theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 20-09-11, 09:28 PM   #21
Enright

Enright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the rough
Got it!!!

It turns out the previous owner had removed most of the relays (No, I've no idea why either)! But replacing them gave me a working rear window wiper and driver's side window, and I've been offered a complete set of switches which will get the passenger side one working too. I can cope with windie ones at the back for now, but will keep my eyes peeled in the scrapyards for Civics from which I can grab a couple of electric regulators and associated wiring.

The Powerflow exhaust is now on the car and I've been commuting in it for a couple of days. Oh what a nice place to be! Feels so much more serene than the ZR - it floats rather than crashes. I'm going to enjoy this...

Mk2 MG ZS TD 115 with full 180 kit (and 2x Lotus Elan SE Turbos)
Enright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-11, 09:34 PM   #22
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Must be a wizard at the electronics and delving into the innards, think you deserve a medal or something for all the work youve done.

Been really great reading your posts and seeing the progress.

Must admit, when I saw the advert when it was in bits, thought, "wont see that up and running".

So pleased you proved me wrong.

Old 20-09-11, 10:15 PM   #23
Enright

Enright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the rough
Thank you very much, I'm very flattered, although I'd have been nowhere without spares that I could just swap to eliminate suspect bits (or prove that they were faulty). And the discovery of the missing relays was almost pure chance. If I hadn't had to ask about the location of the heated seat relays it would have taken me ages to find the problems!

That reminds me: Credit should go to this forum too - I'd have also been lost without the prompt and friendly assistance that I've received from numerous contributors. It's nice to be able to sort of reward that with a few confirmations that problems have been solved. It closes the loop.

Anyway I promised pics, so here are a few. One of "the fleet" as it currently stands, and a few of the ZS itself. I'm going to stick with the hairpins for now as they are more resistant to kerbing and tyres are cheaper. Also I know the clearance on the exhaust looked a bit tight in the pic from the rear, but I've since opened up the gap between it and the bumper - by standing on it and bouncing up and down a bit! See - I can do brute force and ignorance too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18092011538a.jpg (78.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 20092011540a.jpg (75.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 20092011541a.jpg (67.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20092011542a.jpg (93.4 KB, 51 views)

Old 20-09-11, 10:26 PM   #24
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Like the photos, think the ZS looks great in that colour and I agree with the kerbing bit!!!

Old 21-09-11, 08:29 AM   #25
Enright

Hmm, from its "Parts Wanted" origins this seems to have wandered more into a mini-project thread. I wonder if a helpful Mod could rename it "Mk2 MG ZS TD - Return to Former Glory" and move it into the Build Projects section please?

I've created a little Excel spreadsheet which I use for tracking jobs, time and costs. Mainly because there are so many jobs that I can never remember them all, and I got sick of my other half moaning that I always go over time and over budget, and spend more time on the car than I do on her!!!
Anyway if anyone wants a copy of it to use for themselves, just PM me with an email address and I can send it over.

To justify it being an ongoing project, here's what I've completed so far:

* Check Timing
Clean Engine Bay (WD40 & Jetwash)
Clean Interior (Cockpit Shine)
Clear Fault Codes
Fit Seat Heaters, Switchgear & Repair SRS Wiring
Remove Stickers
Repaint Brake Calipers & Discs
Repair Aerial
Repair N/S/F Door Handle
Repair F Grille
Repair R Speaker Wiring
Replace Aircon Pipe
Replace R Bodykit Parts
* Replace Bonnet Release Cable
Replace Dashboard Bulb
* Replace F & R Bulbs
* Replace F Bumper & Crash Bar (inc Foglights & Spraying)
* Replace Central Locking R Looms
Replace Cigarette Lighter
Replace F & R Door Trims (inc reshape speaker cone)
* Replace ECU inc Bracket, BCU & Ignition Transponder
* Replace EGR Valve & Engine Cover
* Replace Exhaust Backbox
Replace Exhaust Trim
* Replace Fusebox
Replace Owner's Handbook
Replace Ignition, Door & Glovebox Locks
* Replace Injectors
* Replace Intercooler Hoses
Replace Mirror with MG TF one
* Replace Turbo Intake Pipe & MAF Sensor
Replace Parking Sensors
Replace Pollen Filter
Replace Radio & R Speakers
Replace R Wash/Wipe Relay
* Replace R Window Regulators
* Replace Wheels & Locking Wheelnuts
Wash, T-Cut, Polish & Rain-X Windows

(* = priority job - i.e. required for basic running, roadworthiness or legality)

Here's the To Do List:

Replace R Seatbelt Clips
Fit MAP Monitor Wire
Replace Oil & Oil Filter
Repair R Window Heater
Repair Glow Plug Circuit
Repair Driver's Storage Box
Clean Boot Carpet
Repair R Quarter Panels inc R Bumper Alignment
Replace F Speakers

And here is the Shopping List which will be added to the To Do List as parts become available (at the right price!):

Air Filter Housing inc Filter, Intake Pipe & Bracket
F & R Electric Window Switches & R Looms (inc fasteners)
R Badges
Spare Fuses
Timing Belts & Tensioner
Towbar
Wheelarch Liners & Fasteners
Aircon Recharge
Climate Control
Spare Key Fob & Key
F Seat Backboards Inc Map Pockets

It may be of no interest at all, but with the Completed List now being longer than the To Do one and the positive feedback received so far, just thought I'd share.

Old 21-09-11, 09:52 AM   #26
peterzs
promoted bloke!

Smile

Sorry, dont know how to rename and move threads, have to wait for a clever mod to come along!!

However the work you have done is immense, think it would have been quicker and easier to have bought a cat C or D with bumper damage!!!!

The end result is worth all your effort and you have a great ZS Derv still on the road.

Old 21-09-11, 10:23 AM   #27
Enright

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
However the work you have done is immense,
Ah, much of it is just niggly, fiddly jobs that don't individually make much of a difference, but as a whole they transform the car. When I see something I don't like I just add it to the list, then I don't have to keep trying to remember stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
think it would have been quicker and easier to have bought a cat C or D with bumper damage!!!!
I can see your point, but there are a few good arguments against that:

1) I'm cr@p at bodywork! I just don't have the patience or the facilities for all the prep work. If I can do straight bolt-on replacements then I'm fine, but after that I find it all a bit of a black art. Give me mechanical/electrical issues to sort any day. The finish is much less subjective - they either work or they don't!

2) I've tried it before with the blue ZR TD that was in one of the previous pictures. It only had some sill damage which had previously written it off due to a general state of neglect/abuse, and which I was able to cover up with a sideskirt.
As a Cat C you get no history (not even a number of previous owners), and with that one after I went through all the effort to get it running and VIC checked it turned out to have been clocked, AND I was owner number lucky 13! Then having got it just about how I wanted it, when I got ran into I had further insurance problems because my insurer had a clause in the small-print that they don't insure previous write-offs, so cancelled my policy. Settlement is still outstanding as I'm having to chase it myself. Note of caution to others - avoid Swiftcover.com!

3) Facelift ZS TD's are like rocking horse poo, especially for that price. The last decent one I saw was the yellow one on Copart, which ended up going for silly money. For this one the expense hasn't been too bad. The major investment has been time, and hey, it keeps me off the streets!

Last edited by Enright; 21-09-11 at 10:32 AM.
Old 21-09-11, 12:28 PM   #28
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Slightly ot, but how much did the Yellow one on Copart go for in the end, I was really tempted by that one but things didn't quite come together, hey ho.lol

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-11, 12:34 PM   #29
Enright

I think it fetched ?925.
However somewhat oddly it reappeared a few days later, only to disappear again just as quickly.
My guess is that they re-advertised after having difficulty contacting the winning bidder, only for him to turn up when he saw he was about to lose it.

Old 21-09-11, 12:43 PM   #30
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, I recall it being listed twice, it looked a really easy fix.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote