AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 03-08-12, 02:53 PM   #21
andy-81

andy-81 has a spectacular aura aboutandy-81 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewesq View Post
No, it constant, I would say it does sound like it is in time with the wheel going round and mainly at low speeds (but doesn't seem to increase in frequency as I speed up) over slightly uneven road. I don't notice it at speed on an A road but then there is a fair bit of wind noise then!

I would say it definately isn't internal - I'm rubbish at explaining this aren't I - sorry! I do appreciate any help though!

its the front brakes pal mine does exactly the same thing so i tookthem apart and cleaned them yesterday and all is quiet now
andy-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 03:07 PM   #22
drewesq

drewesq is on a distinguished road
thanks Andy - the discs look like they need to be changed anyway so will probably do that next weekend
drewesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 07:56 AM   #23
drewesq

Well, I found yesterday the the noise only happens when the front wheels are straight...
Old 04-08-12, 08:47 AM   #24
Fred68

Fred68 has a spectacular aura aboutFred68 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Well, I found yesterday the the noise only happens when the front wheels are straight...
Slight play in the bearings is causing the brakes to drag? Strip, clean and re-grease the caliper sliders. Clean the rust out from under the shims too!!

Last edited by Fred68; 04-08-12 at 08:53 AM.
Fred68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 06:13 PM   #25
drewesq

Update!:

The noise stops when the brakes are applied, so must be brake related! I'll give them a good clean tomorrow when I attempt to fit 2 new CV joints!
Old 10-08-12, 06:19 PM   #26
POMPSKI

POMPSKI is a jewel in the roughPOMPSKI is a jewel in the roughPOMPSKI is a jewel in the rough
Sounds like the same noise I have. Extremely high-pitched as well?
POMPSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 06:29 PM   #27
drewesq

It is high pitched, like a squeal. Or maybe like there is a cricket or a bird in the car... I am sure now it must be brake related! Hope it isn't a belt, but then if it was then applying the brakes wouldn't stop the noise

Last edited by drewesq; 10-08-12 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-08-12, 06:48 PM   #28
POMPSKI

POMPSKI is a jewel in the roughPOMPSKI is a jewel in the roughPOMPSKI is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
It is high pitched, like a squeal. Or maybe like there is a cricket or a bird in the car... I am sure now it must be brake related! Hope it isn't a belt, but then if it was then applying the brakes would stop the noise
Exactly how mine sounds.

I was convinced it was from the brakes too but have made myself believe it may be rubbing in the NS of the engine bay. Report back on your findings please sir!
POMPSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 07:12 AM   #29
Hambo-180

Hambo-180 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I spent many hours on my last car trying to trace various annoying noises and rattles with varying degrees of success, but mostly good!

My new MG ZS seems to be okay, but there is a but of a bump from the back when going over rough road - I suspect it is the parcel shelf and will test by taking it out. Has anyone else had this?

Maybe whoever reads this can say what they have done to resolve similar rattles and noises and we might get a good list together (if there isn't one already)?

I also think my tappets need changing....!

Drewesq
The internal plastic tailgate cover can sometimes develop an annoying squeak, take the cover off and oil or grease up the metal push clips and then replace.
Doors creak sometimes - adjust the strikers.
Hambo-180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 09:21 AM   #30
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Update!:

The noise stops when the brakes are applied, so must be brake related! I'll give them a good clean tomorrow when I attempt to fit 2 new CV joints!
It could still be a bearing, when you brake the pads grip the caliper and will stop it running out of true.