theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 23-03-11, 02:03 PM   #141
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
right so guess what.....

I bought annew pierburg replacement maf for my car, tuned in my scnagauge to read the signal it generates and test the old and the new in neutral at a few various rev points....

the old Maf was better below 2000 rpm than the new one, but from 2000 onwards the new one is giving a much better reading... I am not sure the units but it is *7* bigger with the new maf....

Down side is that flat spot makes the car even worse until about 1800 where it suddenly takes off.....

Ah so me thinks brainwave, i'll plug my old mafam back in.... and now i have no maf signal - so my 2nd mafam has died. I am going to try to get it repaired tho so this should go away...

there was a misterious small puddle under the car the other day too.. and it seems to be old coolant\diesel as matt lost quite a bit when he changed the pump over and didn't clean it all up... hoping now i have moved the car to a new spot it doesn't re-appear!

realy is a minor update really :lol:
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-11, 03:07 PM   #142
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Your car certainly keeps you guessing, the MAF does affect the performance, more than I would have thought.

Have to get your old pump reconditioned and put in a bank vault, until required.
Old 16-04-11, 03:28 PM   #143
zsserbia

zsserbia will become famous soon enough
Best of luck with your derv m8, never seen such determination... I salute you. If I may say, I always thought in tuning dervs most important things are not peak horses and torque, but to fine tune it to smooth the delivery of power and make torque curve as long as possible, whilst improving throttle response. Sorry to disappoint you but Vp 30 pumps are rated only 25 kw per cylinder and any forcing to pump more above this figure will have devastating effect to it's reliability... Pushing it's timing to soon may lead to hgf and rev it to hard you will overheat it and it will lead to "Transit" effect until it dies. 180+ hp is more likely to get out of common rail bmw's...
zsserbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-11, 11:30 AM   #144
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
been a while as ever and mainly due to everything behaving as it should.. more delays on my test mule helping out, but hopefully end of this month we should have the figures...

Coolant leak did re-appear, but thankfully it was down to a hose clip that was loose - and one tht was easy(ish) to get to to a lanky git like me....

Still not sorted my MAFAM out... really should take it off the car and bag it/send it to roverron for testing/repairing.

not sure when the testing is done the car will actually be worked on ,as i am less than month from moving house and money will be tight for a bit afterwards..

I know we have touched on this in the other thread zsserbia; but there is no advance on my fuel map, it was never implemented to everything is how it was when came out the factory.

An extra volt or too to make the pump spin a touch quicker, and the rest is down to injectors and mapping... i have never had cavitation or anything like that so fuel supply is still fine.

Tractor syndrome is usually the timing solenoid failing not the pump internals themselves.. and i have just had that happen to my old pump. A 'common' failure for the vp37 in the MGR cars whether tuned or not

Veg oil is worse to the pumps than tuning - based on the threads on .org as my evidence
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 02-06-11, 09:04 PM   #145
p_b82
Site Supporter

hmm another month has passed and life for me has been pretty dammed busy.,......

Steve popped down to correct the paint on my car, then a few pics were taken showing off the shine the following day....

moved house a week ago and finally have a drive and a garage to play around with the derv myself

In terms of bring it back on topic to the thread, nothing to update really lol...

however a helper and Matt should have got together last week to do the testing for the EMP readings, however due to a miscomminication it was abandoned as niether have the boost guage they needed - it was still plumbed into my car. real D'OH moment that one!

however that got taken off today - first bit of free time - and so testing should happen soon as Matt should have it early next week....

then maybe a better update in the next weeks to follow.... *fingers crossed*
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 03-06-11, 09:36 AM   #146
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Glad the house move went off OK, will make all the difference having a garage.

All the best, with the sorting boost project.

Steve does do a great job, makes it a lot easier to keep the standard up as well.

Old 23-08-11, 01:50 PM   #147
p_b82
Site Supporter

well it has been an age since i last posted anything - and that is cos nothing much has happened

scheduling conflicts has resulted in no testing, and Matt doesn't want to build something up that is not required.... so bit frustrating, but there we go.

One thing that has happened, is that the car is up with Matt for it's MOT - booked in for Friday after being 2 weeks late (my bad!)... but i really hope other than the new tyres it needs up front it is going to play nicely.....

and that is because i have just about sucessfuly manged to get rid of the GF's 206 by buying a new shape 1.4 fester on Monday, on a 58 plate with only 8k miles on the clock. did not get a bargain, but feel that i have walked away with not too bad a deal though. (6 months tax, 36month full ford warrenty & the alloys refurbed; and a few other bits here and there). will probably pick it up on Friday or early next week...

It aint no ZS - but it is certainly better than 206
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 26-08-11, 04:26 PM   #148
p_b82
Site Supporter

Well the ZS failed the MOT today

but the good news is that it was for a completely expected reason... the tyres were some-what marginal when i dropped it off and thought it would not get through - some have been ordered anyway.

turns out the inside tyre walls of the T1Rs had completely collapsed not the tread being being the cause fo failure!

These have been the only time i have run them and i have to say i really have not liked them at all; i wont ever be fitting them again... got me 2 top spec pirelli's to go instead (at a very good price )

Oh and when i changed the bulbs i did not get the retaining clip in properly so the beam pattern was a bit off
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 26-08-11, 05:36 PM   #149
peterzs
promoted bloke!

Smile

Well done, for when the tyres etc. sorted, another year of fun, always good when they get through.

Old 07-09-11, 11:38 AM   #150
p_b82
Site Supporter

well a quick note...

the EMP testing will be going ahead bar unforseen circumstances tomorrow evening - this will be OE injectors and then SDI's on an OE turbo.

if i ask nicely i might be able to get the same thing post remap - tho i know of more people we can ask should we want those figures.

Now as with all my car posts the bad news.

rust around the winscreen has caused a stress fracture - my insurance should cover it, but it needs to have autoglass inspect the screen, remove it, let matt sort it out at a bodyshop and then autoglass will come and refit it.

may as well get the other spray work done on that front bumper - and posibly sort out the stone chips on the bonnet while it is there....

looks like the little 25 will be with me a bit longer!
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports