent updates now going forwards
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 28-10-21, 03:22 PM   #377
peterzs
promoted bloke!

what a tease.

158 and 241 last time, but that was a few years ago now.

Will love to see the figures when you are happy with the setup.

Good luck with it.
Old 29-10-21, 11:38 AM   #378
p_b82
Site Supporter

I've had 170/270 out of the old setup - but that was HG melting power/torque due to the crappy hybrid turbo.

I can say with a high level of confidence, with what I know currently, that will be eclipsed.
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 29-10-21, 12:09 PM   #379
peterzs
promoted bloke!

good going, it will certainly fly.