theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 08-04-13, 12:28 PM   #1
Witnes$

Witnes$ has a spectacular aura aboutWitnes$ has a spectacular aura about
MGB, thinking of buying, advice needed?

Well I was looking to buy a spitfire as a starter classic car but ive been offerd a blue MGB, amarican import, re-shelled and converted to RHD in the early 90s, 3 wiper edition, was running untill 4-5 years ago, comes with soft and hard tops, chrome bumpers, set of steelies and a set wire wheels, V5 present, folder full of history.

Ive not seen the car and dont know if its been converted to unleaded or has overdrive. Ive beed told interior and exterior are both ok but the chassis is good.

Agreed to view the car on Wednesday with my dad the seller wasnts £1000.00, whats peoples initial thoughts? If the car is as the seller describes I would glady pay that for it but not knowing too much about MGBs im at a loss.

My initial plan was to get the car running and through an MOT with a look to running it this summer and make good over the next 2-3 years as my Dad has space to dry store it. Very exited!!

PS: I may drop this on a few forums in the next day or two so apologies if your bored to hell reading it.
Old 08-04-13, 12:43 PM   #2
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Sounds like a good deal, one I would be tempted with (although no cash for that at the moment!)

However. at that price I would expect the inner wings to be completely fecked, you won't know till you take the outers off, also check around the windscreen for signs of rot as thats another place they go...

MG B's are fantastic cars, but rot like anything

Also add yourself to the "Classic & Sports Car Modders" Facebook page, tons and tons of knowledgeable folk on there about the MG B's

and Martin's home page http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/upgrades4mgs/index.htm has tons of tips and tricks about them too

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk

Last edited by ZS; 08-04-13 at 12:47 PM.
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-13, 03:23 PM   #3
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
I've had 3 or 4 MGB GT's, easy to work on because of the very agriculture engineering.

Rust is the biggest bug bear, look at the sills, and castle rails (just inside of the sills), did both sides on one of mine, have to cut front and rear wings to do it, plus a stiffener in the doors so the shell doesnt go banana shape. The wing finishers on top of the wings by the windscreen rust and are pigs to sort. check rear spring hangers, front of the rear spring area is a ****** to weld if its rusty.

As its been reshelled would have thought door skins etc will be OK.

Overdrive is good option on 3 and 4 gears.

Not very powerful engine, less you go for a fast road upgrade, if you have to have the head looked at for unleaded. OSELLI do heads £465 std ones £2125 for a fast road engine. Plenty of suppliers that can supply nuts and bolts to body panels.

Safety side is also fairly basic, seat belts and thats about it.

Just a different mind set when you are driving a MGB, dont get into races as you will get pushed along by Fiestas, Novas etc.

Love my TF160 wouldnt go back to a B. But good luck if you take one on, must have a look underneath and at least get the engine running and see whats it like.
Old 08-04-13, 03:28 PM   #4
MG mad

MG mad is on a distinguished road
Wires and steel wheels have different hubs, so not a lot of point having both sets BUT wheels are worth a bit second hand so grab them anyway.

Mechanically very simple and can be tweaked to give pretty good performance if you so desire.

Check the splash plates directly behind the front wheels are in place, they stop crap getting between the front guard and the footwell - big rust trap. Check the sills for rust, can be a problem but pretty much everything is still available, and a lot of repair panels as well, which are generally pretty cheap. Check the top of the wings are ok, esp around the beading as that's a ****** to replace properly.

"Driving sideways is the Meaning of Life"

1987 MG Metro - 1440cc fast road car
1988 MG Metro Turbo - standard, for now...
1970 MG Midget - 1.9L Scholar + big valve VVC + supercharger + RWD = YEEHAA!
1996 MGF 1.8i - Project Rally Car
1998 MGF Abingdon - Wife's fun car
1972 MGBGT - Project V12 MGB (Wife's money pit)
2005 MG ZT-T 260 - Wife's sensible car
2001 MG ZS 180 - LHD - sold to brother
2003 MG ZS 180 - Hurrah!
1956 MG ZA Magnette - the "wife wants to keep me busy" car
MG mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-13, 09:11 PM   #5
Witnes$

Nice one for the pointers guys, giving me and my dad plenty to think about. Certainly won't be having any traffic light gps in an mgb, it's a civilised machine for a civilised man . I'll hopefully know more Wednesday and will get some pics up for more opinions.
Old 08-04-13, 09:14 PM   #6
daytona365

daytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the rough
Oh dont forget to die hair grey, get a nice cardigan, driving gloves lol.
daytona365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-13, 09:24 PM   #7
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
As it's been reshelled, it would most likely be a Heritage shell, which is good news, however it is still a 20 year old shell, so rust, rust, and rust, mechanically pretty much everything is available, and plenty of uprated suspension bits from Frontline Developments in Abingdon.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-13, 09:26 PM   #8
Witnes$

Lol. Flat cap and a pipe to complete the look.
Old 08-04-13, 09:28 PM   #9
Witnes$

Nice one Pete. My major concern is the 'r' word, I've got my fingers crossed its not full of it.
Old 08-04-13, 09:32 PM   #10
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, rust would be my major concern, but if someone spent some time seam sealing and rust proofing the new shell it could be in better than expected condition.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote