theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 24-09-16, 10:04 PM   #1
Big-Jay

Big-Jay has a spectacular aura aboutBig-Jay has a spectacular aura about
MK2 Firefrost Red V6 Saloon

Ok guys, as you may have seen I've recently decided to move my XPG saloon on as she wasn't seeing much of the road. I didn't really want to sell up but it's a shame to keep a perfectly good car sitting around unused, especially one as nice as her.

Now, I didn't have any plans to buy another ZS, or any other car in fact, but after a bit of late night browsing (and a few beers if I'm honest) I stumbled across this on an MG sales page -

I absolutely adore the Firefrost Red MG/R colour, it's my all time favourite, so I guess you can probably see how this was going to pan out.

To be fair, I was going to do a bit of saving and buy a project car to play with after Christmas, but seeing as I don't currently have a project I thought why not. Ive driven many cars but nothing delivers the bang for buck that the ZS does. Nothing really comes close for the money you can pick one of these up for.

Anyway, a five hour round trip last weekend and she was mine -

She's low milage and completely standard and unmolested, barring a sheddist clutch kit and a few dark ice designs bits. It's a nice blank canvas for me to start with.

There wasn't too much service history with the car but I'm not too worried on that front as I think this'll be a full strip down restoration.

I've already made a start last weekend on that front. Here's some pictures -

Front bumper off -

Headlights out and N/S wing off -

N/S skirt off -

Rear bumper off -

O/S skirt off -

O/S wing off -

So far so good. Next up I decided to degrease and clean the underside of the car so I could take a look at the general condition and check for any rust.

O/S under arch cleaned -

N/S under arch cleaned -

Floorpan cleaned -

Jacking points -

Surface rust and some pitting but most importantly they passed the screw driver test, no holes !

O/S rear under arch cleaned -

N/S under arch cleaned -

Rear end cleaned -

All in all I was pretty pleased, not too much rust and no holes. I did however discover an oil leak, I'll get back to this though.

Into the garage she went -

And up on axle stands -

Back to the oil leak, traced it to the dipstick oil tube -

Appeared to be coming from the bung that the tube sits in -

So I went online and ordered a new replacement from rimmer brothers -

And got to work removing the old one. A lot easier said then done, involved a large flat head screwdriver and some long nose pliers. Come out in the end though -

New one fitted and we now have no oil leaks -

To be continued in another post.

Last edited by Big-Jay; 25-09-16 at 07:41 PM.
Big-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-16, 10:05 PM   #2
Big-Jay

Continued.

Back to the bodywork, I stripped the running gear both sides until I was left with the drive shafts and lower arms -

And then removed the front frame, ARB and the steering rack. I'll have the frame and ARB powdercoated -

Various brackets removed ready to be powder coated, was thinking X Power Green but I'll make a decision on colour when I get down to the shop -

With all that out the way it meant I could get started wire brushing. Here's the N/S cleaned up back to bare metal where it needed to be and hand sanded to provide a key elsewhere -

Jacking point after a good wire brushing, nice and solid -

And Zinc primed -

Well, that's all the work up until today. Will be back at it again tomorrow, the drivers side awaits the same treatment !

Jay.
Old 24-09-16, 10:34 PM   #3
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Wow! You don't hang about! Wasn't expecting that.
Old 25-09-16, 07:01 AM   #4
Roverlike

Roverlike will become famous soon enough
Always a pleasure to looki such project didplay. Good job!
Old 25-09-16, 08:52 AM   #5
caled

caled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nice
Top work!
You're making me feel guilty for not doing this to mine!
Old 25-09-16, 10:41 AM   #6
grimmy
its ginger its phenomenal

grimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud of
After xpg that is my favourite colour on a my2.very nice indeed
Old 25-09-16, 04:20 PM   #7
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
Love firefrost and more great work going on there, some attention to detail you have bud! Itching for your next update already!
Old 25-09-16, 05:40 PM   #8
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
You are far too keen, puts the rest of us to shame.
Old 25-09-16, 07:01 PM   #9
MG ZS STE
Site Supporter

MG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really nice
wow that was one of the shortest "leaving the folds" i think weve had. just shows how much these cars get under your skin. so is this nightfire red or firefrost red, im a bit confused?
Old 25-09-16, 09:08 PM   #10
Big-Jay

Got the drivers side wire brushed and Zinc primed today, was a hard slog given the little amount of space I have to actually work on the car but got it done all the same.

So, here's the under arch wire brushed back to bare metal where it needed to be and block sanded back else where -

And then covered in a few coats of Zinc primer -

Not the best pictures but it's difficult to take anything decent in such limited space.

Anyway that's all the work I've got done thus far, will be back at it again next weekend !

Jay.