theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 25-08-12, 09:01 PM   #41
POMPSKI

POMPSKI is a jewel in the roughPOMPSKI is a jewel in the roughPOMPSKI is a jewel in the rough
Im thinking the same! I ordered some on thursday should have arrived today but did not!

Im now certain it is the brakes as I let the car idle until warm, then drove off. No sound. Nothing until the brakes have been applied a few times.
POMPSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-12, 03:15 PM   #42
drewesq

drewesq is on a distinguished road
OK, so I have now changed the discs and after a short test I can't hear the annoying squeek anymore, but that is probably because all I can hear is a scraping noise! Which is either the dust shield or, it seemed like the new disc was scraping against the calliper.... grrrr!!
drewesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-12, 03:17 PM   #43
POMPSKI

POMPSKI is a jewel in the roughPOMPSKI is a jewel in the roughPOMPSKI is a jewel in the rough
At least the squeak has gone lol, I think it is feasible the shield is rubbing, with new thick discs on (Not sure on this though). Did you grease up the caliper sliders while you were there?
Old 26-08-12, 08:09 PM   #44
drewesq

I didn't, TBH I ran out of time, but when I took it for a spin it more or less sorted itself now it only scrapes when I turn left! tomorrow morning I'll try to push the shield away from the disc and if it is still a problem I will take it to the garage near work to clean up for me!

All I need to do then is try to sort the rattle that comes from the boot/rear bumper and try to find the source of the whistle noise when the window is down.

Did you see the link I put on your thread on mg-rover pomp?
Old 26-08-12, 08:19 PM   #45
POMPSKI

Just seen it now, thanks for that. I had already seen it as well. Brake lines will be getting upgraded if the discs/pads dont work! I was going to upgrade them at some point anyway.

Glad you're getting through it. The rear bumper rattle generally comes from where the bumper sits in the supports. A bit of foam padding should sort it.
Old 28-08-12, 09:50 AM   #46
drewesq

well, the squeek is back! as I was pulling into work I lowered the windows and could hear it clearly

Going to take it to a local garage at lunch to get it booked for the bumper rattle anyway so will ask him to check the callipers, pipes etc...
Old 06-09-12, 05:59 AM   #47
drewesq

Success! I have eliminated the rear rattle (twas the catch on the tailgate that was loose) and changed the pads and gave the callipers a good clean with a wire brush, made sure the metal shims were all in place and now the brake related suqeek has gone

Very happy... now the alternator whine...!
Old 29-09-12, 01:54 PM   #48
Hambo-180

Hambo-180 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewesq View Post
Do you mean behind the rear reg plate on the inside? what, so unscrew the plastic screws, take it all off and then oil the clips?

What are door strikers?
If you got a 5 door model, its the plastic hatchback liner, the bit you grab to close the hatch, the clips squeak cause they become dry. Pull the liner off and oil the metalpush clips...

Door strikers are the metel loops on the body of the car that the door locks click into when the door is closed, they move slightly and can cause a "creak"
Hambo-180 is offline   Reply With Quote