AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 29-07-13, 10:51 PM   #1
Jason04r

Jason04r is on a distinguished road
LHD MG ZS 180 MK2 has arrived

Hi,

As some of you know i've been looking at the only MK2 180 for sale in Spain and most probs in europe at this moment in time.

Well i picked it up today , took a 9 hour drive , overnight hotel and 9 hours of driving back. Nackard is a understatement. Our hotel was 10 seconds walk from the car which was ideal.

Met the guy at 10:30 and took a look at the car. Bodywork is in mint condition which is very surprising for a Spanish car ( Bumper cars ).Interior was in good condition with no mods , seats are also in good condition. Popped the bonnet to find that the engine had been removed , no surprise as the guy said it had been dismantled.

I asked him wheres the engine and he pointed to a pile of mixed engine parts to the side of the car. At this time my hand hit my forehead.

Not only had he stripped every single part of the engine down , he also stripped the gearbox down to the gears. Finally found all of the engine and various other parts and filled the boot and rear seats.....

Winched it onto the recovery truck , went to sign over names and set off home.

So ,

Having a quick look when i arrived home , i need the follow:

Driveshafts
Radiator
Gearbox

This is what i've noticed so far. I'm not a mechanic and nor have i changed an engine before so this is a big project for me. i've already got an engine on the way from Zred

I hope i can ask dumb questions along the way into this build.

Pictures shall follow tomorrow !

Thanks

Last edited by Jason04r; 29-07-13 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
Jason04r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-13, 11:01 PM   #2
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Ask away, I'm sure the members on the forum will be able to provide all the answers to your questions.

Why on earth did he strip the engine and gearbox so much, did you get any information about the original problem

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-13, 11:53 PM   #3
ZRed

ZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the rough
My only concern now is the parts needed to swap the 75's kv6 ive sold you, into the ZS is fairly straightforward with both sitting next to each other. Now this is completely stripped could make it a ballache mate! Ill help as much as i can from here.
Old 30-07-13, 12:18 AM   #4
Jason04r

Original problem is he drove through deep water and ingested a fair amount of water.

Ill post a pic of the amount of peices I have from the engine.

I'm not going to rush this build , I have all the time in the world to complete it . Well until the head gasket on my Astra fails completely lol

Parts are near impossible to get in Spain for the 180 so most of them will need to come from the uk.
Old 30-07-13, 08:03 AM   #5
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Here I go again but Dan1971 is breaking a 180 so you'll get what you need from him I'm sure. Can't see why he stripped the box though, daft. Hopefully you got it for a good price.
Old 30-07-13, 09:14 AM   #6
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason04r View Post

I hope i can ask dumb questions along the way into this build.

Pictures shall follow tomorrow !

Thanks
Hi sounds a right pig to sort out.

No such thing as a daft question, if you dont know, you dont know.

So ask away.

Good luck with it.

Old 30-07-13, 12:13 PM   #7
Jason04r

I got the car for 800 euros ( £700 ) which is bargin to say Diesels go for 4500 euros.

Cars hold there value here , i got my 1998 Astra 1.6 8v for £1700 2 years go.. i could pick one up for £200 odd quid in the UK.

The strap is to keep the garage door closed as its too big for the drive lol. I have already started de-chav'in the car. Removed the lexus lights and put the originals back in, removed amp and sub from the boot. Next to go are the alloys as i'm wanting the standard 17" in black.

Couple of pictures:

White leather door cards

Leather and suede seats:

Scrap yard of parts:

Looking through i found the reason for the engine being stripped:

Smashed piston and conrod...

Thanks
Old 30-07-13, 12:52 PM   #8
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
I like the leather trim on the door cards, someone must have spent a fair chunk of money on it in the past, was it White originally or has been repainted.

Old 30-07-13, 12:55 PM   #9
Jason04r

Been sprayed and very badly at that.It was green, the guy didn't remove any plastic trim so its starting to crack in places.

It's going to need a full re-spray in the future
Old 30-07-13, 12:59 PM   #10
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

Shame, it looks good in white, you've got yourself quite a project there.