theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 15-09-14, 02:47 AM   #1
silver bullet

silver bullet is on a distinguished road
Recommended ZS 180 tuning/upgrades

So I am wondering about good mods/tuning/upgrades to enhance the driveability of the vehicle. I have a ITG intake but apart from that it's standard. I know they don't respond to power that well and power isn't everything.

Not sure if something like brake upgrade / short shifter / strut brace etc.?

So what have people done / recommend and how did it feel after you did it?

(p.s. didn't put it in technical as it isn't specific about power/brakes etc. but feel free to move it mods )
silver bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-14, 05:43 AM   #2
Lukeus101

Lukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to all
A good exhaust will help it along with a good service.

ZS Appreciation Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/475756782447499/

> ZR 105 (Broken) > MK2 ZS 180 (Sold) > MK1 ZS 180 (Sold) > ZR Replica (Dead) > MK1 ZS 180 (Broken)
Lukeus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-14, 06:45 AM   #3
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Janspeed manifold, sportcat or decat for exhaust.
Remapping - even though it's NASP, a good remap will ensure that you get a better throttle response with the modifications made.
Make sure the vis motors are working.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-14, 06:53 AM   #4
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
I would go for a decat, decent exhaust and a remap from Reidy. I wouldn't bother with the Janspred manifold.

A must is a sheddist or black ice clutch hydraulic upgrade as the O/E system is rubbish.

You could also consider a lightened fly wheel before the remap.

I find the O/E brakes ok but EBC yellowstuff improve them.
Old 21-10-14, 10:14 PM   #5
top_man_eldo

top_man_eldo is a jewel in the roughtop_man_eldo is a jewel in the roughtop_man_eldo is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver bullet View Post
So I am wondering about good mods/tuning/upgrades to enhance the driveability of the vehicle. I have a ITG intake but apart from that it's standard. I know they don't respond to power that well and power isn't everything.

Not sure if something like brake upgrade / short shifter / strut brace etc.?

So what have people done / recommend and how did it feel after you did it?

(p.s. didn't put it in technical as it isn't specific about power/brakes etc. but feel free to move it mods )
Mine is slightly modified, ITG inner wing filter, twin catch tanks, front upper strut brace, quick shift kit, polybushed gear linkage, modified clutch hydraulics, decat pipe, straight through middle section and smaller backbox. I'm in the process of rebuilding the whole rear suspension with polybushes and have just ordered a rear upper brace and also the lower brace that bolts between the control arms.

Can't give any recommendations for power upgrades apart from a remap as someone mentioned, my personal experiences with remapping NASP cars aren't all that great, to be honest there'd be more to gain if you took the spare wheel out the boot but can't comment on how a ZS responds to a remap - I know that there are some reputable guys that can do it though. Piper 270 cams are quite pricey as well as the manifolds - these also get mixed reviews.

Dark Ice Designs and Motobuild sell some pretty good tuning/modifying stuff
top_man_eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-14, 07:12 AM   #6
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I was on holiday when this was posted hence why I missed it!

If not done already performance wise you are better off fitting a good induction system with a de-cat and free flowing cat back exhaust system. If you have remapping where you are then this is a good mod as it will improve the AFR and compliment the breathing mods. Where you take this depends on what you want to spend and in what order.

Janspeed manifolds and a sports cat would give you the same basic figures as the final remap using standard manis but with additional cost and some do question the Janspeed manifolds build quality.

Lightened flywheel is a great mod with improved response and pick up, couple this with a Torsen B diff to get an all-round improvement. Brakes are good enough for road use and keep to OE grade unless you go fast road then you could go to EBC products to suit your needs.

Horses for courses............