theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 16-09-13, 11:12 PM   #21
andys1981

andys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the rough
that is bad news mate,hope you can find another engine for mandy,as others have said probably easier,than repairing it
andys1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-13, 11:32 PM   #22
pb25

pb25 will become famous soon enough
Would something like this do?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FREELANDER...item4d11f86158

Or this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mg-zr-zs-r...item35cb21d78e

Are they reasonable prices?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
Old 16-09-13, 11:39 PM   #23
andys1981

andys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the rough
im not sure with the first pic,but id imagine 2nd pic would be fine,am sure guys on here will confirm,never had a diesel sorry
andys1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-13, 06:10 AM   #24
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
I would agree with Andy on the fact that 2nd engine should be fine but would wait for the derv experts to confirm and also whether the price is fine.
To save yourself hassle in the future add a timing belt kit so that when you put engine in you know belts, tensioners etc are fine. Will also save hassle being fitted before engine goes in due to easier access.

As Ross says it would be far easier to do an engine swap than repair, take a note of where everything plugs into etc for ease of refitment. You could also strip the old engine of as much ancilleries as you can and build up spares or recoup some cost by selling on
Old 17-09-13, 10:31 AM   #25
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Sounds OK, make sure you get all the bits with whatever engine, know you will have them on yours but stuff like the fuel pump, cost mega bucks, injectors etc, get your money back by selling the bits you dont want.

I'd try and get a written warranty saying you get the your money back if its no good, A one months warranty would do it, just makes you feel a bit happier if they will cover it. Just the cost of swapping it if it does go wrong.

Agree with Maxfly re the belts.
Old 17-09-13, 01:09 PM   #26
ZRed

ZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the rough
ouch.

I may have a diesel zr engine here. Would need to look.
Old 18-09-13, 12:44 PM   #27
pb25

Right have had a bit of time to thing about Mandy's future. I have found parts for the pug which should be here on Friday so a bit of programming and I'll be back on the road. It looks klike I'm buying a Ford Focus tdci estate tomorrow aswell so that I have back up (I loved the 1.8 tdci engine in my last focus)....it's pennies and I do miss the estate.

As for Mandy's my plan is to get her under cover and start stripping it down to assess the damage.....I'm quite looking forward to the challenge. If the damage is bad then I'll get another engine and put that in. If its OK then I'll fit a new timing belt etc and get her back on the road. Will give me a chance to get the suspension off and tidy/refurb that aswell.

So Mandy will live again, not sure when but the North coast will be hearing the zed roar again!!!!

ZRed if you do have one then PM what you want for it. Probably won't take it immediately as storage space is limited but may well be needing one in the next couple of months.
Old 18-09-13, 01:00 PM   #28
ZRed

ZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the rough
I have a ZR TD MK2 here mate that I`ve been running about in for the last few weeks. Looking to move it on. Could be a motor for you to run whilst fixing the zs?
Old 18-09-13, 02:05 PM   #29
Enright

Enright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the rough
I've previously read on the diesel section of mg-rover.org that when a timing belt goes it usually lunches the head by smashing the lifters. The bottom ends are pretty bomb-proof. Another head assembly should see you right (like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-25-M...#ht_1275wt_813)
...and a Haynes manual is good enough to walk you though the process. The most tricky bit is timing the fuel pump as the instructions in the Haynes are wrong.
At least ZRed's ZR TD offer could get you out of the immediate hole, then you can review your most cost effective option to get up and running again.

Mk2 MG ZS TD 115 with full 180 kit (and 2x Lotus Elan SE Turbos)
Enright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-13, 07:23 PM   #30
pb25

Well today I took delivery of a focus 1.8 tdci paying not much more than a second hand l series engine! The body work is a bit tatty and its done 140k miles but has been maticulously maintained with all the paperwork to prove it......so I'm mobile again and I have to say I do like the tdci engine.

Once the pug is fixed Mandy will be going into the garage and I'll start stripping the head etc to see whether I can get away with a new head or if its a full engine change. I've got loads of other bits and bobs to do on it anyway, track rod ends, suspension, decat, rear leccie windows so will just take my time and get her sorted.

Thanks Zred for the offer but with 4 kids and a dog a zr wouldnt be big enough and I would have only offered you pennies.

Stay tuned and I'll post pictures along the way........and thanks for all the advice and help, much appreciated

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4