theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 11-11-12, 01:45 PM   #41
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Supercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really nice
Change that engine / gearbox mount for a 420 turbo one if you can
Supercharged_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 01:51 PM   #42
sneekyparrot

sneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the rough
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged_Z View Post
Change that engine / gearbox mount for a 420 turbo one if you can
Hi ya m8,

Is it a more sturdy item?
Old 11-11-12, 01:57 PM   #43
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Supercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really nice
There is a more sturdy one I'm sure it's a 420 t or 420 nasp version to be honest.

That's the mount that snapped on me. It rocks a heck of a lot
Supercharged_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 02:18 PM   #44
sneekyparrot

sneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

K, will do some digging unless anyone else can confirm.

Cheers
Old 11-11-12, 02:25 PM   #45
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
It looks like the v6 mount bolted to the chassis rail, and something fabricated to attach it to the gearbox.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 02:30 PM   #46
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Some pics of the 420 mount

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

Last edited by petet16; 11-11-12 at 02:34 PM.
petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-12, 04:14 PM   #47
sneekyparrot

Thumbs up

Well Its been a while so thought i would post a little update!

Engine Out and parked ready for strip down. I have just picked up a new large port AGU head, this will be matched to the large port inlet manifold then the whole lot ported for flow.
Motor will be stripped / checked / balanced and rebuilt will AGU pistons and rings to increase the compression ratio, hoping this little lot with the new Manifold / 550cc injectors will see around 325-330hp but with lower boost and lower egt's

Clutch looked worn but a quick chat with manufacturer and its only got 20-25% wear phew!

The chassis is now being fully stripped, stitch welded then repainted. After scouring the tinternet and finding a number of recommendations from restore guys i will be using POR15 materials for the underside which should be a dam sight better than the rather dubious MG/Rover finish! It seems the seam sealer is either a foot thick or missing completely, a number of joining panels have missed the welding machine completely and some of the floor plan covering is so thin the water has got behind it and it flaked off with very little effort!

I was a little surprised to find nothing along the front scuttle joining the 2 front sections of the roll cage, This will be installed along with gusseting which will fix the cage to the roof / A pillars / B pillars. I am also getting a local company to make me up some bracing for the rear strut housings, i did try and work a solution for the front struts but it was going to be far to much work so will prob just run a top brace.

Parts are still arriving! picked these up will only a couple of thou on them

Since the rebuild has ended up going much further than a thought, i am waiting for the right bits to come along at the right price although some will be bought new for my own piece of mind others from part builds or bought in error seem to come up more often than you think across the various civic forums.

Had no choice but to buy these the last set of spares from spc direct for the front upper arms. It would of been cheaper to buy new skunk or buddyclub units but i like the SPC's arms, in fact the best i have seen with integrated castor adjustment.

with all the hassles i had over suspected copies of the skunk 2 LCA i bought some 100% genuine items however apart from the serial numbers and 5 grooved bushes they are identical to the ones i already have, machining marks are the same and they both weigh in a just under 5lbs so i now have two sets

if anyone wants the other set then they will be up for grabs soon.

Will update again once all the welding has finished.

Paul
Old 28-12-12, 04:28 PM   #48
Drew

Drew has a spectacular aura aboutDrew has a spectacular aura about
the hardrace are a good choise, still not really set mine up but it does handle pretty well with a new set of tyres and some toe adjustments!

Drew
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-12, 05:44 PM   #49
sneekyparrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
the hardrace are a good choise, still not really set mine up but it does handle pretty well with a new set of tyres and some toe adjustments!

Drew
I have to agree they are about the best priced / quality items out there. I wanted the spc ones but they refused to supply me from the us, only thru eibach over here but I ain't paying there prices!!
Although they do some nice hollow arb kits I have been looking at :-)
Old 12-01-13, 09:30 AM   #50
sneekyparrot

Thumbs up

I want some mods done to the tornado cage fitted in the reyland, across the bulkhead, better pickups on front and rear struts and some gusseting from cage to the chassis. I just don't have the time to measure up and make moulds of what I want to send to tornado do searched the net and fouń this guy about 20 mins from home http://tube-bender.co.uk/

He is coming round Tuesday night after work to take a look and measure up so will let the forum know how it turns out, already impressed with the response of no probs I will come after work and we can sort out what you want :-)))

If only all were so helpful !

Paul