theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 19-10-17, 05:07 PM   #1
Frank

Frank is on a distinguished road
Little niggles with the ZS

Well after my first couple of weeks of ownership. I have a couple of niggles with ZS. Not massive problems but more annoying me personally.

Fuel Gauge, Seems to fluctuate when cornering & even bumpy roads quite a lot up to a quarter of a tank.

Bulbs in the headlights are shockingly bad. I don't really want to go down the HID route this time like with my old Metro. They just seem to over power the front of the car and annoy oncoming road users. I was thinking of Osram night breakers or any other suggestions please

Main one is the colour, I cannot find any spare panels in my colour it's a right nightmare lol I just want a none cracked Saloon rear bumper in Tahiti Blue Pearlescent

Anyways apart from this it's spot on been to local garage and only one spot on the car needs welding. Front passenger side jacking point is starting to go so quoted £150 to have the car back to original so booked in on the 05/11/2017. Undersealing it myself and then ready for the winter roads. But with only 30k tempted to buy a £200 run about for when the salt hits
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-17, 06:29 PM   #2
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
The fuel gauge does fluctuate when low, try driving up and down hills! One minute you got loads next the light is on!

That colour is quite rare so be patient or get another painted.

I've had worse cars than the ZS with regards headlights. A change of bulb spec can work, HIDs seem to work well on them.
Old 19-10-17, 06:41 PM   #3
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Standard bulbs aren't brilliant, I've used variations of Philips blue lighters for years and am very happy with them, the blue tip gives a whiter light and they are slightly more powerful than O/E.

Another factor is the condition of the lenses, have they suffered with UV damage or scratching?

Yes, the fuel gauges are not very well dampened.
Old 19-10-17, 07:03 PM   #4
Drew

Drew has a spectacular aura aboutDrew has a spectacular aura about
I use the Halfords 100w bulbs. Seem Ok, lasted pretty well.

Drew
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-17, 07:23 PM   #5
Frank

Thank you appreciate the replies. I noticed last night I took her for a run to Carlisle took some B roads and it was all over the place had me worried when I first saw it so low. They have a petrol light? I can't see it lol didn't think it even had one lol.

I've got some polish compound G3 at home I think I'll give one lense a clean over with it as she has been sitting for 4 years.

I'm off next week I'll definitely give the two options ago, Possibly a mini review

Thanks again
Old 19-10-17, 07:29 PM   #6
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

I put nightbreakers in the ZS and the TF, much brighter whiter light.

The TF was almost dangerous to drive at night when I first bought it, made such a change.

The ZS is now good at night as well, just be careful you don't put the bulbs in upside down. Sounds daft but my ZS use to light up the trees, rather than the road when I changed them. In upside down!!

Old 19-10-17, 07:49 PM   #7
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
I put nightbreakers in the ZS and the TF, much brighter whiter light.

The TF was almost dangerous to drive at night when I first bought it, made such a change.

The ZS is now good at night as well, just be careful you don't put the bulbs in upside down. Sounds daft but my ZS use to light up the trees, rather than the road when I changed them. In upside down!!

Might of been why I had so many flashes at night in my old Metro before I got HID's oops lol
Old 20-10-17, 10:28 AM   #8
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Might be worth getting the light spread checked - maybe out of alignment so blinding oncomers.....but then as a convert BMW driver, I'm not bothered about anyone else now, just so long as I can see, I don't care ....

Certainly a good polish of the lenses will help you. No clue re bulbs I'm afraid.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-17, 10:39 AM   #9
Frank

I'm off for three days after today so looking forward to more cleaning. I think the headlights will have to be next to be sure
Old 20-10-17, 10:50 AM   #10
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
I've night-breakers in the ZS - they're pretty good; and still going many years later (granted they've not been used a huge amount recently but hey)

And I've learnt that the petrol tank damping for the gauge is a lot poorer than the diesel tank myself recently having just fitted one - the float has no swirlpot/baffle on them to steady the levels so they do jump around a bit when 1/4 or less is in the car! (esp when driving enthusiastically or when hills are involved!)

On the diesel the light would come on with about 5-10L of fuel left so up to 80miles or so...
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote