theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 07-09-09, 09:22 PM   #1
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Decisions, Decisions

Right so Ive seen various threads by other people and its got me thinking, Ive got everything as I wanted on my car apart from whats under the hood, and after being in Daves car my drive hope was rather disappointing

So my options are:
Get a 180 and spend a week or so swapping everything over from my car,
Tune the K-series
Or get hold of a T-lump,

Not thinking of doing anything this week...well no time soon unless tuning the 120 as will start buying bits little at a time, but wanting something to eventually strip and take on track, The audio is great but the sound of a turbo would be just as good

The 180 seems the easiest option, but wont gain massive bhp over std 180 with out alot of money,
Now I kinda fancy tunning the k-series as not many people doing it and like the challenge but can just see pound signs and not huge gains,
Think the T-series is the best in the long term but will take a bit of saving up but AAautosport are doing great work and at great prices,

If I do T-series would I be better off selling mine and buying a zs with hgf then taking bits like my bumper and alloys off etc...

Really cant make my mind up

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 07:43 AM   #2
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Do you have a budget in mind? That will dictate the path you take. Weigh up the pro's and con's for each conversion but do not forget the dead money that it will become. We all know we never get back what we put in, but something tuned or modded highly will lose more.
Old 08-09-09, 07:58 AM   #3
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Oh yer I know I wont get anything back, No budget as not planning on doing it any time in the instant future just thought that Id make my mind up otherwise I would keep spending on the K-series, I will just save up what ever is needed sort of thing, Besides if I do t-series it will run it till it dies as will get it on track, So any money put in is purly for my own enjoyment

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 08-09-09, 09:20 AM   #4
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I suppose the question is, do you want to keep it MGR powered? That is where your limitations are, cost, age and availability of parts required. Personally if budget were not an issue then I would consider dropping in something newer and easily tuned, similar to what Dave has done. T-series is a bit long in the tooth and requires alot of money throwing at the bottom end to make it handle the power required, whereas a newer configuration is already over-engineered and requires less work and maintenance. Why run something on the limit when it is best keeping it inside the safety margins?
Old 08-09-09, 09:29 AM   #5
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

well although theres no set budget I couldnt afford a 6grand conversion Think I will think about it for a while, going to the bank now to open a student account maybe I should ask the bank manager which he thinks then asking him nicly to fund it I hear the banks will lend to anyone

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 08-09-09, 09:55 AM   #6
Phate

Phate is an unknown quantity at this point
Buy an arse ended 180 for peanuts and swap the engine to it. Done
Old 08-09-09, 01:43 PM   #7
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
i did answer this on the other forum as well....

but i will say dont attempt anything unless you have a buget in place, mine is not open ended, but due to complications and unforseen things it has increased over 2K over my original max estimate..... it still needs work on it as well!
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 02:29 PM   #8
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Yer I can imagine thats why I want to go for something thats been done before to minimise the chance of running in to problems and more expense, Think more than anything I just want to make my mind up that I will loose the K-series, After having said Id keep it its just gonna cost too much for decent gains, Think I will start stripping it and see what the finances allow

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 08-09-09, 05:14 PM   #9
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
If you are uping the power of the 120 you will have to upgrade the brakes and the suspension, both the KV6 and the T16 weigh more and need a lot more stopping ability.

The easiest route would be to get a 180 and swap all your bits over, 6k would buy you a stunning 180.

If you still want a bit more power then plan for the T16 conversion.
Old 08-09-09, 05:29 PM   #10
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

well the first mod i did to mine was the 180 break upgrade and its lowered at the moment so obviously I would need new springs on the front, So at least Im half way there on that, Found all the parts needed bar the engine and exhaust bits,off a previous zs-t as would be easier to store than a donor,

2012 BMW 320d Sport