AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 08-05-11, 03:03 PM   #1
marts66
Site Supporter

marts66 is on a distinguished road
Engine knock

Damn and blast it, just when I thought things were going well. My engine has just developed a rather loud knocking noise which from the speed of it and the noise, sounds like a piston. So I'm going to have to forgo the T16 conversion as I won't have the time nor money to source the bits. Think I might go down the 160vvc route, anyone have a 'How to' for this conversion, or a comprehensive parts needed list. I'm going to get a complete engine as if my bottom end has gone I might as well, I know I need loom and ECU and fobs, owt else?

Sarcasm....the lowest form of humour and the highest form of vulgarity.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

TF135 cams, 52mm throttle body, PECO SS catback, K&N Apollo, PAYEN headgasket, Tinted rear lenses, HID 6000k headlights, 100w mains, citroen washers, grooved discs with Mintex redbox pads, Sony Xplod + USB + 10 disc changer, sub + amp, one off alloy bonnet badge, rear headrests and the beat goes on...
marts66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-11, 05:02 PM   #2
starfire039

starfire039 is on a distinguished road
I think there's a guide either here or on XPF. I'm thinking about this too, be certain that the main block has a fault first, as the blocks are the same on the 120 and 160. If anyone can recall I had a "clacking" noise that I feared was piston slap, but turned out to be a noisy tensioner, and the noise went when a new one was put on when I had a cambelt change. Piston slap is pretty uncommon on K series engines, so try and find the cause before you buy anything you might not need to.

For the record, did you notice a difference with the TF cams? Does it take the engine to 135 spec pretty much, with the 52mm TB? How much did it cost?
  • Replace/fix rattly mirror
  • Mark 2 dashboard
  • Catch tank
  • New VIS motors
  • Fit bucket seats
  • Induction kit
  • New spark plugs + oil change
  • New exhaust
  • Decat
  • Fix drivers seat mounting hole
  • Reidy Remap

starfire039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 04:31 PM   #3
marts66
Site Supporter

Well it's been confirmed as little end bearings. Never heard of these going. So looks like I'll be in the market for a 160vvc lump and bits. Going to try Adrian @ AA Autosport and see what he says

FYO Starfire, yes I did notice a difference, revved cleaner and smoother and it seemed to increase the torque some too, nice mod and cheap ponies. Might have set of cams coming up for sale soon.

TF135 cams, 52mm throttle body, PECO SS catback, K&N Apollo, PAYEN headgasket, Tinted rear lenses, HID 6000k headlights, 100w mains, citroen washers, grooved discs with Mintex redbox pads, Sony Xplod + USB + 10 disc changer, sub + amp, one off alloy bonnet badge, rear headrests and the beat goes on...
Old 11-05-11, 08:21 PM   #4
marts66
Site Supporter

Had yet another opinion and this one says lifters, so going to whip cam cover off friday and have a prod of them to see if I can find a weak one................... it can be very lonely on here sometimes

Old 11-05-11, 08:34 PM   #5
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Sorry, I've got a derv and it sounds like a tractor at the best of times.

Would never hear a piston slap, little or big end rattle or lifters.

Must admit, that's all outside the car, inside cant hear anything, unless my hearings going!!!!

I always put an oil additive in when I do an oil change, STP, don't know if they would help free off sticky lifters, might be worth ?6 or so to bung some in.

we are around.
Old 12-05-11, 07:50 AM   #6
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Sorry to hear you are having problems, hope the diagnosis is right. Don't hear many that fail on the bottom end. These things always come at the wrong time.
Old 12-05-11, 09:17 AM   #7
ramdonice

ramdonice is on a distinguished road
do an oil change and use diesel oil as it has more of a cleaning act to it as diesel need it should un stick anything that stuck
Old 12-05-11, 04:52 PM   #8
marts66
Site Supporter

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure whether it's a sticking lifter or it's gone weak as it's quiet when cold and the noise comes on once it's warmed up. Been quoted 1k from Adrian for a complete conversion for a vvc engine with new head gasket and warrantied engine, ecu, fobs coded and loom. The only thing I'd have to buy is a downpipe.
I have considered selling and buying another car but what would I get for the price of mine and another 1k which would put as big a grin on my face as a ZS? Not much really, plus I know this car inside out as I've had it coming up to 6 years now. Decisions decisions (although I think I've already made it).

Old 12-05-11, 09:52 PM   #9
starfire039

starfire039 is on a distinguished road
Thanks mart, letting me know that a conversion was available for a grand. Because if I get my contract extended over summer I will be getting one. My insurance company, wallet and girlfriend hate you!
  • Replace/fix rattly mirror
  • Mark 2 dashboard
  • Catch tank
  • New VIS motors
  • Fit bucket seats
  • Induction kit
  • New spark plugs + oil change
  • New exhaust
  • Decat
  • Fix drivers seat mounting hole
  • Reidy Remap

starfire039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-11, 07:29 AM   #10
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Sounds like a good deal to me marts, if that were me in that position I think I would consider the change. I still believe the vvc 160 was the missing link in the ZS range and they should have made the 180 a 200 to create a real stir when launched.