theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 05-03-10, 04:36 PM   #21
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Sounds like it is finally coming together, probably one of those cars we find hard to understand until we see it in the flesh and go. Impressive spec, looking forward to the end result when Matt has done his stuff.
Old 05-03-10, 04:48 PM   #22
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
yeah, last thing really to consider is the induction - thinking of putting the battery in the boot and going for something enclosed where it used to be.

I dont use my MAF sensor so dont need to worry about the OE feed to the turbo anymore.

I was wondering quite how gutless the car was going to be switching back to these injectors, but what it lacks in outright performance it seems to be making up for in responsiveness....

i can't wait to see some dyno plots for it tho
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 05:00 PM   #23
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
A derv with no smoke! No excuse for a dirty rear bumper now!! lol Good to hear you are finally having some luck with it, will keep my fingers crossed for you on the 19th!

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 07:24 PM   #24
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
hehe yeah i really need to get it cleaned up, esp as in a month or so there will be good reason for it to be properly clean again.

Just have to decide whether i can get it clean enough myself or whether i need to get some-one else to do it again

I did find it really odd being able to stamp on the throttle after so long gently increasing it for so long - and still not leave a smoke trail
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 07-03-10, 08:09 PM   #25
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

I must admit, you keep half an eye on the mirror to see whats happening behind.

Then thiknk s** it and put the foot down a bit more.

Old 07-03-10, 10:32 PM   #26
Huffy

Huffy is on a distinguished road
I like the smoke.... its like sticking two fingers up at the person behind you!

MONTY

MK2 ZS160d+ SDi A Kind of Magic, Puff of smoke and I'm gone!

Engine - SDI, Kestrel Kevlar Clutch & Lightened Fly wheel, AAS De-Cat, Rover Ron MAf,
Cotton Green K4.80 Air filter, Roose Motorsport Turbo Pipes. Custom Stainless Turbo Outlet, AAS Full Stainless custom Exhaust!

Toyo Proxie t1R's, Front and Rear ZS 180 Brakes, Drilled & Grooved Disks, Mintex Pads. Moto-Build Springs

ICE - Sony BTX3600u Head, Bluetooth ODBII, Android Torque App. Forza USB!

30psi Boost Gague

MGZS TsDi :Smoke if you've got one!!!

157bhp / 242 ft/lb
Huffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 10:05 AM   #27
p_b82
Site Supporter

yes it is indeed.. but slightly excessive when you then are not able to see them at all behind you
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 08-03-10, 12:18 PM   #28
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_b82 View Post
yes it is indeed.. but slightly excessive when you then are not able to see them at all behind you
Old 21-03-10, 03:08 PM   #29
p_b82
Site Supporter

Well for those not on .ORG who dont lurk in the diesel section i am proud to annouce that the car project has been completed....

I guess the first this to explain from the thumnail are the different runs...

teh green run was how the car was running on the MAFless map designed to reign in the wingy injectors - but with just the hybrid ones fitted.

that return a respectable 211lbsft torque and 147bhp without a single hint of smoke even on the dyno - if you consider i was only getting 22lbs-ft & 160bhp with the wingy injectors high EGT's and smoke screen i was suprised and quite impressed!

Next Matt got working his magic and we discovered that there is an additional limiter in the mapping side when switching to a MAFLess remap. Not an Issue with SDI's as they flow enough fuel to not hit this new found limiter.

So we plugged the MAF back in and got the red run..... And all i can say is result

267lbsft and 169 bhp....tho a few drops in the curves that matt wanted to smooth out, as well as we detected i was only running 23PSI of boost.

so we uppped the boost to around 24-25PSI (not 100% sure as not using a boost guage and the MAP sensor can't read above 23.5PSI) and did the final run....

end result 170bhp and 269lbs-ft - the blue on in the pic

EGT's were peaking at around 850C at 4400 so well within safe limits, and on the road there is next to no smoke - a bit of a haze but nothing worse than a particualte filter burn off from the modern cars!

So all in all i failed to create my MGSZ 180TD - but i got dammed close. Initial run up the drap strip next to matts serious impressed me, as did the quick blast from the traffic lights on the way to the cash machine.... had serious wheel spin in 1st even with the ATB, but dropped it to second floored it and quickly ran out of revs - even with it having a torque limiter!

What i find really impressive is that even at 4000 rpm i am still getting 220lbs-ft torque - which is more than you get out a standard car with a remap at peak levels!

the long schlep home was not great due to the weather, but it was still nice fun - just rying to find an excuse to take it out for a proper run now the weather is nice today

Is funny i did say that i was finished with the car, but I have just been able to get my hands on the stainless mid section by wingy to complete the whole exhuast and at a bargain price too as it is 2nd hand
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 21-03-10, 03:32 PM   #30
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I would not be too disappointed with those figures, they are excellent! I could not begin to imagine the way that drives now, sounds like fun! I reckon that could be the benchmark then?