theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 10-12-10, 11:27 AM   #1
rakester

rakester is on a distinguished road
Clutch Ideas / Thoughts

Had a few thoughts as regards clutches on a standard ZS 180 and the route I'm going to go for on my tubby conversion. As you all know the 180 (not sure if he 4pot ZS' also use this system) uses a a hydraulic clutch that is prone to failure due to cheaply / poorly made components. ..

A lot of people would consider this a 'downgrade' but has anyone converted a ZS to a cable operated clutch like many other PG1 gearbox setups? Would be a cheaper option that replacing the epic fail hydraulic system.

Also this question is more aimed at 'PeteT16' / 'carmadbreaker' (or 'madcarbreaker', always get it the wrong way round lol)

Sorry for all the threads lately asking a lot of questions, some may probably be thinking how the heck am I going to do a tubby conversion if I don't know things like this but I just like to ask lots of questions / hear other peoples thoughts

Jake
rakester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-10, 11:39 AM   #2
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
I'm using 620ti hydraulics and clutch operating arm, so binned all the original plastic stuff.

Cable clutch isn't a bad idea, the R8 T16 cars all used a cable clutch, I only ever had one cable fail in 8 years, and that took 10 mins to replace.

If you went that way with the ZS you would probably need to change the pedal box for a cable one.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-10, 11:44 AM   #3
rakester

Quote:
Originally Posted by petet16 View Post
I'm using 620ti hydraulics and clutch operating arm, so binned all the original plastic stuff.

Cable clutch isn't a bad idea, the R8 T16 cars all used a cable clutch, I only ever had one cable fail in 8 years, and that took 10 mins to replace.

If you went that way with the ZS you would probably need to change the pedal box for a cable one.
Thanks for the reply Pete (sorry I keep on pestering you with questions!)

My current hydraulic system is actually fine but as you probably know they aren't reliable unless you go for something like a Sheddist kit or the 620ti setup

I need to get my head under the pedal box to see if it has mounting for a cable. I presume then all of the ZS range uses the hydraulic setup then as I believe yours was a 4pot before you converted?
Old 10-12-10, 12:40 PM   #4
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Yes, all the zs are hyd clutch as standard.

You could make your own version of a Sheddist kit using iirc a Honda Civic m/cyl and a ti slave cyl.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-10, 01:02 PM   #5
rakester

Quote:
Originally Posted by petet16 View Post
Yes, all the zs are hyd clutch as standard.

You could make your own version of a Sheddist kit using iirc a Honda Civic m/cyl and a ti slave cyl.
Ah cool stuff, might look into that then. As yeah saw a few posts saying it can be a lot cheaper to make the Sheddist kit yourself

Will check though the pedal box also to see if it will accept a cable.

Can't wait to finish uni next week and start work on the car!
Old 10-12-10, 08:16 PM   #6
rakester

quick bump encase anyone knows anything more about this ie if the pedal box has a mount already for a cable