theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 30-11-15, 08:36 PM   #1
Bakermgzs

Bakermgzs is a jewel in the roughBakermgzs is a jewel in the roughBakermgzs is a jewel in the rough
setting tensioner

Hi all has any one done belt on zs v6
I'm doing belt at mo and have the tools aswell,I think I might have problem well after l have done the main belt,just before I tighten the cam bolts,there is a pin in the side of the tensioner you pull out to set the tension on the belt but when I go to pull out the pin its very tight and when it does come out the adjustable pully is pushing hard on the tensioner pin it compresses all way back in the housing and the the adjustable pully housing is metal on metal with the tensioner housing
Is this normal because the belts new and the tension pin will slowly come out the housing over time with stretch?????
I just can't help but think about when the is engine hot and things want to expand I thought the pin in side tensioner should be able to move freely in and out the hole when all tools are removed,thanks for ur time all
Bakermgzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-15, 08:40 PM   #2
Bakermgzs

Bakermgzs is a jewel in the roughBakermgzs is a jewel in the roughBakermgzs is a jewel in the rough
tensioner

The tensioner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151130_155702.jpg (91.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 30-11-15, 09:34 PM   #3
top_man_eldo

top_man_eldo is a jewel in the roughtop_man_eldo is a jewel in the roughtop_man_eldo is a jewel in the rough
To me that sounds like the hydraulic tensioner has had it. When you pull the pin, the piston pops up, pushes against the tensioner which in turn pushes the tensioner into the belt.

Have you tried removing it to see if the pin is free to move?

2016 Subaru WRX STi
top_man_eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-15, 09:45 PM   #4
top_man_eldo

top_man_eldo is a jewel in the roughtop_man_eldo is a jewel in the roughtop_man_eldo is a jewel in the rough
If you're stuck I do have a used spare here that you're welcome to, I'll be happy with just a couple of quid for the postage.

2016 Subaru WRX STi
Old 01-12-15, 06:40 AM   #5
LozMachine
Site Supporter

LozMachine is a jewel in the roughLozMachine is a jewel in the roughLozMachine is a jewel in the rough
Sounds like you havent adjusted the tensioner pulley, they arent set out of the box. There is a pdf floating around somewhere of how to do it, basically it needs set so that you can slide the small pin in and out before actually removing it.
Set pulley tension so that the pin is free
Tighten sprockets
Remove pin and tools and rotate at least 2 or 3 times by hand
Recheck tension (pin should still fit in hole) and if ok remove the pin, if not tweak the pulley tension and repeat
Think thats the right order lol
Apologies if that's what youve already done
http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=30124

Last edited by LozMachine; 01-12-15 at 09:42 AM.
LozMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-15, 09:51 AM   #6
top_man_eldo

That's the thread that I posted reading setting the tensioner, I'm not sure if this is his problem, as he's saying that the pulley is pushing into the hydraulic tensioner and compressing it, by the sounds of it?

2016 Subaru WRX STi
Old 01-12-15, 10:20 AM   #7
LozMachine
Site Supporter

LozMachine is a jewel in the roughLozMachine is a jewel in the roughLozMachine is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by top_man_eldo View Post
That's the thread that I posted reading setting the tensioner, I'm not sure if this is his problem, as he's saying that the pulley is pushing into the hydraulic tensioner and compressing it, by the sounds of it?
Yer i know mate, i had the same problem though unfortunately i had it running before i realised something was amiss, (could hear it) , looking back i dont think i turned it over enough times to settle everything down.
http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=30194
Post 26
I had to reset the tensioner pulley to sort it.
Old 01-12-15, 11:32 AM   #8
Bakermgzs

See now I thought for a second it was maybe the hydrologic tensioner so I got another but did the same thing,I did have ago with the adjustable tensioner undoing the Allen key bolt and it did make bit difference but not alot,iv also noticed because the tensioner pin is pulled back in its housing every time I go to pull the to off the front back cam tool it moves cam so tiny but enough not to put tool back in,the back rear small belt just seem to be a tiny bit out the tool won't fit in but I have also heard this is common problem,
Well I toke day off because it's doing my Swede in so gona have another play around
Old 01-12-15, 11:37 AM   #9
LozMachine
Site Supporter

When undoing the allen key bolt of the pulley are you physically turning the pulley clockwise with an allen key to release tension off the belt?
Old 01-12-15, 03:31 PM   #10
Bakermgzs

Iv had enough I sorted the tension out but now every time I rotate the engine by hand the belt wants to come off