theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 02-03-11, 09:21 PM   #1
haGGard

haGGard is on a distinguished road
180 Belts: This might sound stupid

Now this might sound like a very, silly question... but due to the fact of how much it actually costs to get the belts on a 180 done, coupled with the fact that a mk1 180 sells for peanuts (if that!) Do you guys recon its worth actually getting my belts done?

Might sound stupid, but theres mint mk1's all over ebay (and even in the for sale section here) that are priced below 1000 pounds! Due to the cost of fuel/tax/insurance these cars are unfortunatley not worth a lot. Would it be worth running the car untill the belts finally let go, then just getting another one?? Then i could just break the car and get another 180 as they're so cheap?

Sounds rediculous, but does anyone see what i mean? I could just fork out the money for a belt change, but is it really worth it these days? Tell me if im talking rubbish!
haGGard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 09:30 PM   #2
grimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by haGGard View Post
Now this might sound like a very, silly question... but due to the fact of how much it actually costs to get the belts on a 180 done, coupled with the fact that a mk1 180 sells for peanuts (if that!) Do you guys recon its worth actually getting my belts done?

Might sound stupid, but theres mint mk1's all over ebay (and even in the for sale section here) that are priced below 1000 pounds! Due to the cost of fuel/tax/insurance these cars are unfortunatley not worth a lot. Would it be worth running the car untill the belts finally let go, then just getting another one?? Then i could just break the car and get another 180 as they're so cheap?

Sounds rediculous, but does anyone see what i mean? I could just fork out the money for a belt change, but is it really worth it these days? Tell me if im talking rubbish!
i have been thinking the same thing my belts were due in November but do not have the money to get them done i kinda feel it would be easier and cheaper to replace the engine if it goes and do the belts before a replacement went in. so the gamble goes on
Old 02-03-11, 09:38 PM   #3
Craig
Back Again!

Craig is on a distinguished road
Totally get what your saying mate. I spent 600 quid getting the belts done on my old one and looking back it was a waste of money. If I had kept the car longer then fair enough. Unfortunately mk1 180s are not worth much more than that at the moment and thats a sad statement!

Craig Darroch

Create your badge
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 09:42 PM   #4
big_wasa

big_wasa has a spectacular aura aboutbig_wasa has a spectacular aura about
I have also thought the same. The only pos for spending the cash is I wouldnt want the belts going with the familly in the car on say the M25.

My other problem is my car is going to need new calipers,discs, pads all round. A full exhaust and cats.

And my belts are unknown, well its been stamped in the service book but no reciepts to back it up.

I recon thats ?2k and wont add a penny to the value of the car. Sell it for scrap and keep the work money and its the price of a good mk2
big_wasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 10:23 PM   #5
ian zs180

mine was due in september its now on 62000 mile but the 6 years are up but i,ve gotta say its always in the back of my mind what if .As soon as i get the money together though i,m getting them done its just to much hassle having the car of the road if they go and who,s to say the engine you buy to replace the one thats in isnt rubbish at least you know with your own engine . Hopefully will have the funds to get them done in may sometime
Old 02-03-11, 10:54 PM   #6
idge2003

idge2003 will become famous soon enough
I know for certain that if mine needed doing they wouldn't be getting done not on a car worth maybe ?800-1000 I'd just take the risk! After all there's no telling if the belts go a year or even a month after having them done anyway!

Brett
MGF Steering wheel
MGTF LE500 Gear knob
Scorpion Tuner S/S cat-back
Straights in anthracite
idge2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 11:23 PM   #7
haGGard

haGGard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian zs180 View Post
who,s to say the engine you buy to replace the one thats in isnt rubbish at least you know with your own engine .

I do agree with that. Not just the engine, if the cars 100% mechanically fine, then i probably would get the belts done.

Lots of differing answers, but lots of answers saying they wouldn't bother, which is not what i expected to be honest, but at the same time, kind of reassuring as it makes me feel like im in the same boat with you.
haGGard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 07:11 AM   #8
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I will admit to pushing mine well over the 6 year limit due to costs. I was going to get them done as I intended to keep the zed anyway. When the time came for the belts to be changed they were well past their best. I fully understand the dilemma and if you are not attached to any particular 180 then yes, I would probably do the same.
Old 03-03-11, 07:45 AM   #9
midcuk

midcuk is on a distinguished road
i am thinking exactly the same, do i waste any more money on the zed or just run it in to the ground literaly and scrap if/when the belts do go
midcuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 08:21 AM   #10
lawrence-zs180

lawrence-zs180 is on a distinguished road
mine where done a few months ago but the engine had been changed and its a 01 engine on its first belts so they have got to be nearly 10 years old!