AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 20-11-16, 08:17 PM   #31
Big-Jay

Big-Jay has a spectacular aura aboutBig-Jay has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic51 View Post
Coming on nicely as you say green not to every ones liking but think it just stands out a lot now and will look better when all back together
Cheers bud,

Done a few cars now and I always end up playing it safe and going with gloss black at the powder coaters.

Thought I'd do something a bit different this time with the green and I must say I love it !

There wont be any green on the outside of the car what so ever but under the car and in the engine bay there will be plenty !
Big-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-16, 10:40 AM   #32
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Going well.

Anything else on the shopping list?
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-16, 12:19 PM   #33
Big-Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
Going well.

Anything else on the shopping list?
Cheers Dan,

There's still a decent sized list to get through, but to finish off the front end I'll need the following;

Lowering springs
New bearings & ball joints
Braided brake lines
Calliper rebuild kits
Discs & pads (recently been changed although not sure on brand or quality)
Alloys powder coated gloss black
Hankook Ventus tyre's or something along those lines
Both wings and bumper repainted (stone chips & I damaged the bottom of the O/S bodykit when removing it so will have to repair this)
New horn
Stainless Exhaust system (may go with Janspeed but not sure yet, need to do some more research on this)

And the list goes on. After that's done though it'll be belts, water pump, plugs, service and possible thermostat change before the engine goes back in.

Then just a case of spinning the car around and doing the same with the back end.

Jay.
Old 21-11-16, 02:01 PM   #34
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Good man ....

Exterior stuff seems to be something you're really keen on. I'd look to get some alcantara seats in there and some chrome rings for the dials and vents (from a 45) would be good additions.

When you put the wheels back on after coating, paint the hubs and calipers?

Put it all back together ...... then sell it on ..... ?
Old 21-11-16, 03:04 PM   #35
Big-Jay

Quote:
Good man ....

Exterior stuff seems to be something you're really keen on. I'd look to get some alcantara seats in there and some chrome rings for the dials and vents (from a 45) would be good additions.

When you put the wheels back on after coating, paint the hubs and calipers?

Put it all back together ...... then sell it on ..... ?
Already have the chrome vents from a 45, £3 for all four from my local breakers yard, bargain. Seat wise I think I'm going to go with a couple of nice bucket seats and some TAKATA harnesses, I'll remove the back seats entirely as they won't be needed and I'll make something to fill the hole they leave. I will keep the seats in storage though in case I ever want to use it for a family day out or something like that. This ZS will be more of a toy if I'm honest, for the shows and maybe even a couple of track days. Goes without saying that the hubs will be painted, calipers are with the powder coaters already, having them green too.

Truth is, I just can't be bothered with the hassle the seats will bring. I had a really clean PBT Black ZR before the XPG ZS and I did a similar thing with that, stripped it all back and painted the under arches, had various panels repainted and put all the nice bits on it, janspeed manis, full exhaust system, lowering springs etc... Spent a fortune on alcantara seats, then had to have the bolsters repaired and part of the alcantara replaced, was a nightmare trying to match the colour of the alcantara !

Looked good in the end though -

Thing is though Dan, I get bored fairly quickly after I've finished the cars, then I end up selling them on and regretting it after, it's a vicious circle lmao !

Saving grace with the ZR though was my uncle bought it from me for my asking price no questions asked. Didn't even get close to what I'd put into it as you never do but he looks after it really well and I know there's always the possibility for me to buy it back if I ever want too.

I think this ZS will be a keeper though, think I've learnt my lesson now, but we'll see I suppose.
Old 21-11-16, 05:27 PM   #36
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
You need to top up the coolant on the ZS.

ZR looks good, didn't know they had a recycle switch, earlier ones used a lever.
Old 21-11-16, 06:04 PM   #37
Big-Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
You need to top up the coolant on the ZS.

ZR looks good, didn't know they had a recycle switch, earlier ones used a lever.
Cheers bud,

Yeh they changed a few buttons and switches around on the MK2, much better layout imo.

Will flush the whole system through and refill with some quality coolant when the engines back in, no point doing it until then as it'll end up all over the floor.
Old 21-11-16, 07:26 PM   #38
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Fair enough .... Don't get the whole buckets and harnesses thing unless the car is for track days only personally - but hey - each to their own.

£3 for the vents - bargain.
Old 21-11-16, 09:23 PM   #39
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
fair play, hats off to you!
Old 21-11-16, 10:18 PM   #40
Big-Jay

Quote:
Fair enough .... Don't get the whole buckets and harnesses thing unless the car is for track days only personally - but hey - each to their own.

£3 for the vents - bargain.
Not for everyone I know, not even sure if they're for me yet. Part of the reason why I'll be keeping the standard seats. Besides, I can always pick up a set of leather seats in the future if I don't like the buckets, bound to be someone with a set somewhere.

Much prefer the full leathers to the alcantara, just my preference though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS Phil View Post
fair play, hats off to you!
Cheers bud.