theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 12-11-13, 08:50 PM   #11
Cally180

Cally180 is on a distinguished road
update time:

been busy buying plenty of bits and bobs, and being a Renault there is always something needing fixed.

so since having a blast in October with it round the track, decided to improve handling first and foremost as it went quick enough, just felt I could always get better at cornering. so new ball joint, track rod ends, and as it had a leaking steering rack (common fault) all got replaced.

a few picture as always

sourced 2nd hand for £35 delivered and in good condition, terrible picture...

On Saturday all the above had been fitted, and today arrived these!..

K-tec Coilovers. hopefully get these fitted this weekend and then I can get it tracked and be happy with that. I was going to get GAZ coilovers off ZRED but these came up and a good price so couldnt pass them by otherwise it would have been a set of GAZ's and ZRED was doing one of the better prices.

so to go along with the new suspension setup is a set of 15" alloys complete with marangoni track day tyres

and to finish off with the picture new replaced steering wheel, as the original one was badly worn

cant forget the stainless towing eye aswell haha

also go a Skoda fabia front splitter to fit to the front bumper, and in the pipe line over on clio-sport there is a group buy going for a set of these, this is the prototype on a trial car but it looks good .. I think so anyway

Last edited by Cally180; 12-11-13 at 09:05 PM.
Cally180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-13, 09:29 AM   #12
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Been busy, have to let us know how it feels out on track.

Old 13-11-13, 03:17 PM   #13
tcb 180

tcb 180 will become famous soon enough
Sorry Pete only just saw your request? No one mobile that I know. She did have the aux belt tensioner go and we took it to local independent called French Connection or French Auto Solutions I think. Engine had to be lifted to do this even. They are crap to do work on and electrics are horrendous too. Sorry but zs is a far better car.
tcb 180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-13, 03:58 PM   #14
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Cheers TCB, tend to agree, daughter popped over with self firing windscreen wipers. They would start up on their own and then park in the middle of the screen.

Got the trusty WD40 out and sprayed that around. Turned out she had used a Jet Wash on it, I reckon it got water into the electronics somewhere. I went to a Renault Garage and after much sucking in of cheeks, "has it got a rain sensor", lots of head shaking. That could be expensive he said.

Anyway, used my trusted method, do nothing and let it all dry out. And its sorted itself out.

Think she will have to take it to Renteq, for the belts, least they know what they are doing.

Old 14-11-13, 04:30 PM   #15
Cally180

As a daily runner and everyday type of car.. I'd agree the ZS or even ZR as I've had one of them as well is a better car, better build and so on. And the electrics are a bit mental.. If only the could keep it simple.
Old 12-01-14, 05:21 PM   #16
Cally180

update:

not really been on here for a while, not really been on-line much if anything. I'll start of with saying ''I wish I kept the Zed'' haha

best way to describe this as a uphill battle.. do one thing and another goes wrong, textbook French.

so after buying they coilovers shown a few posts before, it turned out that clio sports have three different suspension set-ups and none are interchangeable with out hubs being changed and so on...

they coilovers where for a standard clio 172/182 my clio is a (Full Fat version) as they call it cup pack suspension fitted... which has uprated larger hubs, uprated cup dampers and a few others, meaning all bolt spaces etc dont line up. the 3rd version is called trophy suspension which is the same as the full fat but with adjustable dampness on the dampers and differnt fittings again on the front.... they 3 are all completely separate from all the 1.2's and other models. madness!

so after deciding what to do for suspension, considering I have uprated dampers already I settled for a set of Eibach springs (recommend to be the better spring available)

no real change on driving feel, but lowers by about 30mm

next hassle was while getting them fitted I decided to get a set of uprated top mounts to go with the springs to stiffing the front right up.

looked the part but even with making spacers up they knocked something awful so got shot of them and went for new standard one.

next issue is the steering wheel!

it has a steering angle position sensor which I can not get to stay off, even with the correct boss fitted to suit the sparco wheel (the sensor fits a gap in the boss and follows the wheel) and results in disabling the traction control putting up the service light and abs... managed to get abs light to stay off but still have the service and traction control on... but it turn the traction control off for the track so happy to leave it at that.

during this process due to taking the wheel on n off constant I shorted the horn out and melted that haha! I'll take the blame for that..

but on a brighter note, it now has had a full suspension refresh and is ready to run on the 26th if the weather is any good, think am going to give it a proper caning to make up for the hassles haha!
Old 27-01-14, 08:27 PM   #17
Cally180

alrite guys

had my 2nd Knockhill day on Sunday there (26th January)

proper awful day weather wise, cleared a little but good fun never the less

think I have converted the guy who bought my yellow ZS so much that he was up with that and also another red 180 saloon. good on him, got a video from a redtop corsa chasing me while I chase and split the two Zed's in the clio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xTUG4ZQyNg

The two MG where going well all day, yellow was going quicker than the red one, but by the end of the day I was talking to him and he said he's lost 2nd gear in the yellow one so chances are its a new box... only thing to go wrong with it after over a years worth of racing by myself and from what he has done, he had took it to crail aswell so plenty of use.

few clips if interested, most are from the car behind a redtop corsa.

this one I lose the back end going on to the back straight before the hairpin, was trying a little to hard chasing the type R,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4ZklTwklyk - come in about the 2min 25sec mark

this one I let him by after a few laps was later in the day, but at the end of the video I think he counts this as one to the corsa haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH_P_xg-8X8

a few pictures from the guy on the side

these are from my camera not great racing but more showing the conditions

warming up laps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt5Pw...ature=youtu.be

will upload more but taking ages..
Old 28-01-14, 10:32 AM   #18
peterzs
promoted bloke!

Smile

Some good vids, awful conditions, braver than me!!!

Have to get your high vis brake light working!

Good to see the Yellow ZS still going strong.

Cheers for posting up.

Old 10-02-14, 05:23 PM   #19
Cally180

little update:

today I was fitting my new go faster parts . Had a issue when on the track where it went into safe mode, and long story short it turns out to be the throttle body sensor.

its a built in unit so new throttle body was needed. could have went standard but found a guy down Sussex, and after talking to him and checking out his work (has a clio project himself) decided to get a machined and enlarged one from 60mm to 65mm along with a machined and enlarged lower inlet manifold.

the claim is an extra 10bhp +17ftlb

and all for under £200

a few New Vs old picture

just awaiting a new inlet gasket as shown..

looking foward to see how it runs now.

on a off note, been considering turning this 100% track and getting a run around to go shopping etc, and been considering a return to the ZS.... since they are going for buttons, if anything getting cheaper
Old 10-02-14, 05:40 PM   #20
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
That's ok for 200 notes.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote