theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 01-06-13, 02:37 AM   #1
waynester

waynester is on a distinguished road
ZS 180 v S Type R Jaguar

I'm not one for head to head comparisons on the road.. certainly not racing, but a little incident yesterday evening gave me reason to smile.

I was on my way to picking up my son, around 6pm.. rush hour(ish).
An Stype R Jag, you know..the quick one, V8 I believe? Anyway, he was sat on my ass for a few miles..not able to pass due to traffic..& me making sure I gave it little squirts of acceleration exiting/straight over various roundabouts.

I was going to be turning right on a large roundabout that went under the A1M, then take the 3rd exit onto the A1M.
Now..the slip road is long & a reasonable incline..& he was still on my tail, & I knew he wanted to overtake me & blast up the sliproad.. y'know, get me out of his way with ease.
So.. feeling a little combative I thoughtni would give it some beans as well.
As I turned left onto the slip..I dropped into 3rd & nailed it untl just before the redline, & then bang..into 4th, foot to the floor. Matey in the Jag did the same, he got about a 1/3 of the way passed & then no more. My car felt great & sounded just as good! And there he sat as we drag raced up this long uphill slip road.

Once at the top & getting onto the A1M I slowed as we were already at an indecent speed.
He..irritated that he couldn't pass using sheer grunt kept going. As he passed I looked over & smiled, he looked dead ahead...& that was that. All over in a few seconds, but I felt honour restored with my 'old Rover' that was in his way. Maybe he learnt something..that these 'old Rovers/MGs' are a little bit..quick.

Apologies for the drawn out explanation.

*Car was SOTW August '12
waynester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-13, 04:48 AM   #2
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
4 litre supercharged v8 i think, about 5 seconds to 60, quick cars....
Old 01-06-13, 05:28 AM   #3
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Satisfying for you, but, IMHO either he wasn't giving it the full beans, or it wasn't a type R.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-13, 07:10 AM   #4
carmadbaker

carmadbaker has a spectacular aura aboutcarmadbaker has a spectacular aura about
Think logically though....
400bhp 2 ton car= 200bhp/ton
180-200bhp 1.2 ton car= 160-180bhp/ton
Odds arent miles away really are they, good to see a rover can still hold its own
and to think i nearly traded my Elise for an s-type r last week!

-MK1 MG ZS T16 Turbo 2.1
-Lotus Elise S2 111

You Can't Spell Dangerous Without "Dan"
carmadbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-13, 07:30 AM   #5
bowthruster

bowthruster has a spectacular aura aboutbowthruster has a spectacular aura about
Well whatever model jag it was,you bet he would have been fuming!!You see it all the time-big flash motors trying to intimidate you into moving for them.So i say NICE ONEAnd yes power/ton isnt far off either as carmadbaker said
Work safe, and remember all technical problems can be resolved with a hammer, the trick is knowing where to hit it and how big a hammer to use (I often find it may also help to have a spare bit in the shed to replace the bit you have just mullered
bowthruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-13, 08:10 AM   #6
fastmike

fastmike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmadbaker View Post
Think logically though....
400bhp 2 ton car= 200bhp/ton
180-200bhp 1.2 ton car= 160-180bhp/ton
Odds arent miles away really are they, good to see a rover can still hold its own
and to think i nearly traded my Elise for an s-type r last week!
You missed out the important figure for the Jag ....541 nms ( 399 lbs feet) of torque.@ 3500 rpm

MG ZS180 0 - 100 mph........20.7

Jag S type R 0-100 ........12.7

Last edited by fastmike; 01-06-13 at 08:18 AM.
fastmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-13, 10:14 AM   #7
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Do the figures really matter in this story? Not a jot, it's all about the smile factor and feeling good that we have had some fun and maybe upset someone with a bigger wallet and ego
Old 01-06-13, 10:49 AM   #8
Blade9274

Blade9274 is on a distinguished road
Good lad, I thought a nice Merc 220cdi was on my ass last week, got to the duel carriageway after a roundabout so I nailed it and so did he...... but it wasn't a C220CDI it was a C350CDI and he left me in my 180 standing, DOH lol
Blade9274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-13, 10:52 AM   #9
splinter

splinter has a spectacular aura aboutsplinter has a spectacular aura about
Couldnt agree more with Stamford. Amazing how many of these "posh" cars are driven by big egos.

Think the old adage....its not what you've got, its how you use it...comes into play here.

Well done mate!!!
splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-13, 11:03 AM   #10
bowthruster

bowthruster has a spectacular aura aboutbowthruster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade9274 View Post
Good lad, I thought a nice Merc 220cdi was on my ass last week, got to the duel carriageway after a roundabout so I nailed it and so did he...... but it wasn't a C220CDI it was a C350CDI and he left me in my 180 standing, DOH lol

Been caught out like that before!
Work safe, and remember all technical problems can be resolved with a hammer, the trick is knowing where to hit it and how big a hammer to use (I often find it may also help to have a spare bit in the shed to replace the bit you have just mullered
bowthruster is offline   Reply With Quote