theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 16-03-17, 07:48 PM   #11
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
My mk1 was ok there, what's left of the shell still is but my mk2 is really flaky there.
Old 16-03-17, 10:18 PM   #12
LukeZS96

LukeZS96 is on a distinguished road
Yeah this was the same. It wasn't too flaky but there was alot on the surface. All it needed was to be wire brushed back, treated with Hammerite rust remover gel and then 2 coats of hammerite underbody sealant. I was up there again tonight after work and They have the body kit off and sent to the spraybooth, the inner sills have been painted in stonechip, the whole chassis is now covered in waxoyl and the 2 rear anti-roll bar mounts have been replaced. Didn't get any pictures because my phone died but hopefully I should get some when I get the car back on the weekend.
LukeZS96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-17, 01:06 AM   #13
LukeZS96

So an update on this thread. First of all my 11s have gone off to be refurnished so she is on hairpins at the minute. There has also been some changes to my plans and i haven't done a whole lot of work to the car since it's become my daily driver again. I am putting the 1.8 out of my Mk1 scrapper into it and I'm going to tune that up with a custom exhaust, remap, 135 cams, a 52mm tb, maybe an alloy inlet manifold and if the headgasket ever gives up in future the head will be ported and polished when it comes off. While the engine is being swapped out I will be doing a few jobs such as the clutch, timing belt and the rear crankshaft oil seal. I was going to replace the headgasket but I thought to myself if it's not gone there is no point in doing it. I am just waiting on the clutch to arrive and then I can take some time off work to do the engine swap. The motivation had dropped off abit due to a few personal issues with work and stuff and money issues aswell but I'm back on my feet now and things are starting to pick up. The work will start on it more hands on again and it will live up to the title of this thread when it's done
Old 28-05-17, 10:02 AM   #14
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Good plans - quiet on here so look forward to the updates.

I'd maybe re-think about the headgasket if it hasn't been done. I've never had a 4cyl, but they seem to be vulnerable even if maintained and people go for a better gasket - MLS I think. Your call. Be a shame though to potentially damage the engine in the long term, for the sake of a gasket while the engine is actually out anyway.

Glad your personal bits are sorted too.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-17, 10:37 AM   #15
LukeZS96

I was going to do the head gasket while the engine was out initially but I was told to hold out until I had the engine run for about 5/6K as the car has been sitting up for a while so I can get fresh oil around the engine for a bit to clean up any carbon build up or sludge before I go ripping the engine. I know the headgasket is sound in it so its safe to drive for a while
Old 29-05-17, 09:14 AM   #16
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
IMHO if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 02-08-17, 02:13 PM   #17
LukeZS96

Right so the 1.8 engine is in and its all wired up. Engine is turning over but it won't fire. It's getting fuel but doesn't seem to be getting a spark. Has new spark plugs and the lwads and coil packs came off the old 1.4 engine and they were known to be good. Timing is 100%, compression across all 4 cylinders is perfect, good oil pressure, all relays/fuses are okay, replaced crank position sensor, cam position sensor, throttle position sensor and Idle air control valve and still no joy. Any ideas on what to go for next?
Old 02-08-17, 03:28 PM   #18
Drew

Drew has a spectacular aura aboutDrew has a spectacular aura about
Start with the basics. Are you getting a spark from any/all of the plugs? Do you have fuel getting into the cylinders?

Drew
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-17, 04:56 PM   #19
Drew

Drew has a spectacular aura aboutDrew has a spectacular aura about
Lol perhaps I should have read the post!
Do you have 12v at the coil with the ignition on?
Do you still have 12v when it's turning over?

Drew
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-17, 06:23 PM   #20
LukeZS96

Got it sorted, seems to be an issue with the ECU, it was a 1.8 ECU and when it was mapped to be unlocked it was mapped for a lucas system and not a pektron system, I put in the 1.4 ECU and she started and ran but I know it wont run 100% with that so I have to either sort myself out with a full Mk2 ECU and BCU set or get my original ECU mapped for a 1.8