theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 17-01-13, 11:04 PM   #11
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb25 View Post
Lol its wrong because its a Zed 180.....why buy a car that is fun factor 10 but known to be thirsty and then convert it to LPG.....a 180 should be expensive, the grin factor makes it worthwhile!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
Maybe they are like me and do many miles every year.

How often do most people use the full power of their 180?
And just because you have cheaper running costs doesn't mean you can't enjoy the car.
and like I said, when you need that extra power - switch to petrol.

The ad says there is a failed PAS pipe.
Old 17-01-13, 11:29 PM   #12
Smokey
The Alan Gow of OBTCC

Smokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Lol its wrong because its a Zed 180.....why buy a car that is fun factor 10 but known to be thirsty and then convert it to LPG.....a 180 should be expensive, the grin factor makes it worthwhile!
I rarely drive mine at full chat just now and still enjoy every minute of driving. I care not a jot what my mpg are since, as you point out, I bought the car, knowing it's hunger for fuel.

That said, I would buy one with LPG as it gives you an option. I driver 100 mile round trips twice a month. Would I not like to have fun driving the 180 with minimal performance difference at a fraction of the cost for those necessary journeys? Of course I would!

Thus, in my opinion, LPG'ing a 180 is as viable as any other car and if it didn't cost the value of the car for the conversion, I'd consider it.

2009 Forza 2 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC 2nd Place Runner-up
2009/2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Clio Cup 4th Place
2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/F500 Cup 2nd Place Runner-up
2011 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 3rd Place
2012 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 1st Place Winner
2012/2013 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/DTM Championship 3rd Place
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-13, 06:50 AM   #13
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Well spotted TC on the burst pas pipe, that would explain the empty reservoir

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-13, 07:32 AM   #14
pb25

pb25 will become famous soon enough
I think your missing my point! I have done 29000 plus miles in the last 6 months since having my Zed. When I started looking I decided that diesel would be the only option due to the miles I do. If I had a nice family car that did then miles and there were lots of LPG garages locally then maybe I would consider LPG. I would have a 180 for the weekends and for fun but not to take a performance car and then change it to reduce said performance.

Maybe its just me but a Zed is for driving as god intended.....I know the only thing I will do to my Zed is increase the power!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
Old 18-01-13, 04:55 PM   #15
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
You can't have done 29'000 miles just driving round your local town - assuming the speed limit is 30mph that would be over 40 days driving with out stopping or slowing down!

It therefore follows that you have driven some distances so will have passed LPG suppliers.

I really don't beleive that you are driving on public roads exploting the engine to the full at all times so you wont notice the slight reduction in performance
and as I keep saying - when you need it switch to petrol.

Assuming petrol costs £1.35/L and you are getting 30mpg you've spent £1300 on fuel in 6 months - I expect it will be a lot more as you drive everywhere at full tilt - in a year that is over £2.5k, you would have paid for the conversion in that time.

I challange you to try a vehicle that has LPG and try it on both fuels and then still tell me that you notice a difference in everyday driving.
Old 18-01-13, 09:10 PM   #16
tb steve

tb steve has a spectacular aura abouttb steve has a spectacular aura about
true tc it doe's say that in the ad it also so said thats the steering is ok just a bit heavy at low speed
so they have been driving it without any fluid in it ????
tb steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-13, 10:22 PM   #17
can i fix it

can i fix it is on a distinguished road
Red face

i have a 180 2002 57000 ish have had loads of cars had it a year now my wife can't belive i have had it so long and still love it, had it fitted with lpg last year i do 150 200 miles a week cost for this round £23.00 per week you can't tell it from petrol, as i am over 50 not often do i drive it at full bore so fine for me i also have a yellow 180 and a 1.8t zt i like my mg. most times i take the lpg one fuel station are not like petrol ones but the tank of lpg 250 miles i can fill up as i am passing i will keep it for 5 years if i can i got it converted only so it is as cheap to run as say a 1.8. yes you still get the grin factor lol
can i fix it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-13, 11:30 PM   #18
Smokey
The Alan Gow of OBTCC

Smokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to behold
At the end of the day, we buy 180's for the fun factor. If it was all about fuel, we'd all drive 1.1 Hyundai Getz's!

I have driven an Astra with LPG at work and there is no noticeable performance difference between the two fuels and that's at full tilt as required.

I also read on this forum of an LPG owner mentioning that they noticed little difference in performance of the 180.

pb25, I think you miss the point of the conversion. It's like saying there is no point in a high performance PC when you spend 20% of the time playing games that push the system and 80% searching the web, using eBay, writing on forums, watching movies etc, etc.

I could give many other examples but the bottom line is, the 180 is a car. It will be driven within the laws of the road and occasionally given a good thrashing. Being able to change fuels to suit the desired requirement is a bonus in my mind, not a sacrifice or a mistake. If you disagree, that's fine, don't get one yourself but it's not nice to say that someone is 'wrong' to convert a 180 to LPG.

2009 Forza 2 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC 2nd Place Runner-up
2009/2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Clio Cup 4th Place
2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/F500 Cup 2nd Place Runner-up
2011 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 3rd Place
2012 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 1st Place Winner
2012/2013 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/DTM Championship 3rd Place
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote