theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 28-06-16, 07:08 AM   #11
Lukeus101

Lukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to all
A ZS track car has always been a dream for me, I hope when funds allow it will become a reality. I would keep the KV6

ZS Appreciation Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/475756782447499/

> ZR 105 (Broken) > MK2 ZS 180 (Sold) > MK1 ZS 180 (Sold) > ZR Replica (Dead) > MK1 ZS 180 (Broken)
Lukeus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-16, 08:37 AM   #12
Aradon

Aradon is on a distinguished road
Awesome gents, thanks for all the input so far, I really appreciate it.
As I'm probably going to be asking many questions relating to this, does anyone know if there is a good source for guidance? I don't want to be pestering you lot all the time haha
If there are documents etc available, I'm happy to do the reading etc

Oh engine wise, you think I should stick with the ZS KV6 or use a ZT version? Old engine HAS to come out anyways (hydro locked) and I assume it wouldn't be worth trying to save it?
Aradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-16, 02:05 PM   #13
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Unless told otherwise stick with the ZS unit, ZT I believe is not a straight drop in but easily done with swapping parts. Not 100% sure what the differences are when it comes to the spec but believe it runs a different exhaust cam and ecu as the breathing is so different between the two cars. I'm sure someone will step in and give us the facts as my memory is fading!

Post your questions and we'll help where we can, it's no problem.
Old 28-06-16, 02:12 PM   #14
grimmy
its ginger its phenomenal

grimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud of
When smokey used to have the track car it was pretty much standard apart from interior removed and buckets with harnesses installed and it was a hoot to play with .
Old 28-06-16, 02:59 PM   #15
Lukeus101

Lukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to all
Might be worth you looking at Phils thread

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthre...ight=track+car

Or Pauls for Inspiration

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthre...hlight=reyland

ZS Appreciation Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/475756782447499/

> ZR 105 (Broken) > MK2 ZS 180 (Sold) > MK1 ZS 180 (Sold) > ZR Replica (Dead) > MK1 ZS 180 (Broken)
Lukeus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-16, 04:17 PM   #16
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradon View Post
Awesome gents, thanks for all the input so far, I really appreciate it.
As I'm probably going to be asking many questions relating to this, does anyone know if there is a good source for guidance? I don't want to be pestering you lot all the time haha
If there are documents etc available, I'm happy to do the reading etc

Oh engine wise, you think I should stick with the ZS KV6 or use a ZT version? Old engine HAS to come out anyways (hydro locked) and I assume it wouldn't be worth trying to save it?
I don't think I've ever seen a documented build for a v6 start to finish.

The guys who race them can be useful, pete at vulcan racing is a lovely guy, very helpful as are others.
I mention the race cars because they are restricted in what they are allowed to do, meaning you don't need barrel loads of dollar to build an epic car.
You will find that the ZS race cars have all been developed in very different ways, with each person putting emphasis on what they believed to be important at the time, not everything works and things are often re-developed.

Personally, I think its all in the chassis.
Find a nice scrap yard motor, if your having cams reground into 270 profiles there's not much point in choosing the 190 motor over the 180. Do a leak down test on any used motor before buying it.
the cheapest way to make it accelerate is by gearing it right, quaife cogs are availble but I'd just build a hybrid box from a zr160vvc and kv6 bellhousing, you can still win races by a country mile with a box built from scrap.
Keep the motor simple, cams and a remap.
The intake and exhaust headers are dire, the janspeed make a marginal improvement but is not cheap.

I wouldn't waste money on hp figures.
Spend it on the chassis and tyres.
Use only quality, or better custom componants, cheap ebay tat is known to fail.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-16, 10:03 PM   #17
Aradon

Aradon is on a distinguished road
Yeah see this is where I'm going to come unstuck.
I'm a total noob really and the amount of different approaches I can take will likely lead to an abomination being born haha
Aradon is offline   Reply With Quote