theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 21-06-21, 10:53 AM   #71
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Spent a lot of time this weekend flaring brake pipes, I've cut off the section that is leaking and put a join in the existing pipe.

However I have since been told I shouldn't have flared the OE pipe as it is steel and wouldn't have made a good flare, so will leak. However even stamping on the pedal there is no leak I can see at all....

Am I risking a leak with this? Should I look to replace the whole line (which means dropping the fuel tank!)

Anyway, both rear brakes (drums still!) are now braided and will get to the fronts when the weather clears up a bit.

Whilst doing the front lines I will clean up the suspension a bit, and then its time to book it into an MOT

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-21, 11:02 AM   #72
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

don't they usually use copper pipe for the brake lines??

Not worth skimping on brakes, one thing I always keep up to spec.

Good luck with it.

Old 21-06-21, 01:48 PM   #73
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
don't they usually use copper pipe for the brake lines??

Not worth skimping on brakes, one thing I always keep up to spec.

Good luck with it.

To be fair, some manufacturers (MGRover by the looks) give you steel lines from the factory. I have replaced a couple of sections with copper though.

Old 21-06-21, 03:56 PM   #74
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
My lines are steel. Still in good condition. If you’ve managed to flare it and it seals then you should be okay. The copper section you have added will squash to the steel flare and seal when tightened.
Old 22-06-21, 02:24 PM   #75
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

the TF on its last MOT has advisories on a couple of brake pipe runs, front to back, that I need to get sorted.

Always something to do.
Old 22-06-21, 02:58 PM   #76
ZS
IT Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
My lines are steel. Still in good condition. If you’ve managed to flare it and it seals then you should be okay. The copper section you have added will squash to the steel flare and seal when tightened.
Its the Offside Rear that was a problem, it had worn through at the final bracket that holds the steel line into place. - Seems fine now though

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
the TF on its last MOT has advisories on a couple of brake pipe runs, front to back, that I need to get sorted.

Always something to do.
Couple of weeks ago I stripped out the offside rear pipe (from the T piece to the wheel) and used it as a pattern for a complete new run of brake pipe for the MGF. Wasn't too bad a job to be honest, but that T piece can be a pain if its rusted up!

Old 23-06-21, 10:33 AM   #77
peterzs
promoted bloke!

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS View Post
Its the Offside Rear that was a problem, it had worn through at the final bracket that holds the steel line into place. - Seems fine now though

Couple of weeks ago I stripped out the offside rear pipe (from the T piece to the wheel) and used it as a pattern for a complete new run of brake pipe for the MGF. Wasn't too bad a job to be honest, but that T piece can be a pain if its rusted up!
I saw a T piece behind the engine when it was out, just after I bought the car and thought it would be better changed as it looked rusty. Like most thing I forgot and it went back as it was.

Have to see what pipes need doing, and then start worrying.
Old 26-06-21, 05:29 PM   #78
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
When I changed the subframes on my MGF I changed the front to rear brake pipe and the 2 that go to the rear wheels. I had to re-flair one on the car when a bolt on the suspension came out (I thought the hole was threaded) and the arm crushed the pipe, strange thing is that it went through the MOT with the arm loose.

I also swapped the clutch line for a front to back one in with a braided hose supplied for the Lotus Elise.
Old 13-08-21, 03:23 PM   #79
ZS
IT Administrator

So... after all that work, 2 miles from the MOT station the engine decided that C4 rod should exit out the side of the block... and shower everyone behind me with engine components (it was running sweet as before hand with no issues or warning this was going to happen!)

Anyway... I refuse to let the ZS die, so I have now ended up with another Hatch T16 that needs a bit of work (although good engine etc) and plans are to make one really good car out of the two

Old 13-08-21, 10:45 PM   #80
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Gutted for you Sam. Hate hearing such shitty news. Hope you get some luck from now on.