theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 01-02-09, 06:26 PM   #11
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny1979 View Post
pretty good mate. Used to run pod 15.9 in my metro gti 1.4 16v, little flying machine
The funny thing is that it seems much quicker on the road, I don't know if the start slows everything down and when its moving the torque kicks it along.
peterzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 10:56 AM   #12
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
all due to the way that the torque is delivered.. and diesel will almost always loose out on a 1\4 mile as we need more gearchanges

as a quick question what RPM were you changing at?

I am not sure whether this show the results properly - but this is a plot from a RR i had last year - pretty much the same mods as yours, boost increase, full exhaust, cone filter and MAFAM on the 115 standard MAP. (I have been led to belive also that this is about 6-7% optermistic as a later RR on a set that i believe is more accurate returned 125bhp and 192lbs-ft

Anyhoo, back to the point i was trying to make, as you can see from the torque curve you want to be changing when you have to to make use of the peak torque at just below 2000rpm. Yes there is the debate as t wether more torque or the gearing is beneficial, but as we have to change either way at least 4 times if you start in first you may as well make sure that it is right.

I am really gutted i have unfortunately missed every POD meet that has been done o nthe forums for one reason or another, so never been able to find out what the best things are...

ps sorry for off topic lol

p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 11:40 AM   #13
mattie007

mattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nice
Saw your car again yesterday, minus many engine parts!
Looks like our cars are sharing a shed for a while!
Old 02-02-09, 11:58 AM   #14
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Wink

To be honest I was just hanging on and changing when I could, it did hit the limiter once or twice. I did think that around 2500 would be ideal but it would have been nearer 4000-4500. Specially 1st to 2nd!!!

The car now seems to pull right up to the limiter, where before it used to fade away at higher revs.

They run RW YB all through the year so would be interesting to have another go when its a bit warmer.

I'm going to put in on a RR shortly so will post up the results.

Again sorry if a bit of topic but its still about TD.
Old 02-02-09, 12:00 PM   #15
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
I know poor thing - if it was not 2hr to get there i would pop up and go see it.

need to follow up with Matt, but i think we are waiting for the head studs so that matt can take the head off to be machined to the wire and groove can be all done, then put back together

At least it is has some company now so wont feel like its the ugly duckling sat there without a head!

I popped these in clicky tags as they are quite large, but that is the state of it when Matt took it apart!

hmm that picture in my head is not quite right now lool

poorly1
poorly2
poorly3
poorly4
poorly5
Old 02-02-09, 12:04 PM   #16
p_b82
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
To be honest I was just hanging on and changing when I could, it did hit the limiter once or twice. I did think that around 2500 would be ideal but it would have been nearer 4000-4500. Specially 1st to 2nd!!!

The car now seems to pull right up to the limiter, where before it used to fade away at higher revs.

They run RW YB all through the year so would be interesting to have another go when its a bit warmer.

I'm going to put in on a RR shortly so will post up the results.

Again sorry if a bit of topic but its still about TD.
sounds good, the power does drop off after 4000, and if my memory is correct a 4000rpm shift will be about 2500 in the next gear.

I will have to work out what will be best later on when the car is back as the torque curve will hopefully be a lot flatter so just need to worry about 4000rpm barrier really...
Old 02-02-09, 12:13 PM   #17
peterzs
promoted bloke!

Wink

You said the damage was over fuelling but was that the remap, or did you put in SDI injectors??? Or both!!!
Old 02-02-09, 01:11 PM   #18
p_b82
Site Supporter

I went one step above that!

I put a set of 'wingy' injectors in it that flow so much fuel (but with poor atomisation) that on the standard map and the hybrid turbo only at 22PSI (3PSI over max stock, it is good up to about 28, but not sure of the other parts lol)
i got 160bhp on an aborted power run (stopped at 3k rpm iirc)

the remap i have had was to take fuel out, not add more!

so basically the injectors are ~180bar break pressure, the SDI's are 200 and the ZS ones are 210 - becuase it was a case of more fuel across the whole rev range, i needed to get some (read a lot) taken out when the standard map was used.

It has also transpired that that while the extra fuel created the heat to weaken things the damage has been done by the remap guy advancing the timing a touch.

The way that our fuel pump delivers the fuel is much more than the SDI engine, and they run much more advanced timing - however in our cars that caused the cylinder pressures to go up too much, and the head lifted - hence the damage and the HGF you can see in the pics.

if you dont use full throttle then the head did not lift and no more coolant loss - but the damage has been done.

I am a guniea pig in how to fix the problem, with the help of matt that is - the other route is to get a decompression plate made up to lower the compression ratio from the rather high 19.5:1 down to somewhere near 18:1. this would mean much lower cylinder pressures, but at the cost of fuel combustion in the cylinder. the downside is it requires a fair bit of remap work to adjust for this. Hence why i am tying an alternate method.

If you get SDI injectors and a remap from some-one that is not aware of the problems then you may be hit the same issues if the remap is too aggressive - we have seen it on .org

The remap guy has stuck his hand up and realised his 'mistake' he basically missed the much higher compression ratio in our cars compared to the other vp30 cars (vag group) and so this is is coupled with higher boost pressure just prooved to be too much if you try for more than about 150bhp and 250lbs-ft.

a remap alone will not cause the damage you can see, but if the re-mapper asks too much of the fuel pump it can lead to premature failure. about 130-140 but not sure torque values) is what you could expect from a remap alone.
the SDI's on there own will give you the same figures roughly.. but without a mild remap can be a touch smokey pre boost and right up top 3500+rpm.

The injectors i am using 'require' a bigger or hybrid turbo, uprated clutch&gearbox, Remap and preferably an FMIC to get smoke levels (and therefore EGT and cylinder pressures) down to sustainable levels. because my clutch hydraulics originally failed, and the FMIC was not\is not fitted the remap wasn't completed so i was still driving it will too much fuel - hence the issues.

I hope that makes a bit of sense... had a phone call half way through and lost my train of thought lol
Old 02-02-09, 01:47 PM   #19
peterzs
promoted bloke!

Wink

Yes thanks, I'll stick with what I've got as it drives well. Best of luck with the rebuild.
Old 02-02-09, 05:49 PM   #20
mattie007

mattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nice
He did mention about waiting for a part from the USA!
Sounds like quite a project, 450 torques!