theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 06-12-15, 12:09 PM   #101
JOHNDQ

JOHNDQ is on a distinguished road
How did you get on with the EBC's? I tried yellows on track RS2000 and the ZR before I put the brake kit on and in both cars I thought they were worse than standard tbh so I never tried the blues just run DS3000's now but they are due a change for 2016
JOHNDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-15, 03:24 PM   #102
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
I liked the yellowstuff for road use, defiantly sharper than O/E spec.
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-15, 04:15 PM   #103
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
blue are good but need changing at 50% wear
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-15, 08:27 PM   #104
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
the silver car ran blue then pbs, after 3 hours of racing and a few track days the pbs are still there and working!

you get one or the other (bump or rebound) with gaz, it is a comprimise and they are called dampers in the loosest possible sense.
But they can still be made to work and the car can still be fast, the silver 1800 is evidence of that.
Lots of trial and error to be done then with the dampers. Can't wait to get out in it again. It's been too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNDQ View Post
How did you get on with the EBC's? I tried yellows on track RS2000 and the ZR before I put the brake kit on and in both cars I thought they were worse than standard tbh so I never tried the blues just run DS3000's now but they are due a change for 2016
I thought the yellows were ok. Didn't last very long but other than that they were fine. I was doing no more than about 20 mins at a time on them though. I'll see how I get on with the blues and depending on how long they last might try the PBS ones.
Old 11-12-15, 02:55 PM   #105
pervavore

pervavore is on a distinguished road
Damn I shall be doomed once again your build thread with the Track ZS is awesome Phil So much love put into details I like it and may come handy maybe with my ZR VVC track car

For the old bushing is really a hydraulic press in handy Burning them out is also an option

Few questions where did you get the braided hoses ?
Is on the V6 a crankcase valve or something similar ? May you got some pics of it need this detail for my derv project

The backbox is a straight through box from Janspeed? Never looked inside to be honest when got one in my hands :/
pervavore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-15, 11:16 PM   #106
ZS Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pervavore View Post
Damn I shall be doomed once again your build thread with the Track ZS is awesome Phil So much love put into details I like it and may come handy maybe with my ZR VVC track car

For the old bushing is really a hydraulic press in handy Burning them out is also an option

Few questions where did you get the braided hoses ?
Is on the V6 a crankcase valve or something similar ? May you got some pics of it need this detail for my derv project

The backbox is a straight through box from Janspeed? Never looked inside to be honest when got one in my hands :/
Thanks a long way to go with it yet but it's all good fun.

Yes, a press would have been better for the bushes and certainly less smelly! Some nasty fumes came off them.

To answer the questions:
-The braided hoses are from eBay but you can deal with Wezmoto direct I imagine.
-Not really sure what you mean with the crankcase valve? do you mean the breather system?
-I don't know if the back box is straight through. It's quite light and quite "raspy" in sound after the decat and straight through center section so I wouldn't be surprised. No good for the derv though, only 2 1/4" diameter.
Old 18-12-15, 12:51 PM   #107
pervavore

pervavore is on a distinguished road
Ahh ok I will try to find maybe over here a supplier for braided hose.

Sure I mean how does the breather system work on the KV6 there should be a PCV somewhere.
pervavore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-16, 08:53 AM   #108
ZS Phil

Before I post another update, I should finish off the previous update for the previous lot of changes.

I finished changing the pads, lines and coilovers on the other side too and thought I'd try some brake fluid marketed as "racing quality". DOT 4 still but wet and dry boiling points are still higher than the minimum requirement for DOT 5.

Also, I wasn't happy with the doors which looked like this, note the rods as handles and tatty wiring:

So I set at it with my new light weight door handle kit which I've been co-developing with McLaren:

Note the tidied loom, central locking and electric mirrors still connected, just thinned out all the electric window and speaker wires.

Acquired some lightly used slicks and got them mounted on another set of straights:

Decided I'd do another day at Blyton so gave it a quick clean and wax... not sure waxing a track car is the "done thing" but its my pride and joy so who cares. Note trial fit of slicks too

Had another day at Blyton, took it on a trailer for the first time, much better for the back, the new spring rates are a bit extreme for road use really.

Early start

Don't think I've shared any pics of the rep mobile yet but here it is in all of its German blandness:

Put the slicks on at lunch time and managed to get about 6 laps before it started raining. Here I am waiting to get on track with slicks for the first time watching a grey cloud come over.
As soon as the rain started I was straight in. Managed to get them warm and really go for it the last couple of laps. Pleased is an understatement, they performed incredibly.

The brakes, suspension and tyres all performed really well. Difficult to compare progress I know but going by the types of machinery I'm playing with now, I think were going in the right direction.

*NEXT ROUND OF CHANGES- ENGINE/ EXHAUST*

The belts were just coming up to be changed and "top-man-eldo" was breaking his 180 which had piper 270 cams only a couple of thousand miles old. Timing was right so purchased the cams and the various other supplies to do the cams and belts together.

Props to the club for the loan of the timing tools:

Got as many new genuine parts as I could, all belts, tensioners, pulley bolts, cam seals, gaskets etc are genuine, the water pump is a continental one with metal impeller and pulley. Its amazing how the cost of all the little seals required adds up, something which I didn't really factor in.

An interesting comparison, piper 270 cams vs stock.

Inlet:

Exhaust:

Strip down...

Last edited by ZS Phil; 19-03-16 at 09:59 AM.
ZS Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-16, 09:47 AM   #109
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Looking good. Some tracks don't allow slicks for track days. Part of the fun of doing this is seeing what the little changes make.
Old 19-03-16, 09:59 AM   #110
ZS Phil

*Continuation of above*

Unfortunately when removing the dip stick tube this happened because it was rusted solid:

Of course a tiny piece of plastic fell into the sump which meant taking the sump off...

To get the sump off the standard manifolds had to come off which was perfect because I had a set of janspeed manifolds waiting to go on anyway which I've had for a few months:

Some comparisons, no words required:

Stock-

Janspeed- Still crude but far better

Comparison of port size-

Going back together-

Since the old one was destroyed

Tools

Manis and sump back on, also changed the decat pipe for a Janspeed one- just a bit neater.

I also changed the power steering pump for a non-noisy one (no pics)

Since the car will probably running lean on the standard map, I originally planned to get the car mapped but as luck would have it, "top-man-eldos" car was exactly the same spec as mine to every last engine/ exhaust mod. We therefore came to a deal on his ECU set which has been rolling roaded at 211bhp

So, it's all back together again with fresh oil and fluids and fired up straight away. I was toying with doing a track day today at Anglesey but I left it too late to get a trailer sorted so would have to have driven there which I don't really fancy.
Instead, I've taxed and insured it for a year last night so I can now easily take it to a few local places for some jobs I want doing. For example its booked in at a local rolling road later today just to make sure its running as it should- will be interesting to compare to the original dyno graph (going back to the same place in the interests of a fair test).

Will update later with numbers but it feels and sounds incredible

Last edited by ZS Phil; 19-03-16 at 10:05 AM.
ZS Phil is offline   Reply With Quote