theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 05-05-11, 11:03 AM   #1
lawrence-zs180

lawrence-zs180 is on a distinguished road
mk 2 120 info

As you know the 180 is having to be sold but having a look round for something else and everything looks and feels pedestrian so I have decided to go for a MK2 120 but having never owned one or even looked into specs etc I was wondering if you guys could point out the usual issues that they have...
I know that there is the hgf issue but as Ritchy say's its about 2 hours.. so half a day for me lol but I'm also looking to mod it a bit so exhaust and lower it.. am I correct in thinking that civic coilovers work or is that just the mk1's?
cheers guys
Old 05-05-11, 02:03 PM   #2
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence-zs180 View Post
As you know the 180 is having to be sold but having a look round for something else and everything looks and feels pedestrian so I have decided to go for a MK2 120 but having never owned one or even looked into specs etc I was wondering if you guys could point out the usual issues that they have...
I know that there is the hgf issue but as Ritchy say's its about 2 hours.. so half a day for me lol but I'm also looking to mod it a bit so exhaust and lower it.. am I correct in thinking that civic coilovers work or is that just the mk1's?
cheers guys
Most issues are similiar to the V6 bud. Obviously as you have noted check the HG and anything associated with the cooling system - stat, rad etc. I am sure you can still get the Xpower lowering springs for the 120 and all 4 pot K series if you don't want the expense of coilovers
Old 05-05-11, 02:16 PM   #3
lawrence-zs180

Pg1 box on them to right... means a sheddist kit again, best get on the waiting list haha.
Ahhh balls that means that if I go for the one im looking at I have to change my sig to... found one with fsh, 50k and full 180 kit for 1800... just gotta shift mine first unless him being a autotrader 'dealer' means he will take mine as px
Old 05-05-11, 02:23 PM   #4
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence-zs180 View Post
Pg1 box on them to right... means a sheddist kit again, best get on the waiting list haha.
Ahhh balls that means that if I go for the one im looking at I have to change my sig to... found one with fsh, 50k and full 180 kit for 1800... just gotta shift mine first unless him being a autotrader 'dealer' means he will take mine as px

sounds good, hopefully he would offer you a decent price for the trade in~
Old 05-05-11, 02:24 PM   #5
lawrence-zs180

hope so lol
Old 05-05-11, 02:28 PM   #6
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
the 120 does not have the same issue with the hydraulics as the 180....

i think it is due to the different bellhouse mounting for the slave - and probably a lower pressure clutch as it has less torque in the 1.8.....
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-11, 02:31 PM   #7
lawrence-zs180

really.. ohh snap! thats one less issue. I read something somewhere about saggy bumpers and rusting barckets but I can remember where... anyone know the deal with those?
Old 05-05-11, 02:32 PM   #8
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
The saggy rear bumper is a mk2 thing, but the fix is simple and cheap.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-11, 02:33 PM   #9
fastmike

fastmike is on a distinguished road
Plenty of scope for modding a 120....... VVC.... or turbo ..... your ingenuity and wallet are the only limits..... how about a turbo'd VVC
fastmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-11, 02:35 PM   #10
jamesc777

jamesc777 is on a distinguished road
i think you will enjoy the 120, i know there not the v6 but they have a lovely sound and they still feel quick. there seems to be a few out there, pity i think im going to have to sell mine, Sid is great but going to have to get an auto!!
good luck with traders, they are usually very tight on what they offer for any car never mind MG's. hope work is keeping you busy and happy hunting.

jamesc777 is offline   Reply With Quote