theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 03-01-11, 10:51 PM   #1
Phate

Phate is an unknown quantity at this point
Everything is pointing me towards a bloomin zed!

Oh dear, probably not the best place to post this but soddit

So you all know well enough I'm trying to decide on a next car.

Currently, I'm driving a Focus Mk 1.8 which I'm happily running into the ground. Its a great car and suits my needs fine...but its so bloody boring!

Now, I'm pending about 5k in cash plus I'll be on a new contract soon (one way or the other as I have to stay in work) so I can afford to buy myself something tasty.

I've been and looked at everything. Browsed pistonheads for hours looking at anything that mildly takes my interest, my problem is to get anything properly nice I want it's out of budget, most things quick are just too expensive to justify insuring.

Pretty much every single thing points back to getting back into another ZS.

Nice beefy V6, good engine power and noise, tuneable (to a degree), I know them inside and out, good supporting community, within budget, insurable...

It just makes a lot of bloody sense to do it!

But at the same time, my last one spent a god awful amount of time off the road! I'm really having trouble deciding if its worth the potential hazards...

But then again, my last one spent so much time off the road due to it initially being stolen and being bodge repaired which caused endless problems (as you all know about)

Basically I'm really struggling finding another car I want and suits my needs and fits the requirements...good thing I like em eh! lol

What I'd like to hear is from people who specifically have 180's, use them EVERYDAY and for them to list the issues they've had, and how often...I know full well after 18 months of ownership what they can be like, but then again mine was plagued with problems due to issues mentioned above.

I'd only buy one if I found one with belts done, FSH, catch tank done, vis valves and plenum replaced if needed etc etc - so a very specific car.

So, tell me your ZS ownership storys...I'd like to know whats broken and when, how you drive it, how old it is, how many miles you do (if I get this new contract I'll be doing 300+ miles a week...with other trips normally working out 20k a year basically.

So guys, sell it to me!
Old 03-01-11, 11:14 PM   #2
haGGard

haGGard is on a distinguished road
I've only had my mk1 180 since august 2010, but so far ive had to replace:

ABS rings
Master/Slave cylinders/bracket
Camshaft and crankshaft sensors

(over 1000 pounds in parts/labour easily)

Also had problems with electric windows popping from runners, SRS sensors.

Apart from being paranoid about everything going wrong (worried the clutch will fail again, worried the fact ive not got an oil catch tank the manifold will die!) and the fact i still need the belts doing and need new disks and pads all round, its a great car.

I drive it everyday, and it always puts a smile on my face. Despite my insane insurance premiums this year, im keeping it on the road because i love it.
haGGard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-11, 11:23 PM   #3
caled

caled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nice
I wouldn't be doing 20k miles a year in a ZS 180 full stop. The amount of money you would be spending on fuel would be enough to pay off the deficit.
IMHO the only car for the job would be a diesel, and probably a 159 1.9 JTD, budget allowing. Failing that, a Mazda 6 diesel.
Old 03-01-11, 11:24 PM   #4
arwilson80
Founding Members

arwilson80 is on a distinguished road
I had mine just short of 3 years. All i had to do was replace the master / slave after it broke. Other than that i had no issues at all. Belts are probably still needing done (sold it to lil bro and told him they were due as it was 6yr old and touching 90k). I did 250 miles to work and back plus about 50-100 additional miles a week.

"People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people. Drive only with proper protection."
"You should try one. It's bloody good" - Jeremy Clarkson (commenting after driving a ZS180)
"Fines are a tax for doing bad, Taxes are a fine for doing good" - Unknown
GPS - Because guys don't know how to ask directions

MG ZS 180
3.5L V6 Ford Taurus
2.7L V6 EcoBoost Ford F150 4x4
arwilson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-11, 11:26 PM   #5
Phate

Quote:
Originally Posted by caled View Post
I wouldn't be doing 20k miles a year in a ZS 180 full stop. The amount of money you would be spending on fuel would be enough to pay off the deficit.
IMHO the only car for the job would be a diesel, and probably a 159 1.9 JTD, budget allowing. Failing that, a Mazda 6 diesel.
Fuel costs don't bother me...the 20-30mpg I got before I can live with. And with the amount of points I have I'll definately be sticking to the 30mpg region lol.
Old 03-01-11, 11:34 PM   #6
Phate

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwilson80 View Post
I had mine just short of 3 years. All i had to do was replace the master / slave after it broke. Other than that i had no issues at all. Belts are probably still needing done (sold it to lil bro and told him they were due as it was 6yr old and touching 90k). I did 250 miles to work and back plus about 50-100 additional miles a week.
Cheers...see if I got a good one and didn't have any initial hiccups...I'd imagine it'd be fine...hmmmmmmm
Old 04-01-11, 05:57 AM   #7
Alan.F

Alan.F is a jewel in the roughAlan.F is a jewel in the roughAlan.F is a jewel in the roughAlan.F is a jewel in the rough
Get a ZTT or 75 Tourer? practical cars

Alan.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 06:04 AM   #8
Phate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan.F View Post
Get a ZTT or 75 Tourer? practical cars
Sorry I didn't make myself clear. The ZS is practical enough for me

Plus I'm not a fan of the ZTT or 75.
Old 04-01-11, 06:46 AM   #9
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
The only problems I had on the Black zed that 'had' to be sorted were soggy sounder and a couple of leaks, everything else i did was upgrades i wanted...pretty sure anyways.

The green one had an 'iffy' clutch master an slave but would have replaced this with a sheddist kit anyways and the srs light says hello quite frequently the now lol.

Like you say mate, I think a great deal of your problems on teh old 180 were down to the poor crash repair and if you make sure you get a good un things will be fine
Old 04-01-11, 07:16 AM   #10
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Had mine for about 5 years, the first year was commuting to bristol from portsmouth in it, no problems...

Recent years the only thing to go wrong with it is the gearbox and clutch hydrolics, but it has never been undrivable and most of the issues were caused by shoddy workmanship from the garages I took it too!

Still on the origional VIS and Manifold so all good there!

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote