theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 11-02-15, 04:03 PM   #71
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
you can buy the discs and pad shims from vulcan racing.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-15, 03:09 PM   #72
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
well, 2 test days on and I can honestly say (tongue in cheek) this is the most unreliable car I have ever owned!!!

Oulton Park resulted in the diff bearing collapsing and the gearbox dumping its oil!
Luckily this happened just as the car pulled in to the pits, so no issues with the box internals, they will live to see another day in a close ratio v6 box somewhere, but playing safe, time to bin the diff.

Silverstone resulted in the engine putting a rod through the block, I have seen enough engines let go on race days and trackdays, and plenty of porkas catching fire, but I have never seen the amount of smoke that this produced, the silverstone wing, usually a visual landmark, was nowhere to be seen.

They say things come in three's, hopefully this is the last!

Massive thanks to the marshals, the old boy (retired) in charge of the crane/lorry was lovely and next year will be his 50th year in marshelling for motorsport, these guys are paid a modest wage for trackdays, but work as volunteers for race days/weekends and are very worth of thanks and gratitude, without the efforts of the marshals motorsport would either not exist, or only be a 'rich mans' sport.

Experience tells you when things go pete tong and the car looses fluid, get off the circuit as fast as you can (even coasting the thing) and head towards the nearest fire marshal if you can see one, certainly with this much smoke pouring, there was a potential fire hazard, in this case I was also lucky enough to pull up along side the recovery truck.

No loss of track time for anyone else because the car was well out of the way, happy days

The hole in the engine...the big issue with engines that blow their head gaskets is sometimes they get hydrolocked and kink a rod, quite often so minor it can't be measured, but the kink is now a weak point and on a stressed engine its only time until it fails, we think this may have been the case with this motor.

a bit of exhaust manifold porting before silverstone, what a way to weld, only rover could do it so badly, rather than weld around the outside, they weld the inside, thus reducing flow, its worth a couple of 'free' hp opening this up, and we all like free horse power!

I know this ones been done loads before, but it gets rid of that stupid parachute style mk2 bumper, smooths out airflow and tidies things up a little

and what's not been done before, and I not counting that crappy ebay stick-on vinyl, is a carbon fibre rear lip spoiler, many thanks to a Jamaican fellow and friend I know who still works carbon fibre bike parts and used to build carbon fibre canoe's so light you could lift them with your little finger.

we put a new box in after it failed at oulton, lucky enough to pickup a quaife straight cut gearset with a quaife diff - not my preffered choice, but it was in the box!
ultra close ratios, the car was revved out done hanger straight in 5th at 7300 and was doing an accurate data-logger/gps speed of 115mph.
The ratios have really bought an underpowered car to life and made it quite 'fizzy', I often say the best mod for a v6 is a close ratio box that can be built with std pg1 gearsets (often poo-poo'd because people don't like the idea of a revvy motor) but the VVC is no exception to ultra-close ratios.

Last edited by Mark S; 11-03-15 at 03:50 PM.
Old 29-06-15, 07:59 PM   #73
Mark S

baffled sump laser cut and tacked in place, hopefully this will keep the oil where it needs to be.

crash bar, a very simple idea, made from alloy and padded up to the eyeballs, designed to absorb an impact and disperse, it has to be a million times better than those crash cans which do little more than puncture holes in your bumper!!!

I have named this the 'woodward bar'

and fitted

engine should be built up soon using the n-series/chinese oil rail, gasket, bolts etc.

Last edited by Mark S; 29-06-15 at 08:07 PM.
Old 29-06-15, 08:13 PM   #74
Mark S

exhaust now blasted so the welds around the outside will stick

and linished

It would have been easier to buy a janspeed 4-2-1, but I am trying to build a car that is universal and some race series insist on standard manifold and downpipe but allow removal of internal welds.
Old 29-06-15, 08:30 PM   #75
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Some nice looking work going on there!
Especially with the new box you have, sounds like it has made it more fun.
Close ratio sounds good but I do so many mway miles it wouldn't seem to make sense lol.

Did you glue your Clio diffuser to your bumper? Or is it held well enough underneath?
Also, is the left hand hole filled in or did you just leave it?

Sorry for all the questions just nice to get an opinion on it as Pete posted about it too and mine has arrived now and my 4" tailpipe is way too big so will have to decide on twin or single soon.
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-15, 09:15 PM   #76
Mark S

there are numerous brackets welded to/hung from the wheel well and rear arm cross member, the diffuser just hangs off the brackets
Old 29-06-15, 09:25 PM   #77
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
there are numerous brackets welded to/hung from the wheel well and rear arm cross member, the diffuser just hangs off the brackets
So not attached to the bumper at all? I thought it may wobble and flap about more with less rigidity but if it stands up in racing I guess not.

I'll get to work on it soon I think but more pressing things like sorting the brakes and the tyres have cropped up.
Old 29-06-15, 09:30 PM   #78
Mark S

no, not attached to the bumper in any way, they are fairly rigid if secured in the right places, the biggest problem is the expansion of a stainless steel exhaust, which expands by at least an inch when hot and starts melting the plastic diffuser!
Old 29-06-15, 09:38 PM   #79
Skillen

I guess a flush fitting one should be avoided then lol.
Thanks for the help
Old 08-07-15, 12:14 AM   #80
redzed

redzed has a spectacular aura aboutredzed has a spectacular aura about
Great project, really good to see someone putting in the time and making it right. Great cars once you do this, fantastic reading about it