theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 18-01-14, 03:36 PM   #141
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough

Everything stripped now apart from the B-pillar uppers that cover the seatbelt height adjustment.

How do they come off over the belt?

Ordered some faux alcantara samples as well as I'm gonna re trim the headlining while it's out.

Might do the a,b & c pillars too in the same and some black over the parcel shelf cover.

Last edited by Skillen; 18-01-14 at 03:40 PM.
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-14, 05:40 PM   #142
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Had a productive couple days this weekend. Got the roof covered with some bitumen based sound deadening and some closed cell foam.

Stuffed the A, B & C pillars with some polyester fiber and then sealed up any useless holes with the sound deadening hopefully stopping any noise being transmitted throughout the pillars.

Did the same with the roof crossing box sections.
Sealed up the parcel shelf with the Antivibration material also.

The two rear seat supports with big holes in got covered too.

I ordered 10m of sound deadening material and 5m of closed cell foam. And I've ran out with still the boot floor and rear arches to cover plus the actual car floor!
More is on its way.

Stripped the rear bumper off at the end of the night and took the rear wiring loom out so I could do this:

Re-wire it into a rear Parking sensor loom which works and now requires fitting when the brand new XPG sensors and bezels arrive.
http://youtu.be/GKx4zdmu8fk

While the bumper was off I did the saggy bumper fix and reattached the clips with copious sealant and a felt washer under a large washer to stop leaks and vibrations as water was getting in through them.

I also sealed the rear vent up inside and out to help a little more and the little black plastic hole plugs were removed and then reinserted with sealant as they leaked also.

After I did this I put cavity wax into the two rear box sections after brushing out as much crap as I could with a toilet brush
I also added some cavity wax to the sills and I'll do any front box sections when I take the front off again.

And the last thing before dark was to clean up the rear and both rear arches and then liberally seal up with some bitumen based under seal.

As it's bitumen based it should also hopefully have some anti-drumming properties.

Not a bad weekend really.
Still a long way to go before getting it all sorted, luckily I have two days off Monday and Tuesday to keep the momentum!
Old 26-01-14, 05:54 PM   #143
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Sounds like great work pal - it'll weigh a ton now !

Don't fart in there though ...
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-14, 10:15 PM   #144
Skillen

Hopefully won't weigh too much ha! And the rear vent still vents air just doesn't leak around the edges!

Spent the evening covering trim pieces:

Original on the left and the new light grey alcantara material covered on the right.

Altogether A, C and then B pillar trim covers.

Feels a lot nicer than standard cheap plastic.

Just need to sort out the front leak as it's getting a lot of water through it again!
And need to somehow seal around the fuel filler area as somehow it's getting in through the seams
Old 27-01-14, 10:19 PM   #145
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Have you sealed around the heater intake.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-14, 10:29 PM   #146
Skillen

Quote:
Originally Posted by petet16 View Post
Have you sealed around the heater intake.
Nope not yet. Lol
That's for tomorrow day that one.
I've been putting it off ha!
Old 27-01-14, 10:34 PM   #147
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Hopefully that will cure it, some people are finding seams and grommets in the inner wing which leak.

Old 27-01-14, 10:38 PM   #148
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

Post #3 for some pics of sealing.

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=27062

Old 27-01-14, 10:45 PM   #149
Skillen

Hope so I'll be getting as much as I can round there. Also gonna see if I can see any in the arches.

The front is next to come off when if add the waxoyl to the front arches so I may pull the wing off for good measure while I'm there. Sick of them now especially the rear leak seeing as though every grommet and bumper hanger is sealed and now it's the hard to reach petrol filler area.

I wonder if I force some putty in and around that area will work :/
Old 28-01-14, 07:07 AM   #150
redzed

redzed has a spectacular aura aboutredzed has a spectacular aura about
What size spacers you got on your hubs? What wheels you putting on?