AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 23-02-13, 05:45 PM   #1
s1nn0n

s1nn0n is on a distinguished road
ZS 180 High Idle Revs and running rough

Hi,
I had a knocking noise coming from the inlet manifold, so I removed the manifold and stripped out the butterfly valves in the manifold, resealed the manifold and refitted. I am pretty sure the manifold is air tight. Now I have a problem in which I didn't have before(but the knocking noise has now gone ), the car will idle at about 2krpm, and drives quite rough, the car still seems to pull and rev when you don't have your foot on the accelerator. I have made sure that the throttle cable is routed correctly.

One thing I have done, is remove the valve(flap) out from the top left of the manifold where the other VIS motor is situated. Could this cause the problem? What exactly does this thing do? Do the cars normally run ok with the VIS valves disconnected?

Thanks.
s1nn0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-13, 04:27 PM   #2
s1nn0n

s1nn0n is on a distinguished road
Anyone any ideas please? The revs will increase even further when the car is moving when the clutch isn't engaged or not in gear! This didn't happen at all before the inlet mod, so it has to be something related.
s1nn0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-13, 04:40 PM   #3
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
You need to speak to "Kitch". He's done the same thing and has the same issues on tickover I think.

As far as I know, he's the only guy running the KV6 without the valves, which accounts for the lack of responses I imagine mate ....
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-13, 04:45 PM   #4
thered180

thered180 is on a distinguished road
My vis valves are currently unplugged, and i have no running issues at all. However I have not modified my manifold in any way.
thered180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-13, 04:46 PM   #5
grimmy
its ginger its phenomenal

grimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud of
Sounds to me like there is air being drawn in through the manifold.I would check that for leaks
Old 24-02-13, 04:49 PM   #6
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmy View Post
Sounds to me like there is air being drawn in through the manifold.I would check that for leaks
I'd go with this as well, the high idle has all the symptoms of an air leak.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-13, 04:56 PM   #7
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Seen a few posts on .org that mention using butane around the edges to check for leaks.
Dunno if this is sound advice but I guess it would work.
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-13, 06:37 PM   #8
redzed

redzed has a spectacular aura aboutredzed has a spectacular aura about
Pretty sure this happened to kitch and he did something with blue tak on the idle valve I think, might have completely wrong end of the stick tho
Old 24-02-13, 06:43 PM   #9
Nor

Nor is a jewel in the roughNor is a jewel in the roughNor is a jewel in the rough
When you put the VIS motors back in, did they definitely have the rubber gaskets on?

One other time I had this, it was a faulty potentiometer (iirc).
Old 24-02-13, 06:48 PM   #10
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by redzed View Post
Pretty sure this happened to kitch and he did something with blue tak on the idle valve I think, might have completely wrong end of the stick tho
There was something in there .....
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote