AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Galleries > Members Cars

Old 20-02-16, 09:11 PM   #31
Big-Jay

Big-Jay has a spectacular aura aboutBig-Jay has a spectacular aura about
Ok guys,

Gave her a good service today. Here's the service items I bought -

So first job was to warm her up a bit and then drain the old oil and remove the filter -

Now when I was doing the timing belts I had to remove the dipstick tube which was heavily corroded in place, in the process I destroyed the plastic clip that sits in the hole the dipstick goes into. I popped down to my local scrappy yesterday and removed a replacement from a ZT KV6 amongst a few other things, this is the clip (don't actually know the correct name for it) -

And fitted in place -

Happy with that it was time to fill her up with some fresh oil. I pre filled the oil filter first and spread a slick of oil on the rubber ring to aid removal on the next oil change -

Then added the oil -

Fuel filter replaced and ready to be refitted -

And Ive also done a coolant change too. She's running really nice now, just the plugs and the other fluids to change, (clutch, brake, power steering) plus the rear timing belts and that should keep her happy for a few thousand miles !

I've also removed the middle section of the exhaust today as there was an horrendous rattle due to the hangers being broken. Here it is -

Problem area -

I'll have a look to see what metal tubing I've got lying around in the garage tomorrow and see if I can weld a new bracket on.

The exhaust shield's seen better days too so I'll look at sourcing a replacement -

Jay.
Big-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-16, 09:13 PM   #32
Big-Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian zs180 View Post
Nice work there pal I do love that zed it just looks awesome
Cheers bud,

Yeh she's a real looker !
Old 21-02-16, 01:15 AM   #33
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
More great progress jay, brilliant seeing the care and attention you giving her. Empty garage here , i have even resorted to putting the works corsavan in it lol (apparently Claire's Astra is scared of spiders& mice, although I suspect that's just her. )
Old 21-02-16, 07:11 AM   #34
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Jay View Post
Happy with that it was time to fill her up with some fresh oil. I pre filled the oil filter first and spread a slick of oil on the rubber ring to aid removal on the next oil change -
I thought that was to help it seal?
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-16, 08:39 PM   #35
Big-Jay

I've been up to the garage today and repaired the exhaust hanger. I found some steel rod amongst our scrap metal pile and cut it roughly to size and bent it into shape. It's a bit thinner then the original rod that was used before but should do the job perfectly -

I ground off what was left of the hold hanger and clamped the new one into place -

Then welded it, cut it down to the correct lengths either side and applied a bit of zinc -

I've refitted the heat shield until I can find a better replacement but It's all back together again now and rattle free I'm happy to say !

Jay.
Old 21-02-16, 08:41 PM   #36
Big-Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxfly View Post
More great progress jay, brilliant seeing the care and attention you giving her. Empty garage here , i have even resorted to putting the works corsavan in it lol (apparently Claire's Astra is scared of spiders& mice, although I suspect that's just her. )
Cheers Gary .

You need something to fill the void the ZS has left but I definitely don't think it's corsa shaped haha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
I thought that was to help it seal?
Applying oil to the rubber gasket does nothing in terms of sealing it no, it allows the rubber gasket to slide easier on the housing without 'grabbing' it which in turn makes it easier to do up and tighten by hand which then allows it to be removed easier in the future.

Jay.
Old 22-02-16, 06:21 PM   #37
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Jay View Post
Applying oil to the rubber gasket does nothing in terms of sealing it no, it allows the rubber gasket to slide easier on the housing without 'grabbing' it which in turn makes it easier to do up and tighten by hand which then allows it to be removed easier in the future.

Jay.
Cheers Jay - you learn something new everyday.
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-16, 07:58 PM   #38
jc600

jc600 is on a distinguished road
Nice Zed, keep up the good work.

WWW.JCTUNING.CO.UK

MK2 MG ZS 180
jc600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-16, 10:14 AM   #39
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Cracking car you have there, what a interesting read, glad to see such good pics and all you have done so far!!

Old 23-02-16, 11:18 AM   #40
hansligg

hansligg is on a distinguished road
looking to get a service done on my 180 sometime this month, but wondering to see what spark plugs you get first and how easy they are to remove old sparks and replace as ive heard its quite a delicate procedure in a 180
hansligg is offline   Reply With Quote