theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 04-02-10, 08:26 PM   #1
Simon's ZS-120

Simon's ZS-120 is on a distinguished road
Could Be Leaving Halfords Soon

As halfords have had this new idea about how they want the store ran they are changing job roles for people and some people are being made redundent if we dont like our new job role we can leave or they will sack us so they dont have to pay us a redundency package. So ive started looking for a new job well been looking for a while and every time i think long and hard i always come back to what ive done before and that is the army so on monday im going to sign back up but stuck on 2 job roles infantry or armored core

The MG ZS MK2 120 In X-Power Grey
Simon's ZS-120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 09:17 PM   #2
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
For a second there I was guessing the female staff were too young for you!

I digress.....

That doesn't sound right to me, they cannot sack you for an enforced job role change. If your role has become redundant then they can offer you an alternative position, if you don't accept it then you can take redundancy. Do you have a contract of employment? Better still do you want to stay?
Old 04-02-10, 09:19 PM   #3
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Hi Simon, dont think they can do that, depends on how long you have been there and your contract of employment.

Think it would be Unfair Dismissal, or Constructive Dismissal, anyhow if you have been with them over two years you have rights, that they can not just change, without compensation.

Think your brave to sign back up, as you know where you will most likely end up, think I would go the Tank route, least you have some heavy metal round you.

Best of luck with the next move.

Old 04-02-10, 09:41 PM   #4
Simon's ZS-120

Simon's ZS-120 is on a distinguished road
im coming up to 3 years in halfords they havnt tried this yet on a store but its happenig at every store now and 3 of my mates from diffrent stores have been made redundent or go onto a lower pay as im already on the lowest pay and my area that i work on is quiet im more than likely be made redundent im not really fussed tho as this is the time to sort my life out as im not going very far in life at the mo but they are forcing the job role on to those who stay and if you dont like your job role then you can quit or they will just find away to sack you this is clever that way they wont have to pay you a redundency package that way but all speacalists in the area have been made redundent

The MG ZS MK2 120 In X-Power Grey
Simon's ZS-120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 10:00 PM   #5
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Redundancy works out at a weeks pay for every complete year of service, plus any unused holiday pay, they have to give you 3 weeks notice, they can pay in lieu of notice, or make you work it.

You can take time off to look for a new job during the notice period.

Most likely find they will keep you on as you have the experience.

Hope you get it sorted.

Old 05-02-10, 11:31 AM   #6
will-w

will-w is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
Redundancy works out at a weeks pay for every complete year of service, plus any unused holiday pay, they have to give you 3 weeks notice, they can pay in lieu of notice, or make you work it.
Not for us young people it doesn't, as I sadly found out when investigating the end of last year!

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...al/calculator/

For some odd reason they think that young people should get less?

A 22 year old gets half what a 25+ year old gets

Derv power baby!

Last edited by will-w; 05-02-10 at 11:33 AM.
will-w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 11:49 AM   #7
R8NMG

R8NMG will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
This is indeed what my company is doing but it is a 6 weeks notice.

Simon as you have pointed out, you are not going to get very far in life working at Halfords and by the sound of things you aren't exactly in management.
R8NMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 12:30 PM   #8
peterzs
promoted bloke!

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-w View Post
Not for us young people it doesn't, as I sadly found out when investigating the end of last year!

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...al/calculator/

For some odd reason they think that young people should get less?

A 22 year old gets half what a 25+ year old gets
Learn something new every day, I know that it used to be at 64 if you were made then made redundant you lost a 1/12 for every month you got nearer to you 65th birthday. On the calculator I see its 60/61 so I dont know if thats changed.

Yep looks like its all changed.

Old 05-02-10, 12:35 PM   #9
peterzs
promoted bloke!

Smile

[QUOTE=R8NMG;139976]This is indeed what my company is doing but it is a 6 weeks notice.

It is age related, with more the older you get, there is also a ceiling on the weekly pay, so if you get £500 a week its capped at £380, but I think the company can pay what they want.

Old 05-02-10, 04:45 PM   #10
starfire039

starfire039 is on a distinguished road
you are by far better off in the army in the long run than in halfords mate. sucks about your job situation but hope it all works out for you
  • Replace/fix rattly mirror
  • Mark 2 dashboard
  • Catch tank
  • New VIS motors
  • Fit bucket seats
  • Induction kit
  • New spark plugs + oil change
  • New exhaust
  • Decat
  • Fix drivers seat mounting hole
  • Reidy Remap

starfire039 is offline   Reply With Quote