theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 01-09-13, 09:24 PM   #1
Craig-ZS180

Craig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the rough
Odd knocking/clunk noise

Over the past few days, infact it was on the way home from Dans place last week when dropping off a vis motor my front doors on the zs have started getting an odd knocking / clunking noise when accelerating,decelerating and turning left or right. It seems to be mainly a change in direction that causes it although its most noticeable when pulling away from stand still and then changing into 2nd gear. Its louder from drivers side too, can almost feel it through the door card.
Now I've had the card off several times now, taken the horrible sticky polythene sheet out of the way and gone round tightening up every single nut and bolt making sure nothing's loose. The window motor seemed like the bolts were a tad loose but now all tightened up the ruddy noise is still there.
There wasn't anything else that could be tightened or not that I thought of anyway but does anyone have an idea of what it could be?
Is there anything else in the door that would move in that way to make a loud noise that's very noticeable. With door card off though was almost impossible to locate an exact area.
If anyone's had a similar issue or has seen or heard similar I would be very grateful as its really doing my head in now.
Old 01-09-13, 09:27 PM   #2
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Try greasing the door latch and striker.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13, 09:36 PM   #3
Craig-ZS180

Craig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by petet16 View Post
It does click occasionally when opening and closing so you never know. When going along though it only ever does it with the back and forth or left to right motion. Never does it when going over bumps or so on? Very hard to identify but I will certainly try that.
Should I use a normal grease or anything in particular?
Old 01-09-13, 09:39 PM   #4
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Just the normal multi use grease will be fine

Old 01-09-13, 10:10 PM   #5
Craig-ZS180

Quote:
Just the normal multi use grease will be fine
Ok, will give it a try
Old 05-09-13, 06:21 PM   #6
Craig-ZS180

Quote:
Ok, tried this and unfortunately no change. The door does make a similar clunk when opening which made me think that I'd be on to a winner but unfortunately its still there and just as annoying.
It has changed in the way that you can now feel a slight knock through the door card around the arm rest pad part just down from the pull handle.
I have looked behind but still cannot see what could be causing it. Also driven without the doorcard on and still none the wiser (is difficult to look at the area whilst driving though, not the safest thing so cannot give it complete attention)

If any other suggestions are out there, I will gladly give it a try as its really doing my head in now
Old 05-09-13, 07:02 PM   #7
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
No idea mate - but you might need a full set of Red doors ....
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 08:01 PM   #8
Craig-ZS180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
No idea mate - but you might need a full set of Red doors ....
Haha, you never know. It is really frustrating me as sounds like a right old banger with the clunks and bangs from the door. Annoying because of the consistency of it too.

Could start off making a harlequin ZS like the old polos they made lol.
Old 05-09-13, 08:08 PM   #9
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

A couple of other things to check, the metal bar that stops the door opening too far has a tapered roll pin type thing on the a post, if the pin has worked loose it clunks when you open and close the door, also have you tried with the door open, lifting the rear of the door to see if it clunks.

Old 05-09-13, 08:24 PM   #10
Craig-ZS180

The pin looks ok, tried to gently tap it in further today but wouldn't budge but it does still clunk when opening the door, usually at 3/4 way through opening it. The door has no movement when open, no knocks or anything when trying to lift it so everything there seems ok.
It seems very odd that its a very noticeable noise that happens on either a accelerating or braking motion. Even on gear change you hear it and as i said going round bends it does it too. Nothing seems loose as have taken the door card off several times and cannot see anything shifting whilst it makes the noise.
Strange that you feel it though if arms on the doorcard