theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 31-01-09, 12:44 PM   #1
Rackers

Rackers is on a distinguished road
Mg ZS 115.

I'm looking to go from my MG ZR 105 to a ZS. What if anything, is there to know about the diesel engines? I'm getting a little bit fed up of my petrol as it has had problems which are sorted now but I worry about it too much!

Just wondering if the regulars could gimme some info on them, what regular problems there are, what I should be checking etc?

Cheers!

Last edited by Rackers; 31-01-09 at 01:03 PM.
Rackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-09, 01:28 PM   #2
vinny1979

vinny1979 is on a distinguished road
diesels are pretty awesome and nippy, a litle noisy but who cares!
93 Rover 220 GSi Turbo, 99 Golf GTi turbo Former owner of mk2 180 bx54 kgp - Ignition blue
vinny1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-09, 02:05 PM   #3
afcbadam

afcbadam is on a distinguished road
peterzs has a stunning mg zs td. talk to him about it. i think hes running around the 140-150 bhp mark and from what i know of the car he has had no problems atall.

Regal Autosport Astra GSI Turbo 304 bhp 356 lb/ft

Thorney motorsport Vectra vxr 305bhp 398lbft

Now its time to build a big turbo MG ZS

afcbadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-09, 03:19 PM   #4
vinny1979

YEAH , you can crank uo fuelling and boost as they are mechanical fuelling right? like the 306 td. Animals
93 Rover 220 GSi Turbo, 99 Golf GTi turbo Former owner of mk2 180 bx54 kgp - Ignition blue
Old 31-01-09, 08:49 PM   #5
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackers View Post
I'm looking to go from my MG ZR 105 to a ZS. What if anything, is there to know about the diesel engines? I'm getting a little bit fed up of my petrol as it has had problems which are sorted now but I worry about it too much!

Just wondering if the regulars could gimme some info on them, what regular problems there are, what I should be checking etc?

Cheers!
I'm going up to Santa Pod tomorrow, if I can find it, and hope to have a run or two, if the figures look ok I will post up, if it all goes horrible wrong you will never hear from me again.

My TD goes well and it went round Brands Hatch with the other ZS's the other day and I only had to get out of Stamford and Murrays way ( one tuned and one running nitros). You get cheap Road Fund Tax £120 They are a bit noisy but thats on the outside, when your driving its quite, I've had a de-cat, powerflow ss from de-cat to back box and a remap, BMC filter. Plus a Roverron MAF box.

Trouble is the extra power is at a cost, checked mpg the other day and it was down to 34.4.

Still that was after using the extra power and found that I had overfulled it by putting the MAF thingy up too high, turned it down to 33% and will re check.

I did have all the belts, fluids, disks and pads sorted as you never know how its been looked after before you buy it.

In my opinion they are great cars, the engine is a L series, not modern like the BMW diesel, but has been around a few years without any major problems.

The car alarm was my only problem and this was a soggy sender unit that can be sorted by following the help on the forum.
peterzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-09, 09:13 PM   #6
Rackers

Rackers is on a distinguished road
Sounds good then, just have to find one close to me in decent nick! Hope to hear from you .

Thanks!
Rackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-09, 09:19 PM   #7
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Wink

Quote:
Sounds good then, just have to find one close to me in decent nick! Hope to hear from you .

Thanks!
They do seem to be holding their price against petrol versions, check that belts have been done if required, as they can be a bit pricey to do, if nothing else you can use it as a bargaining point. Hope you get a good one.

peter
Old 01-02-09, 03:29 PM   #8
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
In terms of things to look out for, as Peter mentioned the MAF goes - so a MAFAM from Ron is almost a must. (although i have disconencted mine as my injectors were overfueling pre boost with it plugged in)

Other thigns to look out for are the Intercooler hoses weeping and eventually splitting - very common. they are £35+vat for a top hose from xpart.

Another issue is theEGR can get gummed up and stop working properly. They can be cleaned and re-assembled or blanked off on a Mk1 car. the 2004 have to have it removed from the ECU MAP (you can tell it never to run so therefore it does not mind if it is banled off) if you dont you wioll get the MIL light on.

Peter has done pretty much all you can do -tho a remap and\or fitting some SDI injectors could give a bit more power. Although you have top be careful as much more starts to generate too much torque for the clutch&gearbox....

The oil cooler pipes are also prone to corrode, so take a quick look at them if you can - not hugely expensive job to get changed.

Funal thing that effects all ZS's is the Ac pipes can rub and split...

The L-series if looked after is pretty bullet proof, and for aabout £500 you can get some nice minor alterations to it to get about 140-150bhp. If you want more it gets costly...

HTH
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-09, 05:14 PM   #9
peterzs
promoted bloke!

Wink

Quote:

Thanks!
Just got back from Santa Pod, cold but fun, snow stopped play for an hour, but then the sun came out as most had gone home you didny have to wait long. Had about 6 runs and then thought of the clutch.

Results of the best run
Reaction ---.7793
60 ft--------2.9211
330ft--------7.6743
1/8 ET-------11.4902
1/8 MPH-----64.60
1000ft-------14.7112
1/4----------17.5565
1/4-------81.21

Whatever all that means, I know it was my first time there and getting the start right was the hardest as you just sit there and spin up the wheels. Sorry I can not compare it to a 180 but they all chickened out. What can you say.

Saw Chris180 up there and had a laugh, lots of high tuned cars though all taking it very serious

You have to allow a few bonus points seeing I,m a granddad and nearly one of them

Good value £10 to get in and then£25 for as many goes as you can get in. Have it throughout the year.

Last edited by peterzs; 01-02-09 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-02-09, 06:21 PM   #10
vinny1979

pretty good mate. Used to run pod 15.9 in my metro gti 1.4 16v, little flying machine