theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 28-08-13, 08:34 AM   #11
carmadbaker

carmadbaker has a spectacular aura aboutcarmadbaker has a spectacular aura about
Yup severly regret starting my turbo zed, constant drain on money and time! I could of bought a decent Exige by now!!
however... i still bloody love the old girl! Take your time rebuilding the forged lump, get a megasquirt/omex/emerald/dta on there, some larger injectors and mapped properly... the difference in power and reliability will be well worth the money and time...... probably (i'll let you know )

-MK1 MG ZS T16 Turbo 2.1
-Lotus Elise S2 111

You Can't Spell Dangerous Without "Dan"
carmadbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-13, 09:01 AM   #12
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Supercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really nice
take the oil filler cap of when its running, if its blowing then you probably done a piston. My failures were all day to day driving and not at silly high revs.

I would be surprised if the engine place would warrant a engine given you bolted a supercharger on it lol.

when you want to sell the car. my Money is here
Supercharged_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-13, 09:07 AM   #13
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
I've never regretted buy the ZS - but I have on a number of occasions regretted some of the choices I have made with it over the years. (the worst being the hybrid turbo due to all the then follow-on problems)

I'd echo the advice from the people above.

I'd get a refund on the engine supplied if you can, or take the charger straight off and see if it runs any happier.

Build the engine you plan\want to that has been uprated while it is out and take your time over it rather than rush to get it done.

If your engine that was supplied is no good either find another one cheap, or get a banger with an MOT and run it for 6-12months while the ZS is sorted.

There is nothing like driving a PoS for a while to bring back the appreciation for a ZS!
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-13, 02:36 PM   #14
Cruizer

Cruizer is on a distinguished road
I've done a compression test on my dinner break at work.

Compression test results (psi)

1 - 80
2 - 185
3 - 95
4 - 190
5 - 160
6 - 190

The place I bought the engine aren't aware of any supercharger. So hopefully I can get some form of refund.

It's been running brilliantly. Then on the way back from London, just went tits up.
Cruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-13, 04:39 PM   #15
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Supercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really nice
I would of put my pennys on it being 1 and 3 that's what always used to fail before she will be breathing. No doubt that's cracked ringlands. you may want to get your map checked out to make sure its all normal
Old 28-08-13, 04:51 PM   #16
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
All down on the front bank.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-13, 05:11 PM   #17
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by petet16 View Post
All down on the front bank.
front left and middle. Every single failure has been on them two pistons. I believe its 7th injector related as the fuel cannot be evenly distributed as the injector fires before the charger then the fuel going through the charger and down the inlets.
Old 28-08-13, 05:59 PM   #18
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
I'd be looking at 6 uprated injectors and standalone management tbh, it may seem a big outlay of money but it's got to be cheaper than keeping on popping engines.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-13, 06:35 PM   #19
Din

Din has a spectacular aura aboutDin has a spectacular aura about
Yes... After I found the amount of bloody rust on it... Hayho, I will have it fixed and get a couple of years out of it.
Din is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-13, 06:36 PM   #20
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by petet16 View Post
I'd be looking at 6 uprated injectors and standalone management tbh, it may seem a big outlay of money but it's got to be cheaper than keeping on popping engines.
its the only way but its so costly