theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 08-02-10, 04:32 PM   #1
marco90

marco90 is on a distinguished road
Quin Insurance is a joke!!

I bought my zs about 3 - 4 months ago but crashed it due to the snow quin valued my car at £3000 yet they are only giving me £1300 for my car thats not even half of what the car is worth because of the remaining balance on my insurance is there anything i can do??
marco90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 05:42 PM   #2
leezs110

leezs110 is on a distinguished road
Wink tell em to f off!

They are trying it on bud!

I had the same myself back in 2003 when my rover 216 was stolen off my drive, they came up with a crap offer hoping i would accept but i told them to stick it & held out for a better offer!
leezs110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 05:51 PM   #3
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco90 View Post
I bought my zs about 3 - 4 months ago but crashed it due to the snow quin valued my car at £3000 yet they are only giving me £1300 for my car thats not even half of what the car is worth because of the remaining balance on my insurance is there anything i can do??

Never accept the first offer, insurance co's always try it on, bet a lot of people accept it and Ins co rub their hands.

Get some adverts that show the going rate for the same car, year, condition etc, plus any invoices for repairs, service, that show you have maintained/improved the car. No mods that are not declared of course.

Write to them and send everything recorded, makes them think and you have proof they have received the letter.

Best of luck.

Old 08-02-10, 08:36 PM   #4
marco90

marco90 is on a distinguished road
thanks allot for your tips and help ill be sure to do that
marco90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 08:49 PM   #5
starfire039

starfire039 is on a distinguished road
What Pete said... don't let them fob you off with that offer. All the best!
  • Replace/fix rattly mirror
  • Mark 2 dashboard
  • Catch tank
  • New VIS motors
  • Fit bucket seats
  • Induction kit
  • New spark plugs + oil change
  • New exhaust
  • Decat
  • Fix drivers seat mounting hole
  • Reidy Remap

starfire039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 08:59 PM   #6
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Well .... sorry, but beg to differ.

If your insurance premium was for example £2000 , but you've only paid them £500 of it, a quarter, they would quite rightly in my opinion, only offer you a quarter of what the car is valued at.

Obviously I don't know the exact figures, but you can't expect a full payout if you've only paid a third of the premium. Clearly though as others have said, you need to get as much as you can. Hunt around the classifieds for a similar car to yours and quote them in any corres with the company.

Sorry that you've done the car in though mate.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 09:26 PM   #7
will-w

will-w is on a distinguished road
I'd agree with Dan... Unfortunately when you took the policy you signed a contract for a year (12 months)..

If you for example pay £100 a month over 12 months, and are only 4 months through your insurance then of course they'll take the remaining £800 off of your settlement figure..

Sucks I know, but speaking from experience here it happens (old man had an accident in his 400 a few years back, they kept the remaining 4 months of money and the years no claims - even though he had protected NCD!)

Derv power baby!

Last edited by will-w; 08-02-10 at 09:28 PM.
will-w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-10, 09:42 AM   #8
mattie007

mattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nice
Is that true?

I was only 3 months into a policy with my old Rover 211 and they paid me £1850 with the car valued at £1900 in my policy.
I only paid £1500 for it aswell!
Old 10-02-10, 09:51 AM   #9
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Generally if your car is written off they cancel your policy there and then. So I would beg to differ with them demanding the balance. When Kathy's Jimny was written off we did not pay the balance on the policy as there was some 6 months remaining. We got two cheques, one for the scrap value and the balance was for the agreed valuation, to which I did not contest as it was alot higher than I had expected!

Maybe there is something in the small print regarding own fault claims as opposed to non-fault claims and any outstanding balance? I would call them and ask for clarification on the matter.

Out of interest what was the scrap value they offered you in order to buy it back?

The wife's Jimny O2 was an 02 plate and the scrap value was around £575 and the total agreed came to £3200 and that had over 60k miles on it. I wouldn't say that was worth it, but I wasn't going to argue!
Old 10-02-10, 10:04 AM   #10
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Must admit I forgot what mega bucks the Insurance Co's charge now adays, my derv is £240 a year.

Suppose it means that we need more details, such as Ins cost for the year, if it was spread over 12 months, declared value of the car, amount of excess.

Think we should all go over to Matties Insurance Co.

Or Stamford's