theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 19-03-13, 07:23 PM   #1
bowthruster

bowthruster has a spectacular aura aboutbowthruster has a spectacular aura about
New MOT rules

My mot runs out in 2 wks,ive been told that if i take it for the mot now,and it fails,then i can only use it to take it to be repaired/and back for test again,and my current mot would become invalid even though its got a couple of wks left.Is this correct????Thx
Work safe, and remember all technical problems can be resolved with a hammer, the trick is knowing where to hit it and how big a hammer to use (I often find it may also help to have a spare bit in the shed to replace the bit you have just mullered
bowthruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-13, 07:25 PM   #2
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
I've heard this before, I'm not sure if it's correct or not.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-13, 07:36 PM   #3
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowthruster View Post
My mot runs out in 2 wks,ive been told that if i take it for the mot now,and it fails,then i can only use it to take it to be repaired/and back for test again,and my current mot would become invalid even though its got a couple of wks left.Is this correct????Thx
Technical that has always been the case, even if you tested it yesterday with a pass and again today with a fail.
Old 19-03-13, 07:38 PM   #4
mrmick

mrmick is on a distinguished road
Thats the point of taking it a month before it runs out to allow you to get it repaired before the official expired date
WARWICKSHIRE & NORTHANTS RAPID RESPONSE VEHICLE.
winner of best zs saloon zs monogram and modded zs also 2nd best car of show at first Mgww meet
Winner best zs saloon at MG saloon day burghley house 19th july 2015
mrmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-13, 07:38 PM   #5
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

This seems to suggest that if it fails you can only drive it for a retest, I think the latest mot takes precedence, so even if it still has a valid mot that is cancelled by the new mot.

Old 19-03-13, 07:40 PM   #6
bowthruster

bowthruster has a spectacular aura aboutbowthruster has a spectacular aura about
So if i got it tested tomorrow and it failed,i dont get paid until next thurs,i cant drive it about then.I want it done early to find out what this bloody noise is,and can book it in to be fixed etc,The MOT place is an independant-no repairs.
Work safe, and remember all technical problems can be resolved with a hammer, the trick is knowing where to hit it and how big a hammer to use (I often find it may also help to have a spare bit in the shed to replace the bit you have just mullered
Old 19-03-13, 07:42 PM   #7
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

Maybe ask them to do a pre mot and check for the noise.

Old 19-03-13, 07:45 PM   #8
Enright

Enright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the rough
Technically it's not a new rule.
The MoT test is only a snapshot in time, and it can only do so much to safeguard against wear and tear over the coming year.
For example, your exhaust could fall off shortly after your MoT, but if it wasn't blowing at the time you took it in then your MoT would still be valid. Would that stop the police from doing you for driving an unroadworthy vehicle? Absolutely not.
It's your risk, but I'm afraid that if you are caught driving a vehicle that you have been notified is unroadworthy, then they are within their rights to chuck the book at you.
The trade-off is that you can take it in up to a month early, and if it passes then you'll get an automatic extension to a year after the original expiry date. In other words your MoT will not be due for up to 13 months after you took it in.

Mk2 MG ZS TD 115 with full 180 kit (and 2x Lotus Elan SE Turbos)
Enright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-13, 07:47 PM   #9
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

I think there is a validity period of 3 months for rust, and 1 month for mechanical items.

Old 19-03-13, 07:52 PM   #10
bowthruster

For F**ks sake! I'll take it up there tomorrow and see what they say about having a quick look for me.Cheers all