theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 31-03-11, 08:54 PM   #11
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
Must admit its getting me worried now, as it seems 150+bhp and the torque that goes with it can bu**er the engine/clutch up.

It goes well as is and if I wanted 180 performance I would have bought one, so will have to have a think about it.

Not worth worrying about mate ..... If you're happy then leave it.

I just think that there is always a bit of untapped performance in there and that engines are always way within tolerencies when they come out of the box.

I can't see that SDis and a decat would put any more strain on the engine, but there is probably an arguement that they do allow them to breath and function more easily. A remap might push it a bit if you get carried away turning up the turbo etc, but if the car can be helped to perform better, unless you're gunning it all the time, or pumping it to extreme levels, I can't see that it'll do a great deal of harm.

And ..... you can get a new engine for a few hundred quid if it all goes totally bent. come on .... man up.

As soon as I'm able, I'm getting it looked at and I'll have the print telling me that I've got 150ish under the bonnet and in gear torque to keep a big smile on my face.

A few years ago when the VW GTi turbo was launched with 150bhp I was well impressed with it. For me to have that power and 40+mpg from a car that has cost me comparitively very little and lets me feel like I belong here ..... I'll be a very happy guy.
Dan1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-11, 09:08 PM   #12
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Must admit Dan, be fun going round Brands again, in two dervs this time.

Don't think I did my clutch any favours going from 2nd to 5th. when pulling out of a lay-by and getting over into the fast lane, with a car coming up fast behind. Doh!!!

Does seem to be OK again now though.

Now I've got the SDi's, I suspect I'll bang them in and see what happens.

Old 01-04-11, 11:30 AM   #13
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
now that i can see the graph it really does not look like it boost leak to me!

boost leak would result itself much sooner and in fact reduce your torque by quite a lot - not suddenly show up at 3000rpm.

the OE turbo has hit max PSI by where you show the peak of your torque curve.... and with a laeak i would have thought it would result in peak torque much later... unless a pipe split on you on the dyno.. but that would NOT result in a massive surge of torque\power..... as per the grpah you posted...

Here is a recent one of mine - it is not a direct comparison as mine is a hybrod turbo, but it has got 3 runs on there.... 2 higher power ones and one 'safe' map

the SDI;s generally have a nice high peak, and then a gradual slow slide down as the revs increase...

you got a clutch slip at all with that new unit or summit as that shape is really quite odd and abnormal imo!

Hope you get it sorted out tho as it should be pretty tasty once sorted correctly
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-11, 09:19 AM   #14
lewys

lewys is on a distinguished road
i had a quick look on sunday and the intercooler pipe that heads over and then back down the back of the engine was starting to disintegrate! the cars off the road now and having quite a bit of work done to it, hopefully:

- sort out the clutch issue (clutch/flywheel)
- have a look at the fuelling as it has had a few problems - odd occasions where it misfires on idle and doesnt seem to respond very well (sender unit?)
- replace the turbo
- fmic
- a few other minor repairs (rocker gasket, exhaust bracket needs welding back on bla bla)

then it will be going back to fusion to see what it can actually do!

Last edited by lewys; 07-04-11 at 12:40 PM.
lewys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-11, 02:40 PM   #15
lewys

lewys is on a distinguished road
right the fuel pump has also just given way! so this could have contributed to the above result!

what can the standard pump take power wise?
lewys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-11, 03:13 PM   #16
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
mega bucks for a new one I'm afraid, Pete with the tuned one will fill you in on power etc.
Old 23-04-11, 03:35 PM   #17
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
no onw 'know's the true rating of the fuel pump itself, but the vag boys get serious power out of the same pump on the older engined cars... big turbo's and race injectors required.

however they run the other way round to ours and at a higher voltage - maybe for some reason rover identified an issue with the direction and reduced the flow rates on OE.

however it is good for 150-180 or so bhp according to Reidy (pending mods etc)
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 23-04-11, 10:27 PM   #18
zsserbia

zsserbia will become famous soon enough
factory rating of the pump is only 25 kw/cylinder... so a 100 kw is about it's peak performance. I can see you get this much power as soon as 3000 rpm and this is a great result, but track wise the pump would suffer from higher revs and it's life may be shorter...
zsserbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-11, 12:28 PM   #19
p_b82
Site Supporter

well i can tell you about how the old pump failedwhen i strip it down.. but it was the timing solenoid that gave up not the pump itself.....

Just bcause a component came out a factory rated at X does not mean that it cannot be tweaked slightly - there is so much redundancy in most engineering things now adays....

in fairness it has done over 25K miles in tuned state - even with it being 'broken' for long periods due to other engine parts failing on me lool

and i re-iterate, the vag boys get well over 200bhp from the same vp37 pump with reliability - they utilise a VNT turbo to achive the power, they are lucky enough to have a map for it in the ecu!
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 27-04-11, 05:11 PM   #20
zsserbia

zsserbia will become famous soon enough
The l-series is made very simple and to last for 500k miles if well maintained. It is factory underpowered in order to last even if severely neglected. I'm not saying it shouldn't be tuned for optimum performance but if you still want it to last then you should utilize it's higher torque and smooth power delivery but not push it to hard to often... As for the vags they are prone to melt a piston or two when pushed hard, none to mention the standard turbo if used melts fairly quickly... As for the pump it's true that the timing solenoid would die first...
zsserbia is offline   Reply With Quote