theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 21-03-10, 02:42 PM   #31
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
well there was a ZR over on .org that had 174bhp and 312lbs-ft torque - but it was running 30PSI of boost and the rollers on the day seem to be a bit suspect - by the guys admission over on .org Attached to that was the fact the owner also blew the HG to pieces very shortly afterwards - so the car has been off the road for about a year now!

So i have not broken any records with the figures - but for me it was never about the bragging rights.

It is a joy to drive it i must admit - if i want to just cruise, 5th gear and 40mph and plant the foot and off it goes....

If i want to make rapid progress use all the gears and it just flies haven't taken it out on any twisties yet, but i suspect i would scare myself silly and run out of ability if i used as much loud pedal as i used to!

All in all i am happy with the improvements in the car from 115\192 stock to 170\270 - just a bit upset i tried the wingy injectors, as this project would not have taken 2 years otherwise
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-10, 02:44 PM   #32
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
No point in having the figures and no reliability, there needs to be some sensible compromise. Sounds like you have both. Now it is time to enjoy the fruits of your labour.
Old 21-03-10, 02:50 PM   #33
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
yeah - here is hoping that we have got the reliability anyways.

the compants fitted should be up to it - just hope we dont over stress one of the OE parts we have not uprated - I will be keeping my fingers crossed tho

Infairness i also blew the HG to bits with just the wingy injectors and hybrid turbo running low boost - so i think that it is something that needs to be aware of when tuning the later L-series.

Matt has a theory that due the weakness of the timing solenoid within the pump, it start the car running too much advance that then increases the cylinder pressures and blows the HG. % wise it is not loads but it is certainly more than the older SDI's seemed to have.
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 21-03-10, 06:07 PM   #34
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Nice one pete bet your well chuffed and quite relieved lol. Those figures are very impressive

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-10, 06:13 PM   #35
p_b82
Site Supporter

Yeah when we had a few problems with the Mafless map i was starting to get a bit worried - but it turned out that there is another limiter in the ECU that we hit - you dont see it with SDI's as they are able to flow more fuel without it having to be requested explicitly...

Said to Matt that for once this time i actually am leaving really happy rather than some-what deflated

Took the car out for a quick blast earlier - was suppsoed to be longer but out lost cat turned up and we got a call from the person who had captured her so had to turn round again - still any excuse
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 21-03-10, 06:52 PM   #36
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Glad youve got it sorted, sounds like its the result you were looking for.

:wav e:
Old 29-03-10, 12:37 PM   #37
p_b82
Site Supporter

Well the car is broken again..

was thrashing it very hard on sunday and it has pissed all the coolant out of the expansion tank - via the pressure release valve.

It could just be the cap is faulty but i am a bit skeptical, but will be replacing it when i get my hands on one.

If it is not the cap, then it is HGF\headlift again.

At Matt reidy's recommendation i need to get the codes read to see if i am getting a -ve deviation error from the timing solenoid in the pump. If that is yes there is a problem, then what has happened is the car has been running with way too much advance and the cylinder pressures have gone up too much - blowing the gasket again.

So to fix that would need new pump or reconditioned one, head stripping and rechecking again, new belts and being put together once more.

If there is no -ve deviation error and the cap doesn't fix it then the problem lies elsewhere and will require some investigation. not sure where to start tho if something else causes it..

To say i am gutted is an understatment....
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 29-03-10, 12:49 PM   #38
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Words fail me...............sorry to hear you are having problems. Let's hope it is trivial and easily cured.
Old 29-03-10, 12:54 PM   #39
p_b82
Site Supporter

I hope it is easy, but not expecting it to me... when people say they saw steam coming out the back of the exhaust while i was using throttle says to me that the HG has gone again.

and that it used a further 3/4 of the expansion tank once i refilled the system getting me the the 30 miles back to bristol yesterday while only using up to 2500 rpm and part throttle susgest it is more than just the cap....

stupid car it really much prefers to live stationary in rally_matts workshop than to be driven by me it seems....
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 29-03-10, 12:55 PM   #40
Bobdope2002
Senior Pant Sniffer

Bobdope2002 is on a distinguished road
Dedication this is mate.....if it was me id have probs given up.........Good luck fixing it
Bobdope2002 is offline   Reply With Quote