theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 25-02-12, 08:18 PM   #1
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Cruise Control

The ZS is the family mile eater and one thing I've always missed is cruise control.
Strolling around my local scrap yard I came across an early 2.0 KV6 auto Rover 45 which had audio and cruise switches on the steering wheel.

The wheel is now in my car and the audio controls are wired up.

I also found the dash control switch, one of the control ECU's (there are 2), the actuator and actuator pump.

It appears that most KV6's have the mounting bracket for the acuator attached to the throttle body.

The next time you are under the bonnet have a look.
Old 25-02-12, 08:23 PM   #2
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Since then I have done a lot of research into both 45 and 75/ZT cruise control and found that they mostly share the same system but the ECU's are wired differently.

These are the ECU and actuator parts required:-

Rover 45
Cruise control relay - behind passanger footwell kick panel - part no SCB100202 - (it is not the yellow relay with the diode, it is a black box)
Cruise control ECU - behind centre consol - part no SCB100190
Actuator pump - under battery tray - part no SCC100030 or SCC100030L
Actuator - next to throttle body

Rover 75/ZT/ZT-T
Cruise control relay - above passanger footwell - part no SCB100201
Cruise control ECU - above passanger footwell - part no SCB100190
Actuator pump - top left hand corner of engine bay low down on the bulk head - part no SCC100030 or SCC100030L
Actuator - next to throttle body

The Freelander KV6 uses the same parts but I have no idea of location.

Many of these bits are still available from Rimmers and eBay but they are considerably more expensive.

In the next post I shall give you some more of the parts required.
I will also give some of the wiring info - as this requires some skills such as wiring, breaking into engine managment systems etc it won't be a full how to, just some useful info if you are considering the same.
Old 25-02-12, 08:59 PM   #3
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Sounds much too technical for me, but good luck with it all.

This for all those continental long straight roads???

peterzs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-12, 09:09 PM   #4
big_wasa

big_wasa has a spectacular aura aboutbig_wasa has a spectacular aura about
I think it would be a great mod ......
big_wasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-12, 09:36 PM   #5
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
looks great, engine bay could do with a good clean there james
Old 26-02-12, 10:23 AM   #6
talkingcars

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
Sounds much too technical for me, but good luck with it all.

This for all those continental long straight roads???

It is technical, I've spent untold hours looking through wiring diagrams for 45's, ZS's, 75's and ZT's trying to translate from one version to the other, trying to adapt from auto to manuals.......

We are doing less long continetal roads nowadays as it is as cheap to sail Portsmouth/Bilbao as Sail Dover/Calais and drive to Bilbao with fuel prices and tolls as they are, the drive at the other end is 20 minutes.

However having had the use of cruise control many times before it can be used even on short journeys, especially with the tourque of a decent V6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_wasa View Post
I think it would be a great mod ......
I hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchy View Post
looks great, engine bay could do with a good clean there james
That as they say, is an old photo, I did a clean before Zed10 and replaced lots of the screws with stainless allan bolts.
Old 26-02-12, 10:46 AM   #7
talkingcars

Other parts required are:-

The steering wheel switches - these do come up on their own but require fitting to the steering wheel so a complete one would be better, think Rover 45.

The ZS rotery coupler has the wiring already installed so no need to replace this.

The main loom side of the coupler has a plug with sufficiant terminals to connect up, I was lucky to get the plug with all the wires so transfered the extra wires to my car, however I found it impossible to remove the terminals from the plug so used my dremal and sliced the plastic.

Another rare part is the dash board switch which fits the plug on the right hand side of the speddo surround, this is the point commonaly used for the Vis indicators. My plan is to fit the Vis indicator in the left hand socket and move the fog light switches to the centre consol as per the MK2 when I do the climate control conversion.

I suspect one could wire a front fogs switch to work as a cruise control switch.

The ZS speedo is fitted with the advice light showing that cruise is switched on but no bulb is fitted, I obtained a bulb and an extra terminal with wire from a scrap 45.

I wired the 2 lighting contacts on the cruise switch to the lighting for the fog switch, this also allows the dash light to illuminate.
Old 26-02-12, 10:48 AM   #8
talkingcars

You will also need a switch for the clutch to turn off the cruise if you dip the clutch to prevent the engine over reving. The clutch peddle is already fitted with the hole for this but if you have a sheddist the hole is used for the adjustable stop so I shall be making an aditional bracket.

The brake peddle already has a switch fitted, on my car this has 4 terminals, 2 for the brake light switch and 2 are unused.

Finally you'll need to add an extra wire to the brake ECU and the engine managment ECU, for these I obtained spare terminals from scraped cars.
Old 26-02-12, 10:55 AM   #9
talkingcars

So far I have fitted:-

The acuator to the exsisting bracket.
The acuator pump to a new mount under my ECU which was relocated to allow for the alternative airfilter mounting.

The dash switch.

I have made up an engine bay loom and connected this to the acuator pump, the engine managment ECU and the ABS ECU and fed it through to the cabin.

Made up an extra fuse box which also includes the extra fuses for the heated seats and rear electric windows I've previously added using individual fuses on fly leads.

The steering wheel, dash switch and speedo warning light are all wired and wires feed to the fuse box and glove box where the cruise ECU's will go.

All that is left to do is rewire the cruise ECU's from the ZT to work on my ZS, connect the peddle switches and add power..........

Watch this space............
Old 26-02-12, 01:02 PM   #10
pheelay

pheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the rough
Great thread. I was really hoping this project worked out. Looks like it's progressing very well.

I'd say the rarity of many of parts will make it a very unique conversion.
pheelay is offline   Reply With Quote