Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 23-12-12, 08:10 PM   #111
Cally180

Cally180 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
Yes
No.. Only basic heater controls and the dash itself is left inside.
Cally180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-12, 08:18 PM   #112
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Just wondering as you have Kenwood on the door........................
Old 23-12-12, 08:22 PM   #113
Cally180

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
Just wondering as you have Kenwood on the door........................
was in tribute to the old one that was fitted
Old 23-12-12, 09:31 PM   #114
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
Needs lows now
Old 23-12-12, 09:55 PM   #115
ZRed

ZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the rough
Not feeling the shopping list on the door. Looks like you rolled into Halfords and bought what they had. Cheapens your hard work IMO.
Old 12-01-13, 03:28 PM   #116
Cally180

Update:

spent a few hours today on the car setting it up for the upcoming Track day, on the 27th. we had a few more stickers to put on including a sunstrip, so got that done,

the main jobs left where:

- Bleed brakes
- Change tyres
- Decat
- Rear Strut

had been onto Opie Oils and got ourselves some Dot 5.1 brake fluid and even got a few Opie oil stickers to match... and an air freshener

so the brakes got done along with changing a few washers on the rear calliper due to it leaking - and that was a job done!

we also had a chance to put a Snap-on diagnostic box onto the car, as when it did come back from its 1st outing it brought the engine management light on. No more than 6 faults appeared which ain't too bad as two or more where the VIS units..

faults turned out to be the lambda sensor but that cleared no bother and also flagged up that the oxygen sensor was at fault, had a spare so swapped them over and that was another - Job done!

tyre are getting done next weekend got a set of pirelli p zero Corsa semi slicks to put on, maybe not as good as what I wanted, R888's, but its the next best thing, still up there with Yokohama Advans I'd say...

also removed the remaining door card, so still looking to move these on, and stripped a few wee bits and bobs as and where possible. the next thing is to perspex the windows and do away with the glass and electric window motors as the Zed continues with its diet

so that just leaves-

- Decat
- rear strut

if these don't get done by the the 27th it ain't a big loss as its all about getting out and enjoying the track day but would like to see them done sooner rather than later.

as an extra note, the suspension I showed up in a different post, decided not to go with the springs as they wont be up to the job, but what about the dampers? would they suit standard springs? I know that if you put uprated springs with standard shockers it gives you a bit of a bounce but how would this react the other way around - standard springs with uprated shockers? and would they shockers even be up to the job rating wise? again was just an extra wee bit of thinking, as I've got the suspension kit there and as its free I'd like to do something with it...

as its stands now

and if anyone notices.. yes the opie oil stickers is a bit squint.. hahaha!
Old 12-01-13, 03:33 PM   #117
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
Looking good!
Old 12-01-13, 06:06 PM   #118
Noobrider

Noobrider will become famous soon enough
Looks the biz, enjoy the track day. I reverted back to standard suspension and didn't regret it. The car stayed very flat through the bends and stuck pretty well despite the damp conditions and some part worn Dunlop Sport MAxx's, although I did step them up to 225/45's.

Drive the car on track to decide what you need to do to it. Its all about acceleration out of the corners. Watch out for your brakes fading early on, using heel and toe really saves the brake pads but gives you good stopping power.

Most importantly, have fun

Our website: http://www.maxtedsgarage.co.uk

Friend us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/maxtedandsons.garage
Noobrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-13, 06:46 PM   #119
Cally180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobrider View Post
Looks the biz, enjoy the track day. I reverted back to standard suspension and didn't regret it. The car stayed very flat through the bends and stuck pretty well despite the damp conditions and some part worn Dunlop Sport MAxx's, although I did step them up to 225/45's.

Drive the car on track to decide what you need to do to it. Its all about acceleration out of the corners. Watch out for your brakes fading early on, using heel and toe really saves the brake pads but gives you good stopping power.

Most importantly, have fun

with the suspension set-up I don't plan on making any changes this time around due to not having too much to complain about with it being standard for now. what I would like to know is what sort of affect would uprated dampers and standard springs have?

we are hoping to a good turn out the brakes this time as after this track day we might consider upgraded to better pads, was considering Yellowstuff pads but I know EBC is a swear word on here haha!!

Last edited by Cally180; 12-01-13 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-01-13, 07:46 PM   #120
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cally180 View Post
with the suspension set-up I don't plan on making any changes this time around due to not having too much to complain about with it being standard for now. what I would like to know is what sort of affect would uprated dampers and standard springs have?

we are hoping to a good turn out the brakes this time as after this track day we might consider upgraded to better pads, was considering Yellowstuff pads but I know EBC is a sware word on here haha!!
yellow stuff pads are very good, but you need to change them as soon as they are down to 3 or 4mm else they will crumble away. You shouldn't really suffer fade with yellowstuff.
Blue stuff are available as a special order, you would need to replace both front and rear pads at the same time if going blue, they will eat discs.

as for suspension, adjustable (damping) coilovers with some decent spring rates or a box of various springs, that way you can work out a decent spring rate for you and the track. Combine that with decent camber and you'll be carrying a lot more speed through the corners.

Carrying the speed through the corners will help save the brakes, but remember, brakes are for braking and gears are for going quicker, yes, you need to be in the right gear for the corner but using the gearbox to help you slow down can be quite expensive when you compare a rebuild or replacement gearbox against a set of pads. Heel and toe if done right will give you an ultra smooth downshift which helps keep the car settled and balanced.

If brakes are a mojor concern, a very cheap upgrade is accord type r calipers and 300mm discs.

Last edited by Mark S; 12-01-13 at 07:51 PM.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote