theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 11-07-13, 12:35 AM   #1
Jimmy80808

Jimmy80808 is on a distinguished road
Induction mod fitted inner wing cone and bit of porting on of the TB

Ok just before MG Saloon day at Duxford finally got round to fitting The ITG maxogen Air Filter to replace the old ITG panel filter I had. Also took the time to quickly port the Throttle body opening and port all the aluminium induction pipe work to smooth the flow. Got a spare TB that I will do more work on and Knife edge the butterfly when get time.
The OD of the TB is 74mm and the ID was 69 so quite a bit to remove and reduce turbulence also ported the pipe ends as the pipe is about 2-3mm thick and I was not butting the pipe together as need some flex in the connections.

Here is the TB before

And after

Here is the kit of pipe work I bought enought to make up 2 kits and maybe some for other cars not needing so much bends. Pipe work is 76mm
Here is my version of the inner wing open cone

And it fitted

Its made up of a 70 degree bend then a 90 degree connecting to the filter. I thought about fitting a 45 degree bend to help get the cone higher in the wing but didn't have a silicon elbow at hand and I'm saving the Aluminium 45 pipe for another car. I will just have to steer clear of driving through flood waters or fords. I also decided to have a separate filter for the idle throttle valve the pipe ID and filter are 22mm.

Originally I had an ITG panel filter with the resonator pipe removed so it wasn't to bad to start with.

On the drive to saloon day at Duxford the throttle pickup was noticeable improved and the full throttle induction roar was great. Using Rev on my phone I could see the intake air temps where about 5c cooler though for such a hot day it was hard to compare I will have to wait for a more usual British summer day

Also I fitted a decent pair of tidy looking headlights, my old pair where very milky with craquelure!

Next mods are fit bonnet gas lifters waiting on delivery. Pipe up the catch tank and then a bit of engine dressing. When days get darker fit a 55w HID kit. Next big mod will be full SS exhaust system.

Jim
Rover SD1 Vitesse JE V8
Rover SD1 Vitesse TP V8
Jimmy80808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-13, 07:28 AM   #2
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Nice touches there.
Old 11-07-13, 07:57 AM   #3
Craig-ZS180

Craig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the rough
Looks good, almost identical to my setup that I have. Does give a great sound
Old 11-07-13, 08:53 AM   #4
Steven11

Steven11 has a spectacular aura aboutSteven11 has a spectacular aura about
Is it ok to use the cable tie's like that. do they hold everything secure enough.
Steven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-13, 10:17 AM   #5
Craig-ZS180

Craig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven11 View Post
Is it ok to use the cable tie's like that. do they hold everything secure enough.
Mine has got 2 cable ties that just support the filter neck as mine does actually point upwards into the inner wing rather than just going straight. Ive got the alloy piping thats obviously strong and holding in that direction but I used the ties to just keep it from putting excess strain on the silicone joiners andtake a little of its weight at the end as otherwise its really only supported by the throttle body.
I did however make up a little bracket for mine that sits roughly where the oe airbox used to locate at the bottom which just sticks out and curls round the lower edge of my piping going towards the wing again to take some of the strain.

My cable ties have been on there for 2 years nearly and are still all good and in tact and in exactly the same position.
Old 11-07-13, 12:47 PM   #6
Fred68

Fred68 has a spectacular aura aboutFred68 has a spectacular aura about
The new filter will give a good airflow improvement, I'd not go mad with the TB to be honest as intake restriction isn't the TB. The work done to the TB so far looks good but I don't really think knife edging the butterfly will make any difference to power production as the intake losses are elsewhere inside the plenum. The I ran a back to back test using the standard 180 TB then switched to the larger 190 TB. I was surprised to see no power gain at all. The KV6 is cammed with a really short duration which really hampers it's power production anyway.
Old 11-07-13, 07:18 PM   #7
reaper0709

reaper0709 has a spectacular aura aboutreaper0709 has a spectacular aura about
Looking good jimmy, sweet set up
reaper0709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-13, 12:19 AM   #8
Jimmy80808

Jimmy80808 is on a distinguished road
I'm confident the cable ties will last well they 6mm thick and are there to stop any rattles and some of the weight but the whole setup is very light. Would be nice to get better cams fitted though have to wait till next belt change. Focusing on mods that improve the drive and sound of the car though popping overrun could be nice
Rover SD1 Vitesse JE V8
Rover SD1 Vitesse TP V8
Jimmy80808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-13, 11:49 PM   #9
andys1981

andys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the rough
nice install,need to get this front bumper off my mk 2 and get it done,you know where im coming from craig
andys1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-13, 08:20 AM   #10
Djules

Djules has a spectacular aura aboutDjules has a spectacular aura about
Could I have a pic of the engine bay ?
Where did you buy the kit ?

Thanks
Djules is offline   Reply With Quote