theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 05-05-11, 09:05 PM   #31
chris106

chris106 is on a distinguished road
What would that mean about the coolant then?
I do like it, would change to oe wheels love those! Just want one with a few nice more like this so I don't spend all my money again lol was already reading about a manifold group buy
chris106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-11, 09:10 PM   #32
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris106 View Post
What would that mean about the coolant then?
I do like it, would change to oe wheels love those! Just want one with a few nice more like this so I don't spend all my money again lol was already reading about a manifold group buy
Normally coolant is pink/red and it should be Organic Acid Technology (OAT) as this is what was specified by MG You can get blue/green OAT coolant but I doubt it is tbh
Old 06-05-11, 07:26 AM   #33
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
The green/blue coloured anti-freeze is an older specification and has poorer corrosion inhibitors and is only good for around 2-3 years max. If left too long in an aluminium engine it will actually corrode it from the inside. Generally found in cast block engines and heads. The red/pink coloured coolant called OAT (organic acid technology) is a different concoction and does not have any of the silicons or phosphates that can lead to corrosion. The can be good for several thousand miles and 4 years of use. Therefore the KV6 should have OAT spec as it is all aluminium and as stated in the owners handbook.