theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 09-03-18, 07:34 AM   #31
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Be a shame to keep it in the garage - enjoy it !
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-18, 08:27 AM   #32
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
No that's fair enough - I personally feel the same about most of the German cars...

I'd not have a Fester ST now because they are just too common....

The V8 conversion was always something I really wondered about - must have been some-one's pet project they got pushed through..... They could easily have got a "better" V8 of the era...

Bung on a blower and you'd probably get a better power/weight ratio than I have
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-18, 10:49 AM   #33
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Interesting article on pistonheads written because of the (then) new supercharged Jag estate -

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-...-you-can/29523
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-18, 04:35 PM   #34
Street Elite

Street Elite is on a distinguished road
Not that I have any money! But when I looked at prices of the zt v8, I'd have a hard time choosing that or an rs6.

Drew
Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-18, 05:49 PM   #35
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillen View Post
Ha! Supercharged one would be amazing!
I had looked at an st3 focus estate and something German but couldn’t make my mind up but I don’t have to yet.

Mine has come to a bit of a standstill with the weather and me an naomi buying a house.
I got most of the stuff stripped off and got to getting the cams off and managed to snap the inlet cams end piper has said they’ll do me a one off though but I’m unsure as to the price.

The block has a massive hole where cylinder one has gone on holiday.
I need to find a good engine, but it can wait till the new house has gone through.
But if you know of any racers with half decent spares I’d be interested.
I’m imagining I’ll be replacing a lot of stuff on the engine too

All I really need to do is get the engine lifted out.

Going to have a garage and a driveway I can get a couple of cars on so that’s where a workhorse estate came into thought and he ZS will be purely a toy which has been a long time coming.

Probably won’t get to POL this year either.
Congrats on the house move, have you got a date to move in? We've just bought a place too just north of Preston. I liked the workshop and Nadia liked the house so it was a win win!
Shame about the ZS. I don't know of any v6 engines for sale but will keep an eye out. Might be worth asking Jason or Howard Hunt if they know of anything? I've got a t series set up which I'm trying to flog? Was going to throw it in the diesel ZS but just fitted another l series instead. If you want to borrow an engine crane let me know.
Shame about POL too. If you wanted to go could always hitch a lift. Not sure which I'll be taking this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
Be a shame to keep it in the garage - enjoy it !
I hope to enjoy it when the weather gets better. It's not daily material haha I'd get sick of the fuel bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
Interesting article on pistonheads written because of the (then) new supercharged Jag estate -

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-...-you-can/29523
Cool write up. I don't know how much of this "future classic" hype is just hype. Time will tell I guess and more fun than money in the bank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Elite View Post
Not that I have any money! But when I looked at prices of the zt v8, I'd have a hard time choosing that or an rs6.

Drew
Only trouble with an RS6 is you have to be an Audi driver. I'm more pipe and slippers than Bluetooth tusk and ray bans. I appreciate most people would love to call themselves an Audi driver however.
I agree though, for the money there are plenty of options out there. I can't quantify or rationalise the ZT, it's just one of those things you buy because you want one.
Old 09-03-18, 05:59 PM   #36
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_b82 View Post
No that's fair enough - I personally feel the same about most of the German cars...

I'd not have a Fester ST now because they are just too common....

The V8 conversion was always something I really wondered about - must have been some-one's pet project they got pushed through..... They could easily have got a "better" V8 of the era...

Bung on a blower and you'd probably get a better power/weight ratio than I have
It's cool that you've found a modern car which you really like in the mustang, there is just something about the sound of a v8. When (if) they start to depreciate I'll no doubt be drawn to then as a potential second hand buy in a few years.
German cars as a rule are awesome, I can't deny that. They are just too clinical for me and I can't be dealing with the "young professional" cliche of owning one. I'd rather rock up to work in my daily 45. I appreciate I'm not normal however and secretly I like fixing it when it breaks .
Old 10-03-18, 01:28 AM   #37
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS Phil View Post
Congrats on the house move, have you got a date to move in? We've just bought a place too just north of Preston. I liked the workshop and Nadia liked the house so it was a win win!
Shame about the ZS. I don't know of any v6 engines for sale but will keep an eye out. Might be worth asking Jason or Howard Hunt if they know of anything? I've got a t series set up which I'm trying to flog? Was going to throw it in the diesel ZS but just fitted another l series instead. If you want to borrow an engine crane let me know.
Shame about POL too. If you wanted to go could always hitch a lift. Not sure which I'll be taking this year.
Thanks mate!
It’s in the “searches” phase at the minute but seems to be going alright with three in the chain.
I have a feeling it won’t be till may though tbh (right when I have a lot on as I’m due to have an ablation for the old ticker (AF) and my cousin stag)

Congrats to you and Nadia too!
Nice to have both of you agreeing on the house, me and Naomi were similar in that we both came away feeling like we each could see the other person living in the house as well as ourselves. Fingers crossed it all moves smoothly and that yours hasn’t been a headache either.

I did think about the t-series as well as roughly price up a Honda swap and it all came back far more expensive than just replacing the damned thing. I didn’t have a problem with the V6 so I felt I should keep it.

My big plan is to build something anyway and a simple engine swap to get it back on the road as it was and then build something up in the new garage will be the plan.
I will need a crane soon. Gonna take the engine and box out in one go hopefully to get it over with quickly but thought about just renting one I’ll see how it all pans out.

Any of yours would be good to get a lift in I remember the diesel from when you bought the track car and the 45 is comfortable lol. The V8 though
But I am actually due up to see the family and lads that weekend now because I honestly didn’t even check the dates this year as I saw it as a write off.
There will always be next time though 👍🏻
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-18, 07:26 AM   #38
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Some interesting points of view put across here, great reading!

Would love a ZTT 260, if only an auto! I know

I do like the RS6, however I do prefer the C5 model, classic looks and wide body. The later models have the Lamborghini V10, I prefer the V8 rumble. My S6 is not what I call a good buy, having a few issues. Hopefully get them sorted in time but may probably sell later in the year. The devil inside says keep it, got stupid ideas on shoe-horsing all of that into the zed! Love the idea of a V8 Quattro ZS
Old 10-03-18, 07:37 AM   #39
Street Elite

Street Elite is on a distinguished road
I've got a crane if your near Stevenage.

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to but v8 zs is a good thing to aim for.

Drew
Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-18, 10:37 AM   #40
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
Some interesting points of view put across here, great reading!

Would love a ZTT 260, if only an auto! I know

I do like the RS6, however I do prefer the C5 model, classic looks and wide body. The later models have the Lamborghini V10, I prefer the V8 rumble. My S6 is not what I call a good buy, having a few issues. Hopefully get them sorted in time but may probably sell later in the year. The devil inside says keep it, got stupid ideas on shoe-horsing all of that into the zed! Love the idea of a V8 Quattro ZS

My only concern with throwing a V8 into a Zs would what would it do to the handling...

I know that the KV6 and L-series are not as nimble as the 1.8's; so throwing an even bigger V8 might be a compromise too great... would sound awesome without as much soundproofing/refinement in the ZS though

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS Phil View Post
It's cool that you've found a modern car which you really like in the mustang, there is just something about the sound of a v8. When (if) they start to depreciate I'll no doubt be drawn to then as a potential second hand buy in a few years.
German cars as a rule are awesome, I can't deny that. They are just too clinical for me and I can't be dealing with the "young professional" cliche of owning one. I'd rather rock up to work in my daily 45. I appreciate I'm not normal however and secretly I like fixing it when it breaks .
Tbh I'd they sold the challenger over here in RHD I'd sell the mustang and get that instead; just prefer that real muscle-car look; and it is a "better" car than the S550 all told...

That said, I'm in no rush to get rid of the 'stang - apart from cold days when I'm worried about falling off the road at 20mph (changing the tyres soon should help there though + spring being closer helps matters (when not snowing )), it puts a grin on my face each and every time I get in our out of it.... Like the ZS I often look back at it parked up and smile....

With the ZS it is more relief that I've not broken down again - but also due to knowing the history and I'm still glad/proud that I've not given up and got rid of the dammed thing
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote