theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 27-08-13, 05:35 PM   #1
Cruizer

Cruizer is on a distinguished road
Ever regretted buying your ZS?

As much as I love my ZS to pieces, its probably the worst decision I've made in my life!

One thing after another goes wrong.

After having the problem with the big end bearings going on the forged lump, and not having enough to fix it, yet still needing a car, I opted for a standard lump.

Bolted everything in, charger back on, off it went. Ran perfectly.

Went to Ace Cafe yesterday, and on the way home it started misfiring. Then looking at the air/fuel ratio gauge, it kept running very rich.

Then I noticed the smoke from the exhaust. Lovely blue colour, and there's plenty of it!

I've literally ran out of effort now, so haven't looked what's up with it yet. I know there could be problems running a charger on a standard lump, but I thought it'd do more than 600 miles!

If its internal on the engine, then I've still got almost two weeks warranty left on the engine.

All suggestions welcome. Burn it being the top suggestion upto now haha!

Thanks
Nath
Cruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-13, 05:58 PM   #2
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Stick with it pal, I always admired the effort and the final product of the 200 when you had that and feel that the time and effort you've put in so far has been amazing, fully fixed and resprayed then a full engine swap.
I say let it sit, buy a £200 banger.
Fix the forged engine over a few months.
Do the research slowly in your own time to get it running spot on, properly mapped with proper timing and bigger injectors instead of a seventh.

It's a good car, just a lot of stuff hasn't gone its way lately.
Always sucks though.
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-13, 06:20 PM   #3
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Agree with Skillen, car does look good.

Trouble is you dont know how much wear was on the std. engine, might have gone on for miles, but the shock of the supercharger might have upset it.

Would it be worth swapping the engine under warranty, but keeping it o/e. Then do the forged engine when you can??
Old 27-08-13, 06:24 PM   #4
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
In answer to your specific question - No.

However mine have all been standard and I've yet to be challenged with issues that you have - so I understand the sentiment.

Get a banger's a good call and put the zed on the back-burner for a while. Guy on .org's selling a monogram 120 for pennies and if you've got some more, another guy's got a very nice clio sport for £1500.

Saying that - got a good engine if you want one .....
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-13, 09:09 PM   #5
Smokey
The Alan Gow of OBTCC

Smokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to behold
Never had any regrets. Yes they go wrong, sometimes at the worst possible moment in life, but cars do that...regardless of make!

2009 Forza 2 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC 2nd Place Runner-up
2009/2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Clio Cup 4th Place
2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/F500 Cup 2nd Place Runner-up
2011 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 3rd Place
2012 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 1st Place Winner
2012/2013 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/DTM Championship 3rd Place
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-13, 10:05 PM   #6
andys1981

andys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the rough
weve all had problems with our zeds mate,yours was pretty tuned,so its not worked out,maybe previous owner has knew something else,its a shame really mate,if i was you i buy dans engine and fit it,you will still have a great looking car,me personally wouldent sell it,its lovely,a know you will be gutted,but i would want to see it back on the road,but thats just me,sure dan would help,even if your struggling for pennies mate,hope you get it back on the road,this is my 4th mg,3 rd zs,1 zr,best of luck nathan
andys1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-13, 10:10 PM   #7
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillen View Post
properly mapped with proper timing and bigger injectors instead of a seventh.
Is it really on the (known to be trouble) 7th injector rather than aftermarket ecu?
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-13, 10:17 PM   #8
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Is it really on the (known to be trouble) 7th injector rather than aftermarket ecu?
Dunno, lol, it's just what I've picked up from reading about the forums that the 7th is problematic, I im no expert at all ha.
Dunno if it's still piggybacked or a standalone ECU surely that could coause problems too?
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-13, 07:20 AM   #9
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
I'm pretty sure the owner said it was using the 7th injector and ecu as supplied by Sprintex.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-13, 08:26 AM   #10
ZRed

ZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the rough
My advice, fix it right first time mate. I appreciate this is a learning curve for you but learning curves are expensive and frustrating.

If you put it on the back burner for a while, buy something ****. If you buy something decent, you'll lose interest quickly. Been there

Best of luck.