theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 01-05-18, 10:23 AM   #11
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Top tips is an interesting thing to mention - sure we all have them.

I've done a few courses - 7 full weeks worth over the years - driving to "the system" and how to "make good progress" on two and four wheels.

Biggest and best single learning point - be able to stop within the distance you can see to be clear.

Great fun driving round the twisties but they are where the majority of serious injury accidents take place. Take a corner too fast and being unable to stop in time because of the car pulling out from a junction on the other side, is gonna be sore.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 08:43 PM   #12
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

I got an invite to Williams to look at the cars and they let us loose on some Renault Meganes.

They got us to drive at a polystyrene block wall at 40 mph. hit the brakes and steer round it. To show that with ABS coming on, you can still steer the car.

Normally when you hit the brakes in a emergency you just hold the wheel and hope for the best. It showed that even though the wheels were locked you can still steer the car. Is a bit weird and difficult to get the brain to pull the wheel, but with the ABS it all works and you can still steer out of trouble.

They did suggest trying it in a empty car park.

Was a good lesson, must have worked as a Porsche Cayenne pulled out straight in front of us the other day. Brakes full on and steered to the left or I would have him, arrogant git. Waved an apology, I expect it was because we were in our Punto and he didn't want to wait!!

Old 09-05-18, 06:23 PM   #13
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Supercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really nice
late to this my brother had a black box fitted and his insurance got canceled because he braked to hard two days in a row (carrot insurance)

Somebody pulled out on him for one occasion.

I cant say he was the best or worst driver just that it was a utter ball ache
Supercharged_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-18, 09:56 PM   #14
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
seems unfair to stop the insurance.

Better than hitting anything.
Old 10-05-18, 08:11 AM   #15
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
seems unfair to stop the insurance.

Better than hitting anything.
It does - especially as that will no doubt have caused issues as mentioned because the next insurance company will ask the " have you ever had insurance declined or cancelled" question, and up goes the premium !

Harsh world for young people these days - struggle to get car insurance and don't get me started on house prices and them being able to buy a house .....

I know I'm not the oldest on here - not far from though - but my first house was a 2 bed end terrace we bought in about 1995 for £60K. It was just a repossessed new build in an estate near Harlow so nothing special. That house is now £280K. Most mortgages these days require a 25% deposit whereas for me at the time I had to put in just 5%. How the hell is a 22/23 yr old gonna be able to stump up a 25% deposit on that (68K) .... ?.... I get the feeling that my boys, 17 and 14 now, will be at home for a long time unless I bung them a massive wedge from my retirement lump .... All well and good for me (and them) to be able to do that, but not everyone can give their kids a big handout.

Last edited by Dan1971; 10-05-18 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-05-18, 09:40 AM   #16
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Supercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post

I know I'm not the oldest on here - not far from though - but my first house was a 2 bed end terrace we bought in about 1995 for £60K. It was just a repossessed new build in an estate near Harlow so nothing special. That house is now £280K. Most mortgages these days require a 25% deposit whereas for me at the time I had to put in just 5%. How the hell is a 22/23 yr old gonna be able to stump up a 25% deposit on that (68K) .... ?.... I get the feeling that my boys, 17 and 14 now, will be at home for a long time unless I bung them a massive wedge from my retirement lump .... All well and good for me (and them) to be able to do that, but not everyone can give their kids a big handout.

I have the same thoughts, unless left a fortune or being helped by family / parents its neigh on impossible for young people in this day and age .
Supercharged_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-18, 09:46 AM   #17
peterzs
promoted bloke!

Smile

As you say most kids are being pushed out of the house buying market and once renting don't have much chance of getting enough deposit together to put down. Daft, as the rental can be less than what they pay on mortgage, or not much difference.

While cars have gone the other way and granddaughter now has a Juke, nearly new on one of those personal lease schemes. Will knock the bottom out of older second hand car values, as for £150 a month they have nearly new cars. Who wants a 5 year old, or older banger??

Bank of Mum and Dad looks like will be with us for a long time!!

Old 10-05-18, 01:24 PM   #18
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
It does - especially as that will no doubt have caused issues as mentioned because the next insurance company will ask the " have you ever had insurance declined or cancelled" question, and up goes the premium !

Harsh world for young people these days - struggle to get car insurance and don't get me started on house prices and them being able to buy a house .....

cancelled because he used the brakes - that's a joke... I know my buddy has a box fitted and he has penalty clauses if he gets a bad score at renewal time, but I didn't think they'd be able to cancel for avoiding an accident!

If it is in the ToC's then more depth of reading is needed for people I guess

I know a bit OT the house stuff, but it is a supply and demand market, and the fact rental income easily covers the mortgage even with new penalties, this problem in house value will rise and rise...

If there was a cap on rental prices fewer properties would be "buy to let" and thus there would be more property available for home owners. But the rules would have to be carefully done, as otherwise students or temp workers would struggle to find places to live.

I think it is also important to consider it is not that practical nowadays to expect as a young 20 something person to buy a house - get on the property ladder with a small flat, and work up... it's what I've done.
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-18, 01:46 PM   #19
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_b82 View Post

I think it is also important to consider it is not that practical nowadays to expect as a young 20 something person to buy a house - get on the property ladder with a small flat, and work up... it's what I've done.
Depends where you are in the country. Everyone acknowledges that (pretty much with everything) you tend to start small and build up. A one bed flat in Harlow on the 9th floor of a block will cost you £130K. £32.5K deposit required.... Compare that to my home town - Hawick in the Scottish borders - and £130K will get you a 3 bed house.

Not easy even getting started is all I'm saying.
Old 10-05-18, 08:51 PM   #20
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Nothing is easy for today's generation, I'm seeing it with my own girls. Still have two at home, one doesn't want to rent, dead money she says and right too. One off to university this year so she'll be studying hard to be a midwife, then she'll look to buy.

When I was their age it seemed so easy to buy a house, gazzumping (sp) being the biggest issue and situation where money would be wasted with no control.

Myself and Kathy have told the girls when we next move house we are signing it over in their names. So in the event of us going into a 'home' they won't lose their inheritance, so we will be well in advance of the 7 year gap. Not too keen using my equity to help them as it would need to be a fair three way offering, would cost me a lot of money plus paying for it over the remaining term of 11 years. Also got a wedding to assist with!