theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 27-01-09, 04:30 PM   #1
rbull51

rbull51 is on a distinguished road
Is there a way of fitting the 'AUTO' electric window switch?

As above, i wanted to fit the front drivers side 'auto' electric window switch from the rover 45 that lets you put the window down as far as you want then let go or all the way down with a click down as apposed to the zs's one touch down switch. I managed to get one and tried to fit it the other day but it wont fit and the connectors are different, also the zs has a 3 pin connector and the r45 a 4 pin type. Is there a way of getting it to fit?

Last edited by rbull51; 27-01-09 at 04:36 PM.
rbull51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-09, 05:19 PM   #2
michaelb

michaelb is on a distinguished road
not sure about mk1's but i would've thought the switches and the way they work are the same for both cars after all they shared a production line.

i think the auto writing on the switch was removed on post project drive cars as my dads 2001 45 has it on the switch and my 2005 ZS doesn't but both share the same function.

my mk2 45 and ZS both had this function.

are you sure that yours just isn't working properly??
michaelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-09, 06:26 PM   #3
rbull51

rbull51 is on a distinguished road
Mine works fine but its just annoying when i only want the window down slightly but have to let it go all the way down them put it back up again, i dont like pressing it to go up when it is on its way down to stop it if you see what i mean. i know its a little fussy but there you are!! i thought being from a mk1 45 it would fit straight into a mk1 zs but no....
rbull51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-09, 06:32 PM   #4
michaelb

michaelb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbull51 View Post
Mine works fine but its just annoying when i only want the window down slightly but have to let it go all the way down them put it back up again, i dont like pressing it to go up when it is on its way down to stop it if you see what i mean. i know its a little fussy but there you are!! i thought being from a mk1 45 it would fit straight into a mk1 zs but no....
might depend on the age of the cars......i'm told later mk1's use mk2 wiring.

'i dont like pressing it to go up when it is on its way down to stop it'

that's the way it's supposed to work.......all my mg's or rovers have worked the exactly same way.
michaelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-09, 06:32 PM   #5
vinny1979

vinny1979 is on a distinguished road
you used to be able to wire this function in on the passenger sidein the old r8 rovers. my coupe had it done, so i cant see why not! its only a little window ecu , and knowing mg rover itll be the same parts!
93 Rover 220 GSi Turbo, 99 Golf GTi turbo Former owner of mk2 180 bx54 kgp - Ignition blue
vinny1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-09, 07:42 PM   #6
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Mine has the switch as you describe it for the 45.

Maybe you need to get the complete door loom from the 45 to get it to work.
Old 27-01-09, 08:42 PM   #7
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbull51 View Post

easiest way to do that fella, is press and hold switch till it goes down to your desired height then release and it will stop there, one touch only works if you press and release the switch, not hold it for more than 1 sec i think it is
Old 27-01-09, 09:00 PM   #8
afcbadam

afcbadam is on a distinguished road
press it lightly and it doesnt go in to the one touch function. mine i just press and quickly press it up to cancel it if i only want it open a couple of inches

Regal Autosport Astra GSI Turbo 304 bhp 356 lb/ft

Thorney motorsport Vectra vxr 305bhp 398lbft

Now its time to build a big turbo MG ZS

afcbadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-09, 09:51 AM   #9
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
my mk1 03 plate has the one touch down function.. and i just tap it up to cancel it opening and stop it where i want it.

I get cnofused operating the passenger side where i dont have that option lol
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-09, 10:06 AM   #10
Glen290

Glen290 is on a distinguished road
you dont need to tap it up to cancel it, when its on its way down, press down again to stop at desired position, works on mine...

www.bowluk.com
Glen290 is offline   Reply With Quote