theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 18-09-12, 11:04 AM   #21
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
As you say Paul its a chance to upgrade! Least you can inspect it and will know it is all spot on when it goes back together. Always nice for piece of mind.

If you rebuild it anything like your bikes will be very nice when done!

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-12, 03:14 PM   #22
tb steve

tb steve has a spectacular aura abouttb steve has a spectacular aura about
gutted for ya i know how you fell mate

but just think if you thought it was quick now whats it going to be like when you get it all done
tb steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-12, 06:47 PM   #23
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
that is abd news - but at least you were expecting to to an extent and it is not a complete shock...

So sad to see people with no mechanical sympathy wrecking something for the the bragging rights with the mates...

hell i dont even drive hire cars 'like i stole them' guess i am too nice
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-12, 06:59 PM   #24
sneekyparrot

sneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_b82 View Post
that is abd news - but at least you were expecting to to an extent and it is not a complete shock...

So sad to see people with no mechanical sympathy wrecking something for the the bragging rights with the mates...

hell i dont even drive hire cars 'like i stole them' guess i am too nice
Yeah tbh i was not surprised when martin suggested this maybe the problem i was kinda putting 2+2 together, was hoping it was a sensor but hey just have to deal with it.

Just got back from picking it up and had a good chat with martin, its worse than i thought. 50% loss in 2 cylinders 30 in 1 and 40 in the other which suggests at least 1 valve is shot in each cylinder. The motor revs so freely that it would be way to easy to over rev especially if its in a numpty or an animals hand.

Anyway its in the garage and thats where it will stay until i pull the motor and strip it down.
Going to dump the small port BAM head and replace it with the large port unit with some new valves, new injectors and the V3 manifold should see it close to 350hp which will keep me happy for a while.

oh the joys of modding :-)

P.
Old 18-09-12, 08:15 PM   #25
Quadcam24

Quadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the rough
sorry to hear that, but i have to say i expected it, because going by ross's trip to santa pod and the car only pulling 109 mph top speed, i knew it was down on power ,trouble is its so quick that unless you experienced it fully healthy you would never know.
I remember at cadwell park, out on track and suddenly the car felt really really slow, i entered the straight behind a mate in his m3 evo, so proceeded to follow him down the straight and i was only just reeling him in, which i knew was way off normal pace, as usually i just pummelled him easily, i looked down at the temp gauge and it was off the scale, i found out later the water pump had failed and later h.g was diagnosed by martin, but even running sick it still did the m3 evo in a straight line.
I remember how much greater the top speeds were on tracks compared to the nasp kv6 and that would have to be the same for santa pod, ok it struggled for traction in a standing 1/4 sprint but that has very little effect on top speed.
Quadcam24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-12, 08:55 PM   #26
Maxxed_Ross
Events Organiser-Scotland

Maxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura aboutMaxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-ZS+ View Post
As you say Paul its a chance to upgrade!
Oi that's my motto V V V

www.facebook.com/EX259

"It's not broken, it's an opportunity to upgrade!"
Maxxed_Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-12, 10:29 PM   #27
Drew

Drew has a spectacular aura aboutDrew has a spectacular aura about
cheaper just to fit another engine?

Drew
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-12, 10:34 PM   #28
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
thats a kick in the teth:/ be awesome after though
Old 19-09-12, 07:15 AM   #29
sneekyparrot

sneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the rough
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
cheaper just to fit another engine?

Drew
close but not quite. Bottom end is sound with uprated rods, no oil loss or smoke so unless i find a problem on the strip down it will just get balanced and re used.

although it looks cheaper to buy a complete motor than just a head!
Old 19-09-12, 07:32 AM   #30
sneekyparrot

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcam24 View Post
sorry to hear that, but i have to say i expected it, because going by ross's trip to santa pod and the car only pulling 109 mph top speed, i knew it was down on power ,trouble is its so quick that unless you experienced it fully healthy you would never know.
I remember at cadwell park, out on track and suddenly the car felt really really slow, i entered the straight behind a mate in his m3 evo, so proceeded to follow him down the straight and i was only just reeling him in, which i knew was way off normal pace, as usually i just pummelled him easily, i looked down at the temp gauge and it was off the scale, i found out later the water pump had failed and later h.g was diagnosed by martin, but even running sick it still did the m3 evo in a straight line.
I remember how much greater the top speeds were on tracks compared to the nasp kv6 and that would have to be the same for santa pod, ok it struggled for traction in a standing 1/4 sprint but that has very little effect on top speed.
that was the problem to start with Dave!
but i new straight away something was wrong with the idle and unless it had race cams it should have idled way better, i may have spent most of my time with bike motors but all of them have been modified and run power commanders or full 3d map systems so new it was not a result of a stand alone even without an idle valve.

the car is quick like bike quick so it was only after a few hrs in the car that really swung it for me, well that and the fact i could not find the source of my concerns!

mid range great but top end wheezy and bottom off idle was getting worse, oil leaks, water leaks, electrics all over the place. It was time to send it to its maker for a full diag.

At least i know what the prob is now and i will address it so watch this space ;-)

hey be good to meet up a donny when its done and see if you think the upgrades have improved it? Traction could be fun with the extra hp thou!

P.